Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#291913 - 03/13/19 12:38 PM How Equipped Can I Be?
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I posted the following yesterday:

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
It's both sad and scary when you think of it this way: a city gal with mental health problems, including anxiety, is better equipped to handle a major disaster than the average American.

What I said got me thinking. Sure, when it comes to what's tangible, I'm better prepared than the man in the video with his "earthquake kit."

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=291893#Post291893

Sure, I can put on a brave face, take 1MG of Lorazepam (an anti-anxiety medication) and take down Goliath. Let's be realistic. If I have to take 1MG of Lorazepam to handle a road trip, what am I going to do when the population is injured and in a panic?

Jeanette Isabelle

#291914 - 03/13/19 02:51 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Training... First define Goliath, and then learn and train to take him down. Train so that it’s no longer stressful, just something that needs doing. “I can do thing without Lorazepam”...

For me the way to get through things I don’t like is to put myself on auto-pilot and let training take control. There are some things I learned from my father that I really don’t like doing — plumbing, electrical wiring, carpentry... don’t think about it, just do it. No one has ever paid me for any of that, it’s just something that needs to be done so I do it.

Sorta like taxes, hold my nose and do the paperwork; nothing to like, dislike or fear, just a necessary evil.

FWIW, probably < $.02

#291917 - 03/13/19 05:18 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Train so that it’s no longer stressful, just something that needs doing.

What does stress have to do with anxiety?

Jeanette Isabelle

#291918 - 03/13/19 05:30 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Let's be realistic. If I have to take 1MG of Lorazepam to handle a road trip, what am I going to do when the population is injured and in a panic?

Jeanette Isabelle

Realistically?

When real life crisis hits you will do one of 2 things.

1. You will overcome your anxiety and do what needs to be done.

2. You won’t.

Don’t mean to sound crass, but that’s the long and short of it all. If you can’t handle normal every day life without serious limitations it’s only bound to get a whole lot worse when things turn bad. All the gear and supplies in the world will be of no use if you are unable to face a bad situation mentally.

Something tells me you already know that though. I can’t offer advice (far above my pay grade) but I hope you figure it out. I’ve a lot of friends struggling with similar issues and I’m greatful every day I don’t.

#291920 - 03/13/19 06:25 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If not stress, what triggers your anxiety?

#291923 - 03/13/19 08:15 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
If not stress, what triggers your anxiety?

The major one: being in the car for an extended time. I feel trapped and have an overwhelming urge to get out, which would be a bad thing because it might cause a wreck.

I have a problem with my throat. If the muscles in that area get very tight, that will trigger an attack. Only medication will fix that.

Running out of something, such as lip balm, will send me into a panic. Therefore I make sure I have at least three of each product I routinely use.

I also have separation anxiety; fortunately, it's mild. I can treat it without medication. If I'm home alone for an extended time (three hours), I can drive to our gated community's main club where there's always people. I would be fine.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291925 - 03/13/19 09:46 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Ya, that is called stress

#291926 - 03/13/19 11:33 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Carpal Tunnel

Driving on S.H. 200 (College Rd.) would give anyone stress. How would being home alone for three hours or running out of lip balm cause stress?

Edit: I looked up the medical definitions of stress and anxiety. The descriptions are similar though the anxiety definition puts more emphasis on panic.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291927 - 03/13/19 11:41 PM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Taurus]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Taurus
All the gear and supplies in the world will be of no use if you are unable to face a bad situation mentally.

Here is where I disagree. Having the right supplies provides a level of comfort. Knowing I have them at my disposal does offer some relief.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291930 - 03/14/19 01:09 AM Re: How Equipped Can I Be? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Anxiety disorder is feeling stress for reasons that do not normally cause stress in others. You are stressed about things, and catastrophize causing the panic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.