Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#291891 - 03/11/19 04:12 PM Re: Can't use it if you don't have it [Re: haertig]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: haertig
...back in the day when a "hiking boot" was more like what we might call a "mountaineering boot" today. Those old Vasque (or was it Raichle?) brand leather boots were super tough, super thick, and super heavy.

I miss my Fabiano (...Nicoles?)...I burned through four sets of vibram soles, before the inner part of the uppers disintegrated...

#291892 - 03/11/19 07:45 PM Re: Can't use it if you don't have it [Re: Craig_Thompson]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Most of the old boots soles came away too, if they were mistreated. Very few Vibram soles were nailed, screwed or sewn on. Only the mid sole.

The take home lesson should be

Don't dry wet boots by the fire.
Don't leave your boots in a hot car.

Either will cause the glue to release.

A fix that will work for several hundred miles is to drill holes thru the midsole and sole, (assuming you have the outside stitched old school boots) and sew them with bailing wire. Otherwise, twist wire into a basket under the shoe with loops up the side an inch or so that can be laced with cord over the top like crampon straps. I have had luck with hikers getting several days of use this way too. Duct tape comes off in snow and wears off fast in scree.

My favorite were the Pivetta boots. Best edging boot that still had lots of flex and breathed way better than modern mountaineering boots. Perfect CA high country boots for off trail.

#292010 - 03/19/19 12:00 AM Re: Can't use it if you don't have it [Re: Craig_Thompson]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
Craig
I had a pair of Clark’s air mover shoes, after retirement I stuck them in a box under the bed. 10 years later I put them on an left the house, drove to a appointment. Got out of car and the sole we’re laying on the floor boards. Just wore socks and tossed them when I got home.

#292030 - 03/21/19 01:34 AM Re: Can't use it if you don't have it [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
The Chounaird Sewing Kit is back on the market at Patagonia and, with the addition of a spool of fine wire as Clearwater suggested, could accomplish the temporary reattachment of a sole better than duct tape.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/expedition-sewing-kit/12000.html

This article describes how to make your own for cheaper, and how to use it. I keep meaning to make up several for the EDC bag and vehicles.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/76028/

Drilling through a Vibram sole and mid sole would surely try one's level of sanctification, especially in adverse weather.

#292031 - 03/21/19 03:56 AM Re: Can't use it if you don't have it [Re: Famdoc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Glad I still have my original Chouinard sewing kit; don't remember what I paid for it, but it was much less than $29. I have never had to put it to serious use, but it has been worth carrying several times.

I am definitely a fan of duct tape for quick field repairs of shoe soles. If only they made duct tape with a sticky rubber backing...

#292041 - 03/24/19 02:00 PM Re: Can't use it if you don't have it [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I had a similar experience 6 years ago with a pair of Clark's chukkas. I thought these were a high quality boot and they were in good shape with leather uppers and shallow lug soles. I was about 5 miles back in the woods along a small river when one of the soles separated and fell off while I was walking. I wrapped it with some cordage and headed back to the truck. About a mile before I got back, the other sole came loose and fell off. I walked the rest of the way on the leather that wrapped under, and the insole. The only thing I could think of was that I had gotten gasoline and salt on them while standing in the slush at a gas station that winter, and it corroded the stitches and bonding materials.

#292046 - 03/25/19 06:25 PM Re: Can't use it if you don't have it [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
40 some years ago when I was working as an arborist, I wore my very expensive Wesco climbing boots ( decades later now priced at $395/pair) to help muck out the family barn. For whatever reason the stitching attaching the midsole to the welt gave way. Fortunately home was less than 100 yards away. As the uppers were pretty badly scarred by that time I decided not to have them resoled. Knowing what I know now, it probably would have been worth the money to have them resoled.
The other boot was fine: the sole survivor.

#292050 - 03/26/19 05:22 PM Re: Can't use it if you don't have it [Re: Craig_Thompson]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"sole survivor" --groan...!! (actually, good rotten pun)

#292181 - 04/16/19 06:11 PM Re: Can't use it if you don't have it [Re: Craig_Thompson]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Craig_Thompson
The sole seemed like it was cracked and crumbling. I do not wear these shoes often.

I read that this is an issue about polyurethane, the plastic material from which most modern boots and shoes are made. Polyurethane is porous and, within years of production, and even if the shoe was never used, air seeps through and made the soles crumble.
This issue is some sort of a nightmare for hardcore sneakers collectors, who might pay thousands for a pair of never used Air Jordans from the 1980s, only to find out that their soles are falling apart at the slightest touch.

Here's a link to article in Wired on the matter.

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/sneakers/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.