Knot bracelet?
Sudoku?
2 inch toys (army men among others)?
Humming? Singing? Haiku?
Dancing? Tai chi?
Hugs?
Pets?
Touch?

A fundamental shift in fundamental beliefs/studies ? Ppretend its not denial and believe/study something else that isnt anxiety manual about anxiety ?

Cognitive_behavioral_therapy#Anxiety_disorders ... ??

#291932 - 03/14/19 01:32 AM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
A fundamental shift in fundamental beliefs/studies ? Ppretend its not denial and believe/study something else that isnt anxiety manual about anxiety ?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by this.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291935 - 03/14/19 05:03 AM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Jeanette; I think EMP means that (from what you have told) because of your religious belief you are expecting somekind of end of world scenario and that might be a cause for your anxiety.

I, myself, is an atheist and an end of world scenario could not bother me less because that I cannot do anything about.

Edited by Herman30 (03/14/19 05:04 AM)

#291936 - 03/14/19 01:53 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Herman30]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Herman30
Jeanette; I think EMP means that (from what you have told) because of your religious belief you are expecting somekind of end of world scenario and that might be a cause for your anxiety.

I have my doubts about that because I experienced mental health problems even before my belief regarding end times have radically changed.

Originally Posted By: Herman30
I, myself, is an atheist and an end of world scenario could not bother me less because that I cannot do anything about.

I believe I can do something about it. After all, I don't want to die of starvation.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291939 - 03/14/19 02:37 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I just saw a great video by the astronaut Chris Hadfield, "What I learned from going blind in space":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo62S0ulqhA

Being in space is incredibly stressful. To overcome their fear, they train train train train, so that when something happens, it's not new, and they know what to do reflexively. It also has an element of what psychologists call "flooding", where you expose yourself to what you're afraid of until you realize that there's nothing to be afraid of.

#291940 - 03/14/19 02:57 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: GoatRider]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: GoatRider
Being in space is incredibly stressful. To overcome their fear, they train train train train, so that when something happens, it's not new, and they know what to do reflexively. It also has an element of what psychologists call "flooding", where you expose yourself to what you're afraid of until you realize that there's nothing to be afraid of.

I've had some training in "stress inoculation" where students are put into realistically simulated stressful situations, and trained on what to do. However, it's worth noting clearly that I've never had any astronaut training grin.

It isn't clear to me that stress inoculation would be a good idea for someone with an anxiety disorder. That sounds like a question for a professional.

#291944 - 03/14/19 03:40 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: chaosmagnet]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
It isn't clear to me that stress inoculation would be a good idea for someone with an anxiety disorder. That sounds like a question for a professional.

Agreed. Don't try this at home, kids. Get a cognitive behavioral therapist.

I have a bit of an anxiety problem, but it's not disabling, so it's not a disorder. Some anxiety is a good thing- it keeps me focused. It only becomes a problem for me when it causes insomnia. With the help of a therapist, I've learned to put boundaries between what causes anxiety and bedtime. Training in things that cause me anxiety definitely helps.

#291946 - 03/14/19 04:43 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Anxiety can be caused by many things, but it usually results in physical changes to the amygdala, which makes you much more sensitive to stress. There are behavioral therapies that can help. they do take some effort and discomfort, but have a good track record. Medication can assist in controlling the anxious reactions, or make you less sensitive to stress stimuli, which can help you focus on the therapy. Medicine will not fix it, only assist in control.

#291947 - 03/14/19 05:09 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I hadn’t heard it referred to by the term Stress Inoculation , but there it is...
Quote:
Stress inoculation is a type of therapy in which the client is exposed to stress in a controlled and measured way in order to increase their "psychological resilience" against stressors. This type of cognitive-behavioral therapy is intended to help with the consequences of previous stress and also 'inoculate' against future stressors. The client is exposed to stressors in a therapeutic and highly controlled setting in which they learn adaptive strategies for dealing with the situation in the future. It is used before major stressful events like major surgery and military combat scenarios. Physical or psychological illnesses, divorce, rape, and PTSD are other situations in which stress inoculation therapy can be helpful.

FWIW, Anxiety is mentioned in the pdf at: Stress Inoculation Training

#291948 - 03/14/19 06:52 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
I hadn’t heard it referred to by the term Stress Inoculation , but there it is...

I've only seen this term previously with regard to combatives training, not anxiety or any kind of therapy.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.