Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#292216 - 04/23/19 01:15 AM Global Bushcraft Symposium
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Just in case you have not been following the "Global Bushcraft Symposium" is being run just north of Calgary, Canada on June 10th till 14th 2019. Speakers include the best survival and bushcraft instructors including Mors Kochanski, Lars Falt, David Wescott, Paul Kirtley, Les Stroud and dozens of others.

This is a not to be missed event if you are a Survival or Bushcraft Instructor or have any want to improve your skills by learning form and interacting with most of the best Instructors in the world.

This really is a once in a decade event and it should be fantastic. I will be out teaching at the Shelter Camp.

Easily registration discount is available until the end of April and accommodations can be at the Camp or camping.

Global Bushcraft Symposium
boreal.net

#292218 - 04/23/19 02:32 AM Re: Global Bushcraft Symposium [Re: BruceZed]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very cool! I saw a teaser video promoting it.

#292221 - 04/23/19 01:27 PM Re: Global Bushcraft Symposium [Re: BruceZed]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Oh dear! This seems just a bit over the top...What is next? Academic departments offering majors in Bushcraft/Survival with emphasis on ad hoc fire construction?

Bushcraft and Survival is an "industry"?? Where do I buy shares of General Bushcraft??

I'll admit the session on Bushcraft and Archaeology sounds intriguing. After all, archaeologists do study primitive techniques and earn academic honors in doing so...

Still, sounds like fun. But where are the sessions on desert survival? survival at sea?

#292225 - 04/23/19 05:21 PM Re: Global Bushcraft Symposium [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

No Sea or Jungle, just Just Northern Temperate survival as that is what most of the Professional Survival or Bushcraft Instructors in Canada, US, UK and Sweden specializes in. Their are plenty of Desert instructors like Dave Westcott coming.

There are no shares in this conference, as no one is making any money running or appearing at the GBS, its a non-profit run only to allow us to pay some of the travel costs of the speakers need to travel from else where.

Professional survival and bushcraft teaching is an industry, I have made a living at it for 25 years so far and this conference is a way of us giving back and honoring the masters who taught us like Mors Kochanski, Dave Westcott and Lars Feld.
boreal.net

#292228 - 04/24/19 12:23 AM Re: Global Bushcraft Symposium [Re: BruceZed]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I’m sorry I won’t be able to make it. I hope you’ll write us a review!

#292230 - 04/24/19 02:05 PM Re: Global Bushcraft Symposium [Re: BruceZed]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Bruce, my apologies for a post that on reflection is just a bit too snarkey. There are indeed some worthwhile subjects discussed at the symposium.

Still, I roll my eyes at items like "Decision Making Model in Survival" or "Bushcraft as a pattern to male initiation". Why in the world would anyone want to throw a hatchet? - looks like a really good way to lose or damage a useful tool/

I suppose "bushcraft" is a perfectly harmless pastime, and indeed, it blends into experimental archaeology and provides worthwhile insights into the past. Survival requires the ability to improvise and adapt, using whatever technology is available and appropriate. When I am climbing, I prefer the very latest high tech rope, not some random jungle vine

I I were to attend, I would likely catch your presentation of Super Shelters - they look like a pretty nifty way to get comfortable.

Edited by hikermor (04/24/19 03:39 PM)

#292232 - 04/24/19 02:34 PM Re: Global Bushcraft Symposium [Re: BruceZed]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Hatchet throwing -- which I haven't tried yet -- looks pretty cool to me for recreation. Like archery, target shooting, knife throwing, and so on, there are martial as well as other aspects to it that people find enjoyable.

Many years of enjoyment in competitive shooting may have biased my opinion on this point laugh.

#292233 - 04/24/19 04:35 PM Re: Global Bushcraft Symposium [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

No problem buddy, I seem to have a shorter fuzz myself lately

Cheers
boreal.net

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.