The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#121616 - 01/27/08 02:50 PM Re: EDC for formal occasions [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
With formal wear i'm surprised you didn't include a pen (formal situations would warrant something that looked nice - don't have to be expensive). For me, anything business or formal requires a pen. On that note, a small notepad doesn't hurt (trying to remember some body's name from the night before after 6 glasses of champagne isn't good ;-) ). I personally carry a small moleskine with me.

Also in formal events, having a nice supply of 5 and 10 dollar bills gets you great service, even at the open bar. Every time you get a drink, drop a 5 dollar bill down and when you come back they remember your drink and will skip over people to serve you. Little tips through out the night will make the evening go better and personally consider this a form of EDC. Besides, nice to have cash for a cab ride home ;-).

And I agree with Jim, a flashlight would be up there for me for EDC at any event. But don't have it on your car keys (possible valet situation), but have one in your pockets somewhere that you can have easy access to.

Hope you had a good time!

Kris

btw: nice knife kc2ixe!

#121617 - 01/27/08 02:52 PM Re: EDC for formal occasions [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My main shortcoming was the lack of a flashlight and I will remedy that quickly for any future events.

Another shortcoming was 2 needles threaded with black and white thread. For wardrobe malfunctions. I didn't have one except for the lack of suspenders but two people at the ball had zipper problems that I heard about. One of the small plastic ziplocks bags would be perfect.

Since I am dumb (stupid) enough to be a smoker, the lighter is NOT going to be dropped.

#121618 - 01/27/08 02:54 PM Re: EDC for formal occasions [Re: KG2V]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
One gentleman was wearing a formal kilt and I really liked the dirk that he carried. I may go for the kilt in the future, if I can figure which clan's colors my ancestral family came under.

#121620 - 01/27/08 03:15 PM Re: EDC for formal occasions [Re: Kris]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: Kris
With formal wear i'm surprised you didn't include a pen (formal situations would warrant something that looked nice - don't have to be expensive). For me, anything business or formal requires a pen. On that note, a small notepad doesn't hurt (trying to remember some body's name from the night before after 6 glasses of champagne isn't good ;-) ). I personally carry a small moleskine with me.

I carry a Levenger pocket briefcase. The personalized cards are good for handing out, and I get a lot of compliments on the whole unit.

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=16-900|Level=2-3|PageID=2398|Link=Img

Edited by jaywalke (01/27/08 03:15 PM)

#121621 - 01/27/08 03:25 PM Re: EDC for formal occasions [Re: wildman800]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: wildman800

Another shortcoming was 2 needles threaded with black and white thread. For wardrobe malfunctions.

That is a good idea. But instead of carrying multiple types of thread, why not just some fishing line that would work with almost any colour. Just have to get the dull looking type (for lack of a better description and proper model names). Don't want the shiny stuff.

And probably to add to this would be replacement shoe laces (not paracord as it probably wouldn't fit the holes in a dress shoes - not to mention it would stand out and formal events are all about being visually conservative). I did this when I was living on the road for a few years as a contractor. Shoe laces (no matter what they are made out of) would fail at the wrong time.

#121622 - 01/27/08 03:28 PM Re: EDC for formal occasions [Re: jaywalke]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: jaywalke

I carry a Levenger pocket briefcase. The personalized cards are good for handing out, and I get a lot of compliments on the whole unit.

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=16-900|Level=2-3|PageID=2398|Link=Img

I like that product!

#121626 - 01/27/08 04:22 PM Re: EDC for formal occasions [Re: Kris]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Too large for me. I made one from a plastic CD binder and a stick-on business card pocket.

Holds the small memo pads, and about tennish business cards. Looks nice. Fits inside dress shirt front pocket alongside a pen and mechanical pencil, all side by side (no bulge).

#121633 - 01/27/08 06:07 PM Re: EDC for formal occasions [Re: wildman800]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I've actually thought about this before too. I like the idea of slim pocket knife with a single blade with a fine handle. Bone or wood or shiny metal. Slim, so it's inconspicuous in the pocket, but with a decent sized blade. Either of these two would make nice inexpensive choices:Swiss Army solo alox, Swiss Army bantam alox One of the photon type lights for illumination with the the clip removed (just a touch smaller in the pocket). A handkerchief or pocket square for all of its utility. The cellphone is a maybe, useful, but not something I necessarily want to carry in a formal setting. But a nice pen and pad are something I like to carry, and for professionals a few business cards are always a good idea. And the slim zippo is probably the best choice for fire.

#121646 - 01/27/08 07:28 PM Re: EDC for formal occasions [Re: Brangdon]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I've brought my gerber tool to a wedding -- just in case...

#121650 - 01/27/08 07:44 PM Re: EDC for formal occasions [Re: teacher]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I got married 20 years ago with a SAK Lumberjack in my pocket, I do not remember if it was to slit my wrists or just EDC?

I also gave my 2 Groomsmen thin Buck knives as a gift, we called them dress knives.

I now carry a SAK Farmer for the odd time I am in a suit.

Mike

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.