Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 12 of 20 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#291969 - 03/16/19 12:02 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Taurus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Taurus
If I have spare space anywhere in my kit I put more shell dressings or compressed gauze in there.

I looked to military kits for suggestions on what and how many bleeding and airway items I should include. I did not add an abdominal bandage because I don't think it would help in my situation.

The items in bold are what I have or are a close equivalent. Again, I went with the civilian version when possible.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01276/combat-lifesaver-kit-tmk-cl-wcat-only.html

BLEEDING
(2) Combat Application Tourniquet (C-A-T)
(1) Israeli Abdominal Bandage, 12"
(2) Israeli Emergency Bandage, 4"
(4) Compressed Gauze

CHEST / AIRWAY
(1) Bolin Chest Seal
[I included two in my kit]
(1) HALO Chest Seal, (2/pk)
(2) Decompression Needle, 14Gx3.25"
(2) Nasopharyngeal Airway w/ Lube, 28 Fr

https://www.chinookmed.com/01246/medical-panel-insert-kit-tmk-mpi.html

BLEEDING
(2) Tourniquets (SOFTT-W OR C-A-T)

(1) Blast Bandage
(1) Israeli Abdominal Bandage, 12"
(1) Israeli Emergency Bandage, 4"
(1) Israeli Emergency Bandage, 6"
[I have two of the 4" version]
(4) Compressed Gauze

CHEST/AIRWAY
(1) HALO Chest Seal, (2/pk)

(1) TMM-CR, Cricothyrotomy Module:

(1) Tracheostomy Tube Cuffed, 6.0 mm
(1) Hemostat, Kelly Forceps, Curved, 5.5"
(1) Scalpel, Sterile, #10
(1) Syringe, Sterile, 10 mL
(1) Tracheal Hook, 4"

(2) Bolin Chest Seal
(2) Decompression Needle, 14Gx3.25"
(2) Nasopharyngeal Airway w/ Lube, 28 Fr

Jeanette Isabelle

#291990 - 03/17/19 03:50 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

JI: Nice kit. Let me suggest that it is a bit light on 4x4 gauze pads (skip th3”) . Add 2-3 more 5 x 9” pads. Skip rolled stretch gauze in favor of 3” Vet Wrap. Add 1-2 pressure packed triangular bandages ( strerile optional).Add more ibuprofen and add some Tylenol. Used together, in proper proportion, almost the equivalent to narcotics for pain relief. ( Google the proportions) Add 10 chewable children’saspirin, for heart attacks , that’s 2 doses.. Add generic Pepcid and Benadryl for allergic reactions. I’d Cipro for anthrax and Levaquin for general antibiotic. Add a flat 6” hemostat or 2. Cheers

#291991 - 03/17/19 03:57 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I forgot to add a falat plasti magnifier in a vinyl sleeve,, to aide in splinter removal, a tick key, and sub a small headlamp for the penlight or a headband to hold the penlight in the “ on” position.

#291992 - 03/17/19 12:26 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: acropolis5]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Let me suggest that it is a bit light on 4x4 gauze pads (skip th3”) . Add 2-3 more 5 x 9” pads. Skip rolled stretch gauze in favor of 3” Vet Wrap.

I had to drop the 4" x 4" for the 3" x 3", drop the number of 5" x 9" pads and drop the 2" CoFlex for the stretch gauze to save space so that I could add the airway and bleeding items. In doing so, I did manage to have a small amount of space left over; not enough to add everything you listed.

With the bleeding items that I do have, I see no reason to add more 5" x 9" pads. There isn't enough space to put the CoFlex back in. Besides, I prefer to work with the stretch gauze.

Add 1-2 pressure packed triangular bandages ( strerile optional).

Are you referring to the following:

https://www.chinookmed.com/100191/dry-sterile-burn-dressing-and-super-combat-cravat.html

Add 10 chewable children’saspirin, for heart attacks , that’s 2 doses.

I have that in my EDC bag.

Add a flat 6” hemostat or 2.

Why a hemostat?

