Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#291516 - 12/31/18 01:06 PM Re: Happy Holidays! [Re: Phaedrus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Happy Holidays, and I wish you a very safe and joyous new year!!

And once again, thank you for keeping this forum as enjoyable and sane as it is and has been for many years. Some of these topics could go sideways very quickly. Heh!!

For me the ETS thinking started many years ago with a by-chance discussion with local search and rescue folks at a county fair. That lead to teaching the ETS thinking to Scouts (Cub, Girl, Boy). As the years past, and my kids grew up and left the nest my ETS focus is more on just the small world of my wife & I.

The coming year brings very big changes to our lives since we'll be retiring and moving from northern Illinois to a MUCH more rural, but stunningly beautiful area of northern Wisconsin. With that brings a whole new set of potential risks (power loss, heavy snow, forest fire, age-related health issues, very different emergency services ...) and the need to rethink how we handle those new risks (whole-house generator, different snow removal equipment, plans to purchase a defibrillator, age-proofing our house, how to move canoe/kayaks/farm stuff without injury, ... ).

#291517 - 12/31/18 01:23 PM Re: Happy Holidays! [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Congratulations on your retirement KenK!

#291518 - 12/31/18 02:13 PM Re: Happy Holidays! [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A hearty second on congrats....

Also, my brother is retired just west of you in Bemidji, MN and has a country place with many of the same challenges you face. I have been impressed at how he has set up to face the challenges of snow removal, significant cold, etc.

It's all about understanding the local hazard profile and taking appropriate measures. While you do have challenges, Wisconsin is one of two states that has never experienced earthquakes, unlike Alaska and California, etc. We all have to deal with fires.....

Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.