Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#292352 - 05/29/19 03:17 AM Gray man kit
teacher Offline
Old Hand

What do you put in your various kits to blend in? Do you 'tone down' your look?

#292369 - 05/29/19 01:29 PM Re: Gray man kit [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I tend to dress conservatively. My look tends to be toned down all the time. Today, I'll be in my Business Traveler Camouflage Uniform: Black dress shoes, black socks, nice jeans, navy button-down shirt, and medium-grey blazer. My laptop bag and duffel look vaguely tactical but are both black and relatively inconspicuous. Nobody gives me a second look.

My favorite item that helps me pass unnoticed in urban and suburban situations is undoubtedly my rain shell. It's black, doesn't have any reflective components or fancy-looking logos (if you look closely you'll see it's made by Columbia, no affiliation), is a size larger than I need for layering, and can cover a multitude of sartorial sins, at least from the waist up. I've worn it successfully from 100 degrees to 10 degrees Farenheit with appropriate layering. It keeps me warm, dry and inconspicuous. It doesn't look unusual except when the weather is hot, dry and windless.

There's another one just like it I keep in a kit.

#292376 - 05/29/19 11:58 PM Re: Gray man kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I dress in various ways,depending on my mood and what I will be doing. A fair amount of my clothing is quite bright and conspicuous, and some of it is reasonably dull. Not much of my gear is tactical;that is mostly a marketing term for heavy, specialized gear. I am not spending much time on battlefields these days.

When doing SAR, I and my comrades spent a lot of time looking for people wearing tan shirts and gray pants or other inconspicuous colors, not always successfully. Some bright clothing would have helped the search effort. It is a good idea to have something conspicuous so you can stand out.

One of the best items I ever had wass a light reversible down jacket - one side was a dark green; the other was international orange. Both colors came in handy in different situations.

#292411 - 06/05/19 02:05 AM Re: Gray man kit [Re: teacher]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
The duffle bag for clothes that stays in the car trunk has a pair of khaki or OD green cargo pants and a pack of gray pocket T-shirts. Everyday wear are 5.11 Stryke pants in black or khaki. The cargo pockets on the 5.11's are placed higher on the leg so anything in them doesn't hang in my knee joint like most cargo pants. They are also more fitted in the cargo pockets so they lay flat unless you have something in them.

#292418 - 06/07/19 07:33 PM Re: Gray man kit [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

+1 on having something bright colored. A hat, scarf or jacket can make a big difference. (I have a 1 meter orange fleece scarf)

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.