The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#291893 - 03/11/19 10:54 PM Japanese earthquake kit video
ets777 Offline
Stranger

Japanese Emergency Earthquake Kit Unboxing

Thought some of you might be interested in the above. It's a live stream of an expat living in japan (He's the creator of the "only in japan" channel); first half is an unboxing of the kit and the second half is some chatting about the 2011 tohoku earthquake and some q&a's.

#291894 - 03/11/19 10:56 PM Re: Japanese earthquake kit video [Re: ets777]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Interesting!

#291895 - 03/11/19 11:47 PM Re: Japanese earthquake kit video [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Rather marginal quality for many of the components.
A climbing or motorcycle helmet will provide much better protection than a standard construction hardhat.
The flashlight in the kit is a joke. You can easily do much better. The quality and quantity of cordage is minimal.

one small bottle of water - give me a break! Some real food would be nice.

Evidently there is no provision for emergency sanitation, not even TP. FAK??

Still, this is way better than nothing, even if it is not really adequate

#291900 - 03/12/19 06:36 PM Re: Japanese earthquake kit video [Re: ets777]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
The fellow is obviously not a prepper in any real sense; just a pop consumer who has a Walmart grade 24-hour kit. He isn't aware of how much water is consumed per day (5 litres for 4 people per day isn't anywhere close to what you really need i.e. 3 litres per person). The kit is better than nothing but knowledge is a whole lot more compact and useful. Unfortunately he appears to have little of the preparedness mindset and if he is going to rely on this kit he is going to be in serious trouble. Unfortunately, there are a lot more of his uneducated mindset than the type of person on this forum in society.

#291902 - 03/12/19 08:54 PM Re: Japanese earthquake kit video [Re: ets777]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
If I lived in an area prone to earthquakes I would invest in the highest quality I could afford. Earthquakes aren’t exactly that rare in that part of the world so I can’t imagine why anyone would cheap out on such important prep gear.

Better than nothing as some mentioned. Could be a lot better though.

#291903 - 03/12/19 09:07 PM Re: Japanese earthquake kit video [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Rather marginal quality for many of the components.
A climbing or motorcycle helmet will provide much better protection than a standard construction hardhat. ...
This comment took me to REI's climbing helmets page. Lots of good the very good helmets. I’m not a climber, but it seems that something lightweight and breathable (so you don’t feel a need to take it off) would be a good option. Buying one of these on-line though is a non-starter; I would need to try it on for fit and comfort.

Any recommendations by the climbers or cavers here? Color, shell material, favorite brand...

#291904 - 03/12/19 09:16 PM Re: Japanese earthquake kit video [Re: Roarmeister]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Mom and I have friends who have access to the same information we have (information I can't discuss in this forum due to the religious and political nature) and yet they do not prepare.

Mom talks to my sisters, in Texas, on their respective levels. One prepares some, the other nat at all.

If my friends and family don't prepare, even with the information they have, why would I possibly expect others to prepare?

It's both sad and scary when you think of it this way: a city gal with mental health problems, including anxiety, is better equipped to handle a major disaster than the average American.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291905 - 03/12/19 09:38 PM Re: Japanese earthquake kit video [Re: ets777]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

A construction helmet is far cheaper and protects against more things than most climbing helmets. Vents on a climbing helmet cause it to fail any test regarding splash/sparks, etc.

#291907 - 03/13/19 12:25 AM Re: Japanese earthquake kit video [Re: Tjin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Construction helmets I’ve seen seem designed to protect the head from falling objects, but not from side or rear impact. I guess all helmets are specialized to some extent. Since my current bike helmet is way out of date, I’ll probably get one of the new helmets from Bell or Smith with the MIPS rating. Bike helmets are designed to protect from some serious falls and the new ones with polycarbonate shells look fairly well built.

#291915 - 03/13/19 04:24 PM Re: Japanese earthquake kit video [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would much rather wear a climbing helmet than a construction hard hat in a serious situation, and I have worn both at various times. Climbing helmets are tested or both side impacts and retention when subjected to force, as well as impact from above.

In searching for data to respond to this post, I ran across the following:

https://www.bna.com/safety-helmets-replacing-n73014461149/

Apparently, the standards of climbing helmets are replacing the traditional construction requirements, which is good all around. Just do something better than the trad had hat, and if that is all you have, at least equip it with a chin strap...

True, hard hats are cheaper than climbing helmets, but the cost of either is insignificant when compared to the costs of medical treatment or even a funeral.

I use a Black Diamond Half Dome climbing helmet, and closures are available for its side vents, if desired. Nice in cold weather.

Edited by hikermor (03/13/19 04:24 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.