The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#292058 - 03/27/19 03:13 PM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You probably aren’t missing the point, other than that comment was for the group at large and not just one person. My point is that the items we carry cannot do good things for you us if you we don’t know how to use them. IIRC you, Jeanette, do carry things in your FAK that you don’t have the skill to use; you acknowledge that fact, those things are for someone with the requisite skill to use; I like that approach. I also have items in my FAK I can’t use to full effect, but there are a lot of doctors, nurses and EMT’s out there that might be able to do good things if only they had that item I/you can’t use.

#292059 - 03/27/19 03:35 PM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: Russ
Why you carry anything really is a question we need to ask ourselves. The answer is for each of us to determine for ourselves. If we are carrying something because we think the items inside will do good things for us, we’re missing the point.

Experience tells me what I need to carry. With that, what is the point I'm missing?

Jeanette Isabelle

If I understood Russ properly the point is that just carrying and hoping is not enough. One has to be reasonably sure that the items actually work and have the skills to use the items.

#292060 - 03/27/19 03:53 PM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Highwayman]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Test and practice with all of your gear. Learn to use it effectively.

Adapt your kit and what you carry to the environment and situation. Think about where you are going, what you will be doing and how you will be getting there. Adjust accordingly.

Learning, training, practice and experience are the most valuable things in your kit. Your brain is your most valuable tool.

#292061 - 03/27/19 04:54 PM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
IIRC you, Jeanette, do carry things in your FAK that you don’t have the skill to use; you acknowledge that fact, those things are for someone with the requisite skill to use; I like that approach.

Regarding my "main" FAK, that is true. I don't EDC my "main" FAK. Instead, I EDC my Traveler Kit which has undergone a few modifications. I know how to use everything in that kit.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01423/traveler-kit.html

I also built a kit identical to the Bleeding & CPR Advanced Kit for my EDC bag.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01426rd/bleeding-cpr-advanced-kit.html

I'm not 100% happy with it because it is not possible to include a C-A-T. I need a tourniquet I can easily apply in a high-stress situation and one handed if need be. An alternative I'm considering for my EDC bag is the LIFE Kit Basic, C-A-T Tourniquet.

https://www.chinookmed.com/item/06010pa/chinook-medical-gear-inc.-life-kit-basic/1.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#292062 - 03/27/19 08:13 PM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Highwayman]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I know the PSP was designed to be non-expiring but I do add some Aquatabs. They're compact and I rotate them. Should I forget too then I can still try them or just discard them and be no worse off than I was. A few things can be crammed in, especially if a few things are removed.

If nothing else the PSP is/was a great bargain! You could part it out and get the contents for less than they generally cost individually.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.