Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#291563 - 01/06/19 01:10 AM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Signed up for one next week - will give a report.

#291564 - 01/06/19 01:52 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: GoatRider]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Oh crud ... now I have to look up what "pejorative" means.

Aside from online retail sources and some amazing truly local retail stores I do think REI is still one of the better sources for outdoor gear. Online buying has made it VERY tough on local brick & mortar retail stores (though I guess REI is kind of a hybrid).

Kudos to REI for going outside their traditional focus.

#291565 - 01/06/19 05:22 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Eager to hear what they teach and how well.

#291602 - 01/10/19 03:02 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Attended last night and it was two hours well spent, although a lot of what was presented is already well known to frequenters of this forum.

Began with a discussion of likely local disaster events. This is Ventura County, so fire and earthquakes topped the list. Prior planning and preparation was heavily emphasized and the presenter discussed her own efforts in this regard. She lives in a mandatory evacuation zone for the recent Hill Fire and shared interesting experiences from the 94 Northridge quake.

Many, if not most, of us attendees had been in similar situations over the past year, so the discussion was not theoretical. Audience participation was encouraged and was beneficial.

Our instructor went through the contents of her GO bag. Not surprisingly, many of the contents were items for sale by REI, and this was mentioned, but not as a sales pitch. The need to build fire, or light a stove safely, was emphasized.

The need for first aid training and basic equipment was also encouraged.

Plentiful hand outs were available, including a listing of internet sources like READY.gov. The book, Deep Survival, by Laurence Gonzales, was touted as a good source.

A lot of the discussion bled over into what might be termed wilderness survival situations, but this is inevitable, being that undeveloped country is close at hand in Ventura County and that many of the attendees were familiar with the outdoors.

Refreshingly absent was any discussion of caliber of your bug out weapon and the number of rounds you would need to fend off the thieving, rioting hordes from the inner city. Some survival discussions turn distinctly anti-social, and I am glad that was totally absent last night. Not that such events can never happen, but their likelihood is way down the list of probabilities.

The discussion was locally oriented, so I imagine an REI presentation in other parts would be altered accordingly.

A main stream outdoor retailer, REI stocks a lot of stuff which is useful in any kind of disaster. When situation go topsy-turvy, outdoor gear is surprisingly workable.

#291608 - 01/10/19 11:34 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm near an REI, should see if they do the class here in Bozeman.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.