Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#291463 - 12/21/18 06:56 PM In Car PFD
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
To live in the trunk with my throw bags. For the theory that near/on/in water, a PFD should be worn, and throwing bags to rescue someone certainly applies, and driving down the road, you see a car go in, or come upon a car, wheels up, probably a recovery, but as we don't know when/how long ago, were still in rescue mode, and that requires a hands on assessment.

Not convinced that I need a full on USCG Type 5 "live bait"/rescue swimmer vest, But something with enough pockets/rigging points for rescue tools, strobe/PLB/comms, whistle, mirror..., and being that we have cold water up here for 3 seasons, and the 1-10-1 rule still applies, and I won't be wearing an immersion/exposure/survival suit, a solid vest, without mesh, will keep me a little warmer a little longer.

Thought/suggestions appreciated.

Regards, Jim

#291464 - 12/21/18 07:45 PM Re: In Car PFD [Re: aligator]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Stearns Powerboat Float Coat. $.02

#291465 - 12/21/18 10:21 PM Re: In Car PFD [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would recommend a float coat also. Used one or several years on the CA Channel Islands, on boats and in kayaks and they served very well, providing floatation without hindering mobility while working on deck or paddling.

I am not current with what is available on the market right now, but this is the way I would go.

#291473 - 12/22/18 03:58 AM Re: In Car PFD [Re: hikermor]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would recommend a float coat also. Used one or several years on the CA Channel Islands, on boats and in kayaks and they served very well, providing floatation without hindering mobility while working on deck or paddling.

I am not current with what is available on the market right now, but this is the way I would go.

But did you ever swim it? How cold was the water, about, and how warm was the coat? If the water was cold (1-10-1), how long do think you could have stayed, without being compromised? Did you feel the need for a vest too, for increased float, and were you wearing the pants/bibs too?
Thanks!

#291476 - 12/22/18 01:55 PM Re: In Car PFD [Re: aligator]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Yes I did swim in the coat several times and it worked quite well in water temps in the 50s. Flotation was easily equal to the typical PFD, and mine was so rated. The coat was easily warmer since the model I used had a neoprene crotch strap, an item I would recommend. Worn with a neoprene wet suit bib, the coat was very warm.

Bottom line - for the application you are considering, I would far rather have a float coat than a PFD

#291477 - 12/22/18 02:14 PM Re: In Car PFD [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

We carried an older exposure suit on the aircraft I flew in. Fortunately, I never had the “opportunity” to use one in the ocean. That would not have been a good day.

There are options other than the Stearns model. WestMarine's float coats & work suit page might have one that would work. Obviously the full suits would be warmer than a float-coat, but not conducive to all day wear. Any might be good for throwing in the trunk with other gear. No first-hand experience with any of these.

#291479 - 12/23/18 12:55 PM Re: In Car PFD [Re: Russ]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Involuntary immersion is never a good day, but can go from bad to worse based on the individuals training and preparation, and it's currency. Very few know of the 1-10-1 rule, depending on the "system" to keep them safe, or if not, to rescue them, without disturbing their "normal" and blissful ignorance too much. Problem is, most times, the system won't be there in time to save them.

#291480 - 12/23/18 01:54 PM Re: In Car PFD [Re: aligator]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I’ve taken a few courses on cold water survival and your post is the first I’ve heard of the 1-10-1 Rule. It’s always good to define your terms, rather than assuming everyone knows. So here it is, with no further comment: 1-10-1 Rule of Cold Water Survival

#291481 - 12/23/18 05:03 PM Re: In Car PFD [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I haven't heard of this "rule" either, probably because it doesn't seem to be very useful, particularly the one hour til hypothermia bit.

You can become hypothermic in much less time in really cold water - generally less than 45 minutes in water temps ranging in the 30s, although there are exceptions depending on clothing and amount of body fat.

In my own experience, doing underwater archaeology on historic shipwrecks in Lake Superior, wearing well insulated dry suits, the final act before entering the water was to pour boiling water into our gloves, which were then promptly donned as we slipped into the 35ish degree water. The dives were terminated after forty minutes or so because we could no longer manipulate a pencil to sketch or write notes.

Cold water immersion is really serious business...

#291483 - 12/24/18 02:46 AM Re: In Car PFD [Re: hikermor]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

My apologies for not defining the 1-10-1 rule, I thought I had used and defined it in the car in the water thread, sorry, sometimes I loose track. Thank you very much for putting up the link for me.

The 1-10-1 rule was put forth as a teaching aid, something for people not particularly interested in learning the effects of cold water on humans, that would be easy to remember, perhaps eliciting action on their part, like wearing their PFD. It was never intended as a defining statement, of the effects of cold water immersion. As you stated, colder = less time, as dose what your wearing, are you wearing a PFD, did you asperate water with the reflexive gasp/hyperventilation of cold shock, or develop an arrhythmia and die. Lots of variables, but cold shock, progressive inability to help yourself (cold incapacitation), and in below 70 degree water, eventual hypothermia, is the progression for somebody stuck in the water, but they usually drown in either the cold shock phase or when they can no longer keep their airway above water/spray/waves, without a PFD, they die from asperation of water, not living long enough to die from hypothermia.

Cold Water Boot Camp (www.coldwaterbootcamp.com)

Beyond Cold Water Boot Camp (www.beyondcoldwaterbootcamp.com) for first responders or educators.

ETA: and just as we could all find ourselves as victims, we might also find ourselves as "first responders", and the knowledge of how to properly manage a cold water immersion/hypothermic patient could be lifesaving (see circum-rescue collapse).

Regards, Jim

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.