Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#291792 - 02/10/19 08:50 PM Re: Updated Every Day Carry (EDC) [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
EDC for survival? — not really, that kit is much bigger with much more capability than I need for daily use.
EDC for daily use? — Yep, nothing is wrapped up or stored in a kit, it’s all user gear.

I need to clarify. I don’t EDC gear in case a survival situation occurs in my daily life; I EDC items for daily use and those core items are used regularly. I carry the core gear around the house. Here at my desk I have a couple knives, my headlamp and a 1xD LED lantern that is excellent for lighting the room during a power outage. Other around the house survival equipment might include a fire extinguisher, but I’m not going to EDC a Kidde dry chemical tank, if there’s an emergency one is available. OTOH, when I walk out the door, things are added such as that previously mentioned flip-phone.

If out driving there will be a largish survival kit in the truck that includes more gear than an individual could carry, obviously that would not be considered EDC. If I’m on a dedicated walk/hike, additional gear would be carried (water/FAK/GPS/flip-phone...et al) depending on the walk/hike and weather conditions.

BTW, it’s SOCAL and despite the rain we’ve had lately, this is still the edge of the desert and starting a fire in suburbia is bad form. So no, I don’t EDC my fire kit, the chaparral is great tinder, but not in a good way.

This is all just to say that EDC gear must have a purpose other than weighing down my pockets. I EDC a small bit of core gear and carry other gear as conditions and situations warrant.

#291793 - 02/10/19 10:51 PM Re: Updated Every Day Carry (EDC) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
A thought on carrying a knife.

Sometimes, perhaps not often, a knife is really, really helpful towards getting a fire going, or building a shelter.

My opinion for some time has been that a knife is very difficult to improvise, along with a light and a fire starter. Situations and problems vary, but those are my personal top three things to not be without when outdoors, after appropriate footwear and clothing.

#291794 - 02/10/19 11:02 PM Re: Updated Every Day Carry (EDC) [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"BTW, it’s SOCAL and despite the rain we’ve had lately, this is still the edge of the desert and starting a fire in suburbia is bad form. So no, I don’t EDC my fire kit, the chaparral is great tinder, but not in a good way."

Truer words were never spoken (or typed!)....!!! I spend a fair amount of time on the Channel Islands (Cal) and although I still carry my lighting materials, I would generally not ignite a fire - it's just too windy. Some sort of canister stove is the only rational item, but even then one must be careful...

#292829 - 07/25/19 04:41 PM Re: Updated Every Day Carry (EDC) [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
EDC is always a good topic here so a look at Adam Savage's Everyday Carry (EDC) - YouTube may be of interest. No knife or MT (TSA confiscation is mentioned), but he does EDC a 1xAAA LED light.

#292830 - 07/25/19 11:40 PM Re: Updated Every Day Carry (EDC) [Re: TeacherRO]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Chaosmagnet: My work also takes me into government and other secured buildings. My spread out EDC trauma and first-aid-kit is as follows: On my keychain , with my FenixEO5 ( with backwards pocket clip to fit to a hat brim or headband , to use as a headlamp) & Yellow Photon Freedom ( mounted backwards in its neck dangler to prevent accidental “ on”)and large Bison cylinder whistle, is a Bison medium cylinder pill vial ( wrapped in 12”x2” Gorilla Tape). A yellow Mini-Bic lighter with tape under the plunger to prevent accidental discharge is also in my pocket.

The pill vial contains 5x81mg. chewable aspirin for heart attacks; 4 generic Benadryl,for allergic/ anaphylactic attacks; 2 caffeine tablets & 2 pseudoephedrine tabs for congestion and emergency energy boost; 3 ibuprofen tabs for pain. I haven’t figured out how to add 2 Tylenol, to greatly enhance the pain relieving power of the ibuprofen. The tape can be used to secure a dressing, for incipient blisters or as a chest seal with a credit card or alone.

Next to my wallet is my multi-purpose utility/ trauma dressing kit. This consists of a clean, XL , orange or yellow cotton bandana , HOT dry ironed , folded/ refolded/ re-ironed to pocket size and slipped into a sterile Gerber Breat Milk Bag. The bag edges and one side, reinforced w Gorilla Tape. Press out the air with a book when it’s hot and it almost vac seals and flattens the kit. The other bag side has a taped-on flat roll of 48”x2” Gorilla Tape, folded over piece of clear report cover. This gives me a trauma bandage, smoke mask, sling, signal flag, chest seals (bag+tape), splint wrap, etc.

In a back pocket is another hot ironed , XL, yellow bandana, not bagged. This is for utility use or as a tourniquet, with my pocket carried Browning / glassbreaker, flashlight /pen, as a windlass for the tourniquet. Added benefit: almost impossible to pickpocket my wallet wedged against bandana packet.

In my wallet is an H-shaped bandaid, alcohol pad in foil packet ( also good tender) & some dental floss, along with my Medic-Alert ( and I wear a MedicAlert neck medallion).

When security inspection or legal prohibitions are not an issue, I also EDC a LM Xe6 and a Spyderco Delica or Dragonfly.

Additionally, while not strictly a medical item, I carry $500+ in cash, mostly $20s & some $1bills ( for candy machines) . In the words of Mr. Dylan “ money doesn’t talk, it swears.” In a blackout or blizzard, when credit cards won’t process, cash buys you the unavailable hotel room, plane/train/bus ticket, taxi ride, tank of gas and may dissuade a mugger from harming you. So if it can save my posterior, I call it a medical kit component.

Finally, my smart phone ( Mophie power pack included) has various useful emergency apps, including SAS Survival Mannual, First-Aid Mannual, pill identifier, compass, flashlight, etc.

Edited by acropolis5 (07/26/19 12:10 AM)

#296304 - 06/04/20 07:10 PM Re: Updated Every Day Carry (EDC) [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Facemask, hand sanitizer, stylus for pushing buttons

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.