Jeanette Isabelle

#291993 - 03/17/19 12:30 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: acropolis5]
Carpal Tunnel

I forgot to add a falat plasti magnifier in a vinyl sleeve,

I have considered adding a PSP, which has that, to my EDC bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291996 - 03/18/19 02:06 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

As I mentioned, I have a Traveler Kit in my EDC bag:

https://www.chinookmed.com/01423/traveler-kit.html

Other than a 5" x 9" trauma pad and a pair of gloves, I don't have anything for bleeding or CPR. I considered several options; none of them has everything I want. I want something with a C-A-T and a CPR mask, not a face shield. While a SWAT tourniquet is better than nothing, I would not use a face shield even if it was the only thing I had. I do not trust a face shield.

Admittedly, getting everything I want is problematic due to cost. Today I realized that I have enough spare parts, almost, to build a kit identical to the Bleeding & CPR Advanced Kit.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01426rd/bleeding-cpr-advanced-kit.html

I say "almost" because I don't have an extra CPR mask. I had to borrow one from my medical bag. A replacement CPR mask is $12.82.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01180/ambu-res-cue-mask.html

A CPR mask won't break the bank. I built the kit using a borrowed mask and it fits my EDC bag. There's still an issue with the tourniquet. I tried to put a C-A-T in the bag and it would not fit. As I mentioned, the SWAT is better than nothing. The question becomes, do I stick with the SWAT or include a C-A-T as a separate unit? If I get a C-A-T, it needs to be in something to protect it and not loose in my EDC bag, such as a holster.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01393/cat-wuniversal-tourniquet-pouch-utq.html

There are two problems: A C-A-T with a holster is $47.60 and I need to get in the habit of keeping a C-A-T on my person. The upside of keeping a C-A-T on me is rapid access.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291997 - 03/18/19 01:59 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Why no splints or readily adaptable splint material (apparently)?

I'll bet I have treated at least thirty times as many fractures or potential fractures as CPR situations (one without any kind of face shield or protection whatever). Granted, splints can usually be improvised, but I always like to have at least one or two ready to apply - saved time and they were more comfortable and effective.

Lots of ways to break bones and fractures are commonly encountered in many different situations.

#291998 - 03/18/19 02:54 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I showed Mom the Bleeding & CPR kit I built. I mention what I thought were the main points: tourniquet and a CPR mask. She understands why I would not trust a face shield. To get a C-A-T, I would need a holster. Mom pointed out a problem I did not consider. I'm paraphrasing; it would be difficult to be the "grey man" with a tourniquet on your belt.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Why no splints or readily adaptable splint material (apparently)?

I'll bet I have treated at least thirty times as many fractures or potential fractures as CPR situations (one without any kind of face shield or protection whatever). Granted, splints can usually be improvised, but I always like to have at least one or two ready to apply - saved time and they were more comfortable and effective.

Lots of ways to break bones and fractures are commonly encountered in many different situations.

If a person needs CPR, they need it now. If a person has a fracture, they can remain still until the ambulance arrives.

Consider the space in my EDC bag. I have room for a Traveler Kit, Bleeding & CPR Advanced Kit and the items I regularly EDC.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01423/traveler-kit.html
https://www.chinookmed.com/01426rd/bleeding-cpr-advanced-kit.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#291999 - 03/18/19 03:18 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"If a person needs CPR, they need it now. If a person has a fracture, they can remain still until the ambulance arrives."

Good luck with that. An ambulance can't necessarily arrive, for all kinds of reasons, nor can a victim always remain "still."

BTW, CPR is basically a Hail Mary pass. I understand that roughly 30% of CPR recipients eventually leave thehospital under their own power. Certainly worth doing, but your victim is more likely to die, or is already dead.

#292003 - 03/18/19 06:14 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I know the statistics. It's not good. Nevertheless, a CPR mask does not take up that much space and even if the victim dies, I can walk away knowing I did everything I could.

One thing you skipped is the space in my EDC bag. I have a Traveler FAK and a sperate kit to handle bleeding and CPR. How am I to EDC a splint? Perhaps I should put it this way: how do you EDC a splint?

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 12 of 20 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.