Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#291792 - 02/10/19 08:50 PM Re: Updated Every Day Carry (EDC) [Re: haertig]
Russ Online   content
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
EDC for survival? ó not really, that kit is much bigger with much more capability than I need for daily use.
EDC for daily use? ó Yep, nothing is wrapped up or stored in a kit, itís all user gear.

I need to clarify. I donít EDC gear in case a survival situation occurs in my daily life; I EDC items for daily use and those core items are used regularly. I carry the core gear around the house. Here at my desk I have a couple knives, my headlamp and a 1xD LED lantern that is excellent for lighting the room during a power outage. Other around the house survival equipment might include a fire extinguisher, but Iím not going to EDC a Kidde dry chemical tank, if thereís an emergency one is available. OTOH, when I walk out the door, things are added such as that previously mentioned flip-phone.

If out driving there will be a largish survival kit in the truck that includes more gear than an individual could carry, obviously that would not be considered EDC. If Iím on a dedicated walk/hike, additional gear would be carried (water/FAK/GPS/flip-phone...et al) depending on the walk/hike and weather conditions.

BTW, itís SOCAL and despite the rain weíve had lately, this is still the edge of the desert and starting a fire in suburbia is bad form. So no, I donít EDC my fire kit, the chaparral is great tinder, but not in a good way.

This is all just to say that EDC gear must have a purpose other than weighing down my pockets. I EDC a small bit of core gear and carry other gear as conditions and situations warrant.

#291793 - 02/10/19 10:51 PM Re: Updated Every Day Carry (EDC) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
A thought on carrying a knife.

Sometimes, perhaps not often, a knife is really, really helpful towards getting a fire going, or building a shelter.

My opinion for some time has been that a knife is very difficult to improvise, along with a light and a fire starter. Situations and problems vary, but those are my personal top three things to not be without when outdoors, after appropriate footwear and clothing.

#291794 - 02/10/19 11:02 PM Re: Updated Every Day Carry (EDC) [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Online   content
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"BTW, itís SOCAL and despite the rain weíve had lately, this is still the edge of the desert and starting a fire in suburbia is bad form. So no, I donít EDC my fire kit, the chaparral is great tinder, but not in a good way."

Truer words were never spoken (or typed!)....!!! I spend a fair amount of time on the Channel Islands (Cal) and although I still carry my lighting materials, I would generally not ignite a fire - it's just too windy. Some sort of canister stove is the only rational item, but even then one must be careful...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (Russ), 211 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mollerstrom, Louis, tomuchgear, salomoncrosk, Claire
5284 Registered Users
Newest Posts
"survival colors"
by Russ
10:21 PM
Mr.Buddy Heater in Truck Cap?
by dougwalkabout
09:35 PM
Picacho Peak fatality
by Phaedrus
02:50 AM
Free ebook/download: Survival and Austere Medicine
by wileycoyote
03:22 PM
Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30
by chaosmagnet
10:39 AM
Regarding emergent communications
by hikermor
03:33 AM
2.5 lb shelter/sleep system,30F-110F, office wear
by hikermor
03:13 AM
Walked across the country - just because...
by hikermor
06/24/19 11:30 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.