Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#292276 - 05/12/19 05:31 PM Grabbing Your Bag When Running Off Burning Plane?
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

Why Do You Grab Your Bag When Running Off a Burning Plane?

Not sure how much it would help, but perhaps the safety lecture on commercial flights could reasonably cut out the part about how to buckle a seat belt and replace it with a couple of direct statements like, "In case of an emergency evacuation, leave all overhead bins closed and leave your carry-on luggage behind."

#292277 - 05/12/19 06:01 PM Re: Grabbing Your Bag When Running Off Burning Plane? [Re: Michael2]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I am surprised that overhead bins are not locked when the plane is in motion (i.e., not sitting parked at is origination or destination gate).

This would help with the idiots trying to drag their luggage out with them during an emergency.

And it would probably help with the inconsiderate who carry ridiculous amounts of carry-on hogging up all the bins. Once they found out the only thing you can access during the flight is the "personal item" that fits under your seat. Actually, under the seat in front of you, so that your personal item impacts your leg room, not somebody elses.

I'm talking remote controlled locks where one button push from the cockpit could lock/unlock everything at one time.

#292278 - 05/12/19 08:16 PM Re: Grabbing Your Bag When Running Off Burning Plane? [Re: Michael2]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
haertig, I’ve spent some time considering this question, and here’s what I think.

If an overhead bin won’t latch, the plane isn’t allowed to leave the gate. I’ve been on a flight where one of the bins wouldn’t latch and they had to move the luggage out of it, and fly with it open and empty.

What does it do to the airline’s maintenance costs and on-time performance if we add a another system that can break?

#292279 - 05/12/19 09:11 PM Re: Grabbing Your Bag When Running Off Burning Plane? [Re: Michael2]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Everything will cost something to maintain, hard to get around that.

As far as on time performance, airlines allowing passengers to blatantly exceed carry-on baggage limits and rules certainly does not help that. And it's not so good for safety either. And this is ignoring the irritation to other passengers who follow the rules. As far as how unsafe extra baggage in the passenger compartment is, I don't know. Common sense would tell you the less the better though.

Plus, the airlines have already found a way around on-time performance. Back many years ago, the flight from Austin to Denver (one I've taken many many times) used to take a tad over 1-1/2 hours, and they advertised the flight time as 1:45. Then they started advertising it as 2:00. Now, I think they're up to advertising it as 2:15. I'm pretty sure the two cities did not move farther apart. Pretty much these days, any continental US flight could probably divert to Tasmania during an emergency, and still manage to make their scheduled destination on time. And that's with in-air refueling and a stopover in Hawaii for mandatory pilot rest.

#292280 - 05/12/19 10:18 PM Re: Grabbing Your Bag When Running Off Burning Plane? [Re: Michael2]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I know this does not apply to all situations; I wonder how often a passenger retrieves their bag thinking "My life-saving medications are in my bag! I'll die without them." It does not have to be Rx medications. It could be something else.

In any case, if a passenger is of the mindset they are equally screwed deboarding the aircraft without their bag as they are remaining aboard a burning jet, any attempt in getting that passenger to leave their bag would further delay the deboarding process. Convincing them otherwise is futile because perception becomes a reality.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292281 - 05/12/19 10:22 PM Re: Grabbing Your Bag When Running Off Burning Plane? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
"My life-saving medications are in my bag! I'll die without them."

Then those meds should be in their pocket or in a fanny pack attached to their body, not their carry-on bag.

#292282 - 05/12/19 10:28 PM Re: Grabbing Your Bag When Running Off Burning Plane? [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: haertig
Then those meds should be in their pocket or in a fanny pack attached to their body, not their carry-on bag.

What if those items cannot fit in her pockets and she prefers a purse to a fanny pack?

Jeanette Isabelle

#292283 - 05/13/19 01:45 AM Re: Grabbing Your Bag When Running Off Burning Plane? [Re: Michael2]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I think we can all agree that there are trade-offs involved.

I also think we can all understand that the airlines will do whatever they can to displace risks/costs onto others (see the existence of the TSA) and minimize their already tremendous regulatory burdens (see how they lobby).

The airlines already do a good job of keeping aisles and passenger footwells clear in my experience, and US flagged airlines are extremely safe compared to other forms of transportation. What would the costs be vs. the benefits of locking overhead bins? I don't know.

#292284 - 05/13/19 04:51 AM Re: Grabbing Your Bag When Running Off Burning Plane? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

What if those items cannot fit in her pockets and she prefers a purse to a fanny pack?

A purse can be worn so it is on a persons body all time with the strap worn across body. That way you can jump up and start running and purse comes with you automatically.

Edited by Herman30 (05/13/19 04:54 AM)

#292285 - 05/13/19 08:46 AM Re: Grabbing Your Bag When Running Off Burning Plane? [Re: Michael2]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

People are not rational actors. There are lots of factors involved.

- Lots of people default to routines. Need to evacuate a building? Most will take the same route as they got in.

- Our brains don't jump into the flee reflex until the last moment. Although that can be a good thing, as most will act rationally first, but a little too slow then they should.

You need to prime your brains by training. People who are used to thinking and acting quickly, be in sports of work, have an edge on this. Getting into a realistic evacuation drill on a plane is hard. But you can run the steps you need to take to evacuate the plane, front or backside, in your head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.