Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#292047 - 03/26/19 03:02 AM Upgrading old PSP kit?
Highwayman Offline
Stranger

Loc: Illinois
I spent my high school years reading every article on the site, bought a PSP kit with one of my first paychecks. Through college and to now ten years later, I've stayed a general prepper and casual camper and backpacker. It's warming up in Chicago, and I'm spending the last of winter auditing and reconsidering my backpacking gear to save weight and learn some new skills. Regardless of whatever was in my pack, I always, always, had my old PSP tucked into my cargo pocket or fleece pocket. Digging it out of my on-body kit drawer, I'm laying it all out and giving it more consideration after a few years of just trusting that it was always on me.

If I absolutely had to live off the contents of one pocket, it would be the PSP. But looking at my full EDC options, I'm starting to wonder what I could remove from the kit in favor of a full-size or upgraded tool carried on-body. For example, the nylon cord...Why not a hank of Zing it or similar high-strength line? I've never fished in my life, I think I can leave behind the hooks and lures. The foil, I'm not fully sold on. Just noticed my Micropur tablets expired...Whoops.

If you had to add to, swap, or optimize how you carry a PSP...What would you add or change? How do you personally carry it?

#292048 - 03/26/19 12:54 PM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Highwayman]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The most important additions to the PSP for me go like this, in order of precedence:
  • Heatsheets 2-person emergency blanket — this just about doubles the bulk of the PSP, but in my mind it’s worth it
  • Chlorine dioxide tablets and a backup water container (I’m a fan of the Aqua Pouch but the Whirl-Pak included in the PSP+ works fine)
  • A backup knife of some kind
  • A mini-Bic

#292049 - 03/26/19 04:30 PM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Highwayman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What is in the kit you are upgrading?

One thing I usually add is a bivvy (bivouac) bag -size depending upon the conditions I might experience. I also include a multitool, usually a Skeletool.

#292051 - 03/26/19 06:06 PM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Highwayman]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Shelter-Heatsheet
Water-Aqua Pouch
Cordage-550 or kevlar (for smaller packages I use a roll of dental floss)
Fire-I might add some storm proof matches and tinder
Tool-multi tool depends on how and where I am carrying it, always a Swiss Army Knife

#292052 - 03/26/19 06:33 PM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Highwayman]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Highwayman
I spent my high school years reading every article on the site, bought a PSP kit with one of my first paychecks. Through college and to now ten years later, I've stayed a general prepper and casual camper and backpacker. It's warming up in Chicago, and I'm spending the last of winter auditing and reconsidering my backpacking gear to save weight and learn some new skills. Regardless of whatever was in my pack, I always, always, had my old PSP tucked into my cargo pocket or fleece pocket. Digging it out of my on-body kit drawer, I'm laying it all out and giving it more consideration after a few years of just trusting that it was always on me.

If I absolutely had to live off the contents of one pocket, it would be the PSP. But looking at my full EDC options, I'm starting to wonder what I could remove from the kit in favor of a full-size or upgraded tool carried on-body. For example, the nylon cord...Why not a hank of Zing it or similar high-strength line? I've never fished in my life, I think I can leave behind the hooks and lures. The foil, I'm not fully sold on. Just noticed my Micropur tablets expired...Whoops.

If you had to add to, swap, or optimize how you carry a PSP...What would you add or change? How do you personally carry it?

The PSP is only the beginning. There are few owners of the PSP that haven't altered or added to their kit as they have tested & used the components. I've added a LM P4 (preferable to using the small fixed blade Mk5), a Photon LED light /w finger strap, a mini-Bic lighter and a couple of compressed towelettes. I've changed the sizes of the safety pins and added some knot typing instructions. I've use some of the tinder so I will have to replace them. It's pretty packed right now. smile
Then I placed the package in an no-name organizer along with a small FAK; its part of overall larger EDC that I've included in my daypack.

#292053 - 03/26/19 07:25 PM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Highwayman]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Why are you carrying a PSP? If you have a kit and never use the items, how do you know they’ll work when you need them? So much comes down to personal preference — I started with other kits, but liked DR’s PSP so I bought three. One I parted out to test, using some pieces as pocket carry and donating some pieces to supplement other kits. The other two were kept intact as parts of larger kits.

As regards individual items: I understand that DR’s PSP has a good whistle (Fox 40 Micro), but I prefer a Fox 40 Sharx, so I carry one of those instead.
The PSP has an excellent signal mirror. There are bigger/smaller available, but the PSP mirror is excellent and will do the job if you have sun.
When I have a need for making fire, I usually carry a couple lighters and stormproof type matches. The tinder in the PSP is very good if you use it correctly, then you need kindling & fuel. A good fire is all about the prep — tinder, kindling & fuel to maintain, or what’s the point.
Tools: Be it a Swiss Army Knife, a Leatherman MT or (fill in your preference), you need to be familiar with and comfortable using whatever tool you have. That tool should be outside the kit because it’s a user.

Look at your EDC in general and consider how the PSP fits in. Is it a supplement or is that your entire survival kit?

#292054 - 03/27/19 02:56 AM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Highwayman]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Wow, that's a long time as a lurker, Highwayman! I'm glad you "decloaked" and joined us. I too am a big fan of the PSP; in fact I have at least five of them! They're a great base to build on and a decent minimalist kit. Generally I do add a bit more tinder, a small firesteel, some Aquatabs and a bit more foil, among other things. It's unlikely that I'll ever carry just the PSP but it and a space blanket will get you a long way towards the goal of preparedness.

#292055 - 03/27/19 03:18 AM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
Why are you carrying a PSP? If you have a kit and never use the items, how do you know they’ll work when you need them? So much comes down to personal preference

I second that. As I often say, experience is the best teacher. Experience taught me to build the EDC bag I currently use.

I recognize that something as big as an EDC bag is not for everybody; I nevertheless hope you see the point: what you have on you has a lot to do with what you experienced in your respective environment. Example: if a sneeze in a grocery checkout line has taught that you need Kleenex or something similar on your person, that is what you need to EDC.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292056 - 03/27/19 04:04 AM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Why you carry anything really is a question we need to ask ourselves. The answer is for each of us to determine for ourselves. If we are carrying something because we think the items inside will do good things for us, we’re missing the point.

Some of the items in a PSP need a certain skill level to be effective. For some reason I can’t get the Fox 40 Micro to make any sound above a squeak, the Sharx otoh is loud and clear. Good thing I tried it out prior to needing it.

#292057 - 03/27/19 11:51 AM Re: Upgrading old PSP kit? [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
Why you carry anything really is a question we need to ask ourselves. The answer is for each of us to determine for ourselves. If we are carrying something because we think the items inside will do good things for us, we’re missing the point.

Experience tells me what I need to carry. With that, what is the point I'm missing?

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.