Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#291444 - 12/19/18 05:35 PM Re: Smallest possible survival kit [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

There are a variety of methods for carrying a PLB, not just in your backpack. I prefer a Ribz Front Pack ( Ribz ), but you can carry it on your belt or a pocket (though it is not the most comfortable thing in a pocket).

#291445 - 12/19/18 06:47 PM Re: Smallest possible survival kit [Re: TeacherRO]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
my mini kit (as i've often posted here before)

SAK knife, peanut lighter, flashlight and lock-blade folder

#291446 - 12/19/18 09:43 PM Re: Smallest possible survival kit [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

You must prioritize (as always) with what you decides to carry. In some situations shelter is the most important thing, and you may need it fast, so cordage and an emergency blanket. Signal may be all that you need, so light, whistle and something in a bright color. In very hot environments water will be critical, even before you get into a survival situation.

If you plan properly (environment, routes, leave a note, etc), and are dressed appropriately, it can really reduce the amount of other stuff you have to carry. I always go back to it, but your brain is your best tool.

#291447 - 12/20/18 03:38 AM Re: Smallest possible survival kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Even if you have a PLB you might be on your own for a while. Rescue might take hours or it might take days depending on the weather and the location. You need to be able to look after yourself while you wait.

#291448 - 12/20/18 01:07 PM Re: Smallest possible survival kit [Re: gonewiththewind]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
True, and that makes sense for some, but most people will not carry any type of chest rig. Too unfashionable or "tactical-like". They were designed to allow for a full combat load "on-body" which is essentially an enhanced EDC.

#291449 - 12/20/18 01:29 PM Re: Smallest possible survival kit [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I will carry what I need to survive, in a minimalist conception of that term, on my body (in my pockets and belt. I will carry in the vest what I need to do the work I am doing (navigation, water, binos, camera, communications, etc) so I have easy access without dropping a pack and digging into it. It also stays with you when you do drop you pack. In the pack is everything else. Think of it as layers, I can survive without the pack and vest, but each layer enhances my capabilities (and comfort).

I have never been worried about style or opinions when I am out. I have almost always been responsible for the safety and security of others when I am out, so I carry what I need. I think most people make such decisions based on comfort and effort (or reducing effort). A vest can be a little hotter.

#291450 - 12/20/18 02:58 PM Re: Smallest possible survival kit [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Survival goodies are what you carry so that you will not have to activate a PLB when misfortune occurs. As pointed out, help may be delayed or unavailable for some time. The measures you take immediately, even when aid is rendered in a timely manner, can be crucial in determining the eventual outcome.

All too often, all that the first responders can accomplish is to clean up your mess, and remove the bodies. You don't want to know how I learned this....

How many hikers carry a PLB anyway? Any studies or surveys? my guess is it would be well less than one per cent....And how many carry any sort of first aid or emergency supplies?

#291454 - 12/20/18 06:07 PM Re: Smallest possible survival kit [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree. The aviation survival vest I wore back when flying was primarily about flotation. The kit in the vest was primarily about signaling — no food, no water, just a PLB, marine VHF radio (Ch.16), signal mirror, strobe and a couple flashlights. Fortunately, I never had to test mine for real.

There’s another thread here regarding a Spontaneous Immersion Kit. As I recall, my point was that first you need to egress the car/truck, after successfully free of the sinking steel, you think about survival niceties such as getting to shore and not freezing to death in the process of waiting for 1st Responders — first you need to survive your initial contact with the water. Otherwise any kit is pointless.

With my aviation vest the idea was not to survive at sea, it was to aid rescuers to get you out of the water. No survival kit fits all, they need to be fine-tuned to their intended situation.

#291456 - 12/20/18 08:23 PM Re: Smallest possible survival kit [Re: TeacherRO]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I tried posting this earlier, but it went into the ether or I hit the wrong button.

I learned (more than once) in SAR the three basic rules of carrying survival gear.

1 Keep your pack with you.

2 Keep your pack with you.

3 Keep your pack with you.

Some things have to be on your body however, since avalanche etc may take your pack without approval.

Beacon ( so your Bud's can dig you out)
Radio/Cell
Knife
Fire-making
Trash bag for shelter

#291458 - 12/21/18 02:38 AM Re: Smallest possible survival kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Apropos of nothing the Ribz packs are pretty nice. I had the original version then bought the new/improved version when it came out; I found it enough better to me that I sold the original one. IMO it doesn't look particularly 'tactical' although I suppose you won't see models walking the catwalks of Paris wearing one. smirk But fashion shouldn't dictate what you carry in the woods!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.