The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#292857 - 08/02/19 12:28 PM Lifeboat Rations
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Of the four major brands (Mainstay, Datrex, Millenium and UST) is there one that is better than the others? Which should be avoided? Is there any warning I need to know about such as it is best to not eat than to eat one of these?

Jeanette Isabelle

#292858 - 08/02/19 12:56 PM Re: Lifeboat Rations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I think of ER Bars and Mayday as being major brands for this as well.

My recommendation is to buy one of each and test for your people and your situation. The Millennium Bars and ER Bars are popular with my young'uns, other options not as much. Some were excluded from my personal testing (I won't eat anything coconut flavored, for example).

#292860 - 08/02/19 08:56 PM Re: Lifeboat Rations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I could eat the Datrex rations every day! Maybe I am a weirdo but I really love them. The other brands...not so much.

#292861 - 08/04/19 02:43 AM Re: Lifeboat Rations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Of those, I have only ever tried the Mainstay and UST. I like them, the flavor isn't overpowering or off putting, they're not greasy but are very crumbly.

I also like the little Russian lifeboat rations.

#292862 - 08/04/19 04:30 AM Re: Lifeboat Rations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Where can one find the Russian ones? Short of going to Russia to get them, that is. wink

#292866 - 08/04/19 10:18 PM Re: Lifeboat Rations [Re: Phaedrus]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Amazon or Ebay has them, but prices vary wildly... I think I ended up paying around $15-16 for a pack of 3 (one had lost its vacuum seal)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FPLP1QQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_FH1rDb0GDD43B

Here's a review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KNPYxvKMAg

Doesn't look very appetizing, but it tastes pretty good, sweet but not overpowering.

Texture when eating is a little hard to describe. It looks hard but crumbles easily like most lifeboat rations so you won't need to bite hard, but it also dissolves slightly in your mouth as you eat it kind of like these little wafer bars

Edited by Burncycle (08/04/19 10:23 PM)

#292868 - 08/05/19 06:30 AM Re: Lifeboat Rations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Cool! I'll check 'em out. The ones at Amazon, the Rusky ones, look almost exactly like Datrex rats.

#292879 - 08/06/19 01:42 PM Re: Lifeboat Rations [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I I am ever on a lifeboat for an extended period of time, I am sure that I will relish lifeboat rations. In any other situation, it is dreadfully easy to equip onesself with food that is more nutritious, tasty, and appealing than a bunch of chemically laced crackers.

Of course, my standards probably aren't all that high. I just finished a trip where three straight evening meals were canned beef stew (plus a few veggies).

#292881 - 08/06/19 01:59 PM Re: Lifeboat Rations [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I I am ever on a lifeboat for an extended period of time, I am sure that I will relish lifeboat rations. In any other situation, it is dreadfully easy to equip onesself with food that is more nutritious, tasty, and appealing than a bunch of chemically laced crackers.

My thoughts on the matter (and the reason for posting my question) is to use a lifeboat ration as a side item for other food items such as a freeze-dried meal.

The advantage of a lifeboat ration is obvious, pack a lot of substance for its space and weight. However, it can't be a complete meal.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292882 - 08/06/19 02:09 PM Re: Lifeboat Rations [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What is it with people who need to have something different every night and yet feed their dog the same stale kibble for weeks/months on end. Three nights of beef stew with some green veggies added sounds delish...

I pulled a can of beef stew out of the stock that was way past its expiration date. Tasted just fine and I had no ill effects. I added some dehydrated peas that are first rehydrated and then mixed in — easy pea-sy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.