The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#292165 - 04/11/19 01:48 PM Darn Tough Socks
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I thought we already had a thread on this subject. I searched for it; couldn't find it.

I've known about Darn Tough Socks at least a few years; when I saw the following video, I gave them serious consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaHQTwEdK6c

For those who have used these socks, do they outlast you?

Jeanette Isabelle

#292166 - 04/11/19 02:16 PM Re: Darn Tough Socks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My Darn Tough socks probably will outlast me; for comfort I prefer Smartwool socks. I have Smartwool socks in No cushion (wearing as I type), light cushion and medium cushion. For warmth it’s hard to beat a pair of Smartwool liner socks paired with your favorite weight of wool/wool blend outer socks. YMMV, usually does.

#292167 - 04/11/19 06:24 PM Re: Darn Tough Socks [Re: Russ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
No sock ever made would last forever with my feet. I've got very long big toes and worse yet the left big toe is 2 sizes larger than the right one. So I am constantly poking holes in my socks right where Mr. Big is. smile
If I had a penchant for darning - I could lessen my spending on replacements just by repairing these holes. But for the best bang for the money, I buy my wool socks at Costco and since I wear wool socks 99% of the time, it is just easier for me to replace the holey socks with new ones.

Edit: just watched the video. I didn't realize this was from Canadian Prepper (he lives about 3 hrs from me in Martensville, SK). So these socks should be available in my area. I still don't think these would last any longer than Costco wool but if there is a lifetime warranty, I could run this company out of business exchanging them every couple of months!

#292168 - 04/11/19 08:06 PM Re: Darn Tough Socks [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I also get my socks from Costco. With properly fitted, well broken in footgear, almost any sock will do. They are not a big deal.

#292169 - 04/11/19 08:54 PM Re: Darn Tough Socks [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I also get my socks from Costco. With properly fitted, well broken in footgear, almost any sock will do. They are not a big deal.

If Mrs. Magnet heard you say that there'd be a great deal of what our children think we don't know they call Involuntary Education.

A Princess and the Pea analogy may be in order with Mrs. Magnet and her socks.

#292170 - 04/12/19 04:29 AM Re: Darn Tough Socks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
For those who have used these socks, do they outlast you?

Well, if they do, I wouldn't know about it (you'd have to ask one of my survivors).

I also buy my everyday socks at Costco. For hiking, I wear SmartWool socks and Vasque boots.

#292171 - 04/12/19 11:17 AM Re: Darn Tough Socks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
It seems everybody, except me, buys their socks from Costco. I go to Sam's Club.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292172 - 04/12/19 01:12 PM Re: Darn Tough Socks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I buy my socks at REI or Road Runner Sports (RRS). The socks I bought from Costco did not outlast me.

#292173 - 04/12/19 05:23 PM Re: Darn Tough Socks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Ran across the 'darn tough' socks a couple of years ago when the local construction big-box store quit carrying the ones I had liked and used for many years. While the darn tough socks are expensive - I have been very impressed with them over the last two years where I wear a pair every day.

I also got one pair of SmartWool socks and they are great too but the darn tough ones just "felt" better to me so I went that way for no reason more than that.

I usually wear boots and walk a lot too and these have really held up for me. I used to wear out a sock in about a year or less of use - the heels and back just above the heel would wear out and sometimes the toe area. I did the darning thing a bit but it was a pain for only a couple of months additional life.

The oldest pair of darn tough is now at two plus years and I am not sure which one it is when doing the wash as they look/feel as good as the new ones purchased at the start of the this year (Christmas money!). With that, I recommend them but YMMV!

Paul -

#292174 - 04/15/19 04:21 AM Re: Darn Tough Socks [Re: pforeman]
sgt253 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
I have been wearing Darn Tough exclusively for 11 years. They have held up fantastically well. When needed, their warranty has been spot on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.