Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#292131 - 04/06/19 11:52 PM Re: How Far Will You Go to Survive? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The subject of killing in self-defense does belong because I believe "do not murder [unjustified killing]" was written on the conscience of every human.

Though I try to be respectful of the rule banning religious discussions, I should have elaborated when I said, "There is something specific I will not do to survive." In my belief, there is something specific that you do not do. To avoid religious discussions, I will not mention what that is unless approved by the administration.

If it were to come to that, go against what I believe and survive or stand firm and die, I would be doing a lot of praying to have the strength to do what is right. For those who do believe strongly in something, what would you do in that situation?

Jeanette Isabelle

#292133 - 04/07/19 01:49 PM Re: How Far Will You Go to Survive? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
For me, there is nothing that would be off the table. Everything would be a possibility open for consideration. I would not set anything aside from consideration in advance. There are many things I would certainly not want to consider, and many things I don't think I would do (as I mentioned above, I wouldn't kill someone to take their stuff, but I would kill them to defend myself).

If the time comes, would I actually kill someone if they were intentionally threatening my survival? That, I can't answer. I can only answer that, yes, I have trained and equipped myself to do so. But would I? I can't answer that in advance. FWIW, I don't consider self defense to be murder. Some people do. I don't.

#292134 - 04/07/19 02:04 PM Re: How Far Will You Go to Survive? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is interesting and kind of sad that this discussion of survival has focused on the standard, rather weary survivalist scenarioin which society collapses, we all turn to violence in protecting our stash from those who would take it and we go down the rabbit hole of how much ammo, what caliber, etc.

I find these discussion rather tedious because I think if you look at historical instances of tough times, while violence and crime may increase, total anarchy is rather rare. In fact, there is often cooperation, assistance, and aid, sometimes at significant risk.

There are other survival scenarios which are rather common that don't involve social strife. Think of situations like lost and confused hikers caught up in an unanticipated storm, auto accidents or breakdowns on isolated roads. Here the positive side of humanity often appears and folks aid and assist one another, sometimes at real risk to themselves.

Doing volunteer SAR, I and my team mates have sometimes inserted ourselves into seemingly risky situations, but we were trained and equipped for conditions. I vividly remember one operation, deep in a mine shaft, where the situation got a bit out of hand, and I, my companion, and our victims were at considerable risk, but our team mates on the surface pulled through (literally!) and got us out.

The point being that you don't always make a conscious decision to take an unreasonable risk - the situation comes to you and you have to deal with it, since you have this odd desire to keep on living.

Most of my survival situation have involve dealing with natural forces and conditions - hot Arizona deserts, numbing cold, steep and troublesome terrain, dark caves, etc., not social unrest. Often folks cooperate in those conditions in order to survive. To what lengths will you go? You won't know until tested.

I realize that social unrest and crime exists, and one might have to turn to violence to legitimately protect ones self and others, but, rankly, that is rather rare,much less common than cooperation and aid in the ace of adversity.

#292135 - 04/07/19 02:20 PM Re: How Far Will You Go to Survive? [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
FWIW, I don't consider self defense to be murder. Some people do. I don't.

Some feel conflicted and understandably so; I do agree with you. Though both are ugly and unpleasant, murder and self-defense are not the same.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292136 - 04/07/19 02:38 PM Re: How Far Will You Go to Survive? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
It is interesting and kind of sad that this discussion of survival has focused on the standard, rather weary survivalist scenarioin which society collapses, we all turn to violence in protecting our stash from those who would take it and we go down the rabbit hole of how much ammo, what caliber, etc.

Committing a violent act to survive is not what I considered when I write the opening post; nevertheless, all answers members have posted are valid.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292137 - 04/07/19 04:07 PM Re: How Far Will You Go to Survive? [Re: M_a_x]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Dave Grossman authored a book on a related topic. He states that in wars before Vietnam a substantial portion of the soldiers intentionally did not shoot at the enemy. So chances are that even if they do not freeze up they would not shoot at a person.
Itīs not a particularly pleasant experience to find out that you would be capable of enough violence to severly injure an other human being.

This idea originated from the work of S.L.A. Marshall, the Army's Chief Historian in WW2 and Korea. Critics have since seriously questioned his work in coming up with the 'Ratio of Fire' -

Wiki -

Some veterans and historians have cast doubt on Marshall's research methods.[12] Professor Roger J. Spiller (Deputy Director of the Combat Studies Institute, US Army Command and General Staff College) argues in his 1988 article, "S. L. A. Marshall and the Ratio of Fire" (RUSI Journal, Winter 1988, pages 63–71), that Marshall had not actually conducted the research upon which he based his ratio-of-fire theory. "The 'systematic collection of data' appears to have been an invention."[13] This revelation has called into question the authenticity of some of Marshall's other books and has lent academic weight to doubts about his integrity that had been raised in military circles even decades earlier.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.L.A._Marshall

Edited by brandtb (04/07/19 04:08 PM)

#292138 - 04/07/19 04:30 PM Re: How Far Will You Go to Survive? [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
It is interesting and kind of sad that this discussion of survival has focused on the standard, rather weary survivalist scenarioin which society collapses...

I thought the original question that started this thread was "How far would you go?" Further clarified in that first post with "Is there something that you will not do?"

That's asking for the extreme. Not for whether we'd choose matches or a lighter. What different direction were you expecting this thread to take given that initial question?

#292139 - 04/07/19 06:24 PM Re: How Far Will You Go to Survive? [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

I thought the original question that started this thread was "How far would you go?" Further clarified in that first post with "Is there something that you will not do?"

That's asking for the extreme. Not for whether we'd choose matches or a lighter. What different direction were you expecting this thread to take given that initial question

To answer that question, I have to take it in private.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292140 - 04/07/19 07:26 PM Re: How Far Will You Go to Survive? [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is interesting and kind of sad that this discussion of survival has focused on the standard, rather weary survivalist scenarioin which society collapses...

That's asking for the extreme. Not for whether we'd choose matches or a lighter. What different direction were you expecting this thread to take given that initial question?

Apparently, there is some great question which can only be discussed in private, not in the open on this forum, so I assume there must be political or religious overtones which render this subject toxic. Big deal.

Something I hope I would not do in a survival situation is knowingly perform an act which would result in my survival, at the expense of the failure to survive of another. I have never been tested in a situation of this nature, so I don't know precisely how I would perform. Until tested, how does one know if they pass?

#292141 - 04/07/19 08:05 PM Re: How Far Will You Go to Survive? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Quote:
Apparently, there is some great question which can only be discussed in private, not in the open on this forum, so I assume there must be political or religious overtones which render this subject toxic.

Makes me wonder why start a discussion if it contains subjects that can not be discussed.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.