Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#292085 - 04/03/19 01:43 PM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

$25 spent on something that does accomplish the necessary task is $25 wasted.

#292086 - 04/03/19 03:14 PM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Debating which box of bandaids is the better value is a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. When the Big One rolls around (or any other significant disaster, for that matter) one will soon exhaust the available supplies. What will be of most value is training/experience of first responders and their knowledge to appropriately improvise treatment.

Knowledge and skills are the most useful elements in any FAK.

#292087 - 04/03/19 04:27 PM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Debating which box of bandaids is the better value is a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. When the Big One rolls around (or any other significant disaster, for that matter) one will soon exhaust the available supplies. What will be of most value is training/experience of first responders and their knowledge to appropriately improvise treatment.

Knowledge and skills are the most useful elements in any FAK.

Amen!

#292088 - 04/03/19 05:16 PM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Jeanette Marantos wrote her article for those who have good intentions but have yet to make it happen. She recommended a $35 FAK. I'm saying that the targeted audience (those who neither have the training nor a FAK) can get a better FAK for $25.

Hikermor said, "Ideally, a FAK should be fine tuned to the capabilities and training o the person(s) using it. The very best and most cost effective FAK is the one you assemble yourself."

Again, Jeanette Marantos wrote her article for those who have good intentions. The target audience is not going to assemble a FAK fine-tuned to their capabilities and training. That audience, if they do get a FAK, will get an off-the-shelf kit.

Yes, my recommendation is 49% bandaids (if you include the wound closer strips); if we were to compare the two kits side by side, we would see that they, more or less, have the same contents. My recommendation has more medications, ointments and cleaning items. Hers has two additional 4" x 4" gauze pads, one extra gauze roll, an extra triangular bandage, two hydrocortisone cream packs and an emergency blanket.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292091 - 04/03/19 08:32 PM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Neither kit is particularly close to what i would prefer to have in the event o a significant event like an EQ, but the $35 is marginally better. The one currently on hand has more splint material, a BP cuff, stethoscope, gauze, etc and has served usefully in several trauma cases over the past forty years (Not so many in recent years, as my active SAR events are probably behind me).

One thing I learned is that when you need an item, you really need it, and what you might have paid or it is rather insignificant. This is true of first aid items, good equipment, and a whole lot of useful things. Price has to be a factor, but it should not be overwhelming.

Could you please move that deck chair 3.48 inches to the right? It is blocking my view of that iceberg....

#292093 - 04/03/19 09:14 PM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I apologize to all for bringing emergency kits into this thread.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.