Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#291371 - 12/12/18 10:16 PM The Very Useful car blanket
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have a black fleece blanket in my car. Great for warmth, but also padding cargo and covering things.

What are some Very Useful Things in your kit?

#291374 - 12/12/18 11:01 PM Re: The Very Useful car blanket [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

a decent flashlight or headlamp is often useful. I also like to keep a reflective, bright vest to wear over mu regular clothes if I am working on the car by the side of the road.

I rarely go anywhere without at least a small shovel on hand,maybe more depending on the situation.

#291376 - 12/13/18 12:46 AM Re: The Very Useful car blanket [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
You mean for the car? Man, a person could live pretty comfortably out of my car for a while! Especially now that it's winter I always have Wiggy's Pack Boots, a heavy Wiggy's bag, Wiggy's mittens, five other pairs of gloves including one heavy leather, one fleece and a few other assorted types. Also a small shovel, a few tools, a flashlight and a headlamp, a Resq tool (glass breaker), duct tape, a heavy splitting axe, two or three Silky Saws, a tarp and at least one tent. blush Yeah, a lot of stuff but part of that is my load out for camping so it just stays there.

#291380 - 12/13/18 01:42 AM Re: The Very Useful car blanket [Re: Phaedrus]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
You mean for the car? Man, a person could live pretty comfortably out of my car for a while! Especially now that it's winter I always have Wiggy's Pack Boots, a heavy Wiggy's bag, Wiggy's mittens, five other pairs of gloves including one heavy leather, one fleece and a few other assorted types. Also a small shovel, a few tools, a flashlight and a headlamp, a Resq tool (glass breaker), duct tape, a heavy splitting axe, two or three Silky Saws, a tarp and at least one tent. blush Yeah, a lot of stuff but part of that is my load out for camping so it just stays there.

Where do you put your groceries when leaving the store? Strapped to the roof?

#291398 - 12/13/18 10:54 AM Re: The Very Useful car blanket [Re: Taurus]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I have a similar loadout in my car (minus the tent plus a standard FAK, spare fluid for the window washer, a couple of microfibre rags and an unhooking mat). I also pack one reflective vest in neon yellow for each passenger seat and two cheap blankets. In a station wagon that is barely visible. A weeks worth of grocery does not even take a third of the remaining space without losing passenger seats.

#291411 - 12/14/18 12:29 AM Re: The Very Useful car blanket [Re: Taurus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Taurus
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

Where do you put your groceries when leaving the store? Strapped to the roof?

Hahaha! My car isn't huge but all that stuff actually fits just fine in my trunk with a bit of room to spare. Generally I put the groceries in the back seat, but meat and stuff I have enough room for in the trunk.

Interestingly though, strapping to the roof is a good idea, and a very popular one here in Montana. About every third car I see has a Thule "shell" on the roof. I asked a coworker what folks carry in those things and I'm told it's skies and snowboards mostly. Here in Bozeman I'm told there's very good skiing in the Bridge Bowl, the Crazies, etc.

#291413 - 12/14/18 01:28 AM Re: The Very Useful car blanket [Re: TeacherRO]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Traded my Ram in a few years back for a Subaru CrossTrek. Love the thing but I had to reconfigure considerably as the interior space was a lot less for all the things I normally have in my vehicle. I still manage to have all I need on hand by using the spare tire well and the space under the seats etc. No room for a conventional blanket but I do have 2 top quality reflective survival blankets in a seat pocket. That conbined with a couple of sterno gel stoves should get me and a passenger through a night or 2 should I break down somewhere remote.

I’ve been eyeballing this cage thing on amazon I could mount to the roof rack. Would be ideal when transporting gasoline cans and other things I don’t want stinking up my car. Being a hatchback with fold down seats I got plenty of room but the last time I spilled a few drops of gas inside it took a week to air out the fumes.

Edited by Taurus (12/14/18 01:29 AM)

#291414 - 12/14/18 05:18 AM Re: The Very Useful car blanket [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I suppose it bears pointing out too that I rarely have anyone in my car except myself. Occasionally I'll give a coworker a ride but it's very uncommon that I have more than two three at the most. So if a few things are in the back seat it doesn't bother me at all.

The roof rack would indeed be handy, especially for things like fuel. I'm not too excited about the idea of a gas can inside my car! Not safe at all IMO.

#291415 - 12/14/18 07:46 AM Re: The Very Useful car blanket [Re: Taurus]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Taurus

I’ve been eyeballing this cage thing on amazon I could mount to the roof rack. Would be ideal when transporting gasoline cans and other things I don’t want stinking up my car. Being a hatchback with fold down seats I got plenty of room but the last time I spilled a few drops of gas inside it took a week to air out the fumes.

If you have a tow hitch, you can also consider a cargo rack at the back.

This is what I got:
https://imgur.com/a/unnkOvO

I also got a roofbar and box, but i pretty much only use those for skies.

#291417 - 12/14/18 02:12 PM Re: The Very Useful car blanket [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
A heavy-duty jumpstarter. Quicker and easier to use than jumper cables and allows for self-rescue, and very handy indeed at CERT callouts for recharging laptops and smartphones.

A small inverter — I often road trip with coworkers who are working on their laptops while I drive, or sometimes I’ll want to recharge my laptop (but not use it!) while I drive.

The biggest and baddest snow brush/ice scraper I’ve ever seen available for sale. PSA: get the snow off every scrap of glass, off the hood, and off the roof. Blowing snow off your car into your own face or into the faces of folks behind you is no good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.