Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#292615 - 06/29/19 10:51 PM Weak Hand Training....
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Background.... I am a firearms safety and shooting instructor. In teaching skill for that..... I always taught 'weak hand' shooting. Shooting using your non-dominant hand.

Carrying that over to emergency prep.... I challenge you. go about your normal routines with one difference. Change hands.

Brush your teeth with your other hand.

Pour your drink with the other hand...and drink it that way too.

Shave with your opposite hand.

Clean yourself with the opposite hand (think toilet).

Try writing.

You will soon realize a simple task has become so much harder. You will come to appreciate how second nature some things have become and will come away with some very good skills.

#292616 - 06/29/19 11:33 PM Re: Weak Hand Training.... [Re: CJK]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Good idea.

After I suffered a repetitive strain injury, I had to learn to use a computer mouse with my left hand. This for intensive freelance work, editing and reformatting technical manuals, with deadlines to meet. It took a little time, but I nailed it down. I find the fine motor control still takes a little extra mental focus and attention, but once you learn a weak hand skill you never forget.

#292618 - 06/29/19 11:59 PM Re: Weak Hand Training.... [Re: CJK]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Build a fire with only your weak hand. Use your survival kit with only your weak hand. This was strongly advocated by Peter Kummerfeldt. It can be a challenge.

#292659 - 07/04/19 04:36 AM Re: Weak Hand Training.... [Re: CJK]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I never seem to have the money to get out and train as often as I would like, and even then there's often little left for one handed shooting (strong or weak side). Shooting one handed, even strong handed, can be deceptively difficult and it certainly humbled me.

I think perhaps the ultimate test would be something like the cold water challenge that went around youtube for a while -- they immersed themselves (clothes and all) into water during freezing conditions, and then got out and tried to make a self sustaining fire with a ferro rod. Presumably they have safety measures in place (heated car, dry clothes, someone with them)... it would be bad enough with two hands, I can't even imagine the difficulty of doing that with one handed with the non dominant hand.

Edited by Burncycle (07/04/19 04:37 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.