Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#291300 - 12/05/18 02:04 PM Belt knives
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
So I’ve been getting reacquainted with the prepping community and current best practices. All I keep hearing about with belt knives “high carbon steel, 90° spine, Scandi grind, uncoated blade.”

I’ve got the RSK Mk 2 on my wish list, but other than the high carbon steel, the Mk 2 doesn’t check those boxes.

Is the high flat grind of the Mk 2 easy to maintain in the field? What about the spine? 90°?

Could use some thoughts/opinions on this.

#291301 - 12/05/18 04:19 PM Re: Belt knives [Re: Ors]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The 90 degree specification allows effective use of the spine with a ferro rod. I am sure people have come out of the woods alive carrying steel other than high carbon (like stainless).

The capabilities of the knife owner with respect to sharpening are probably more important than the type of grind.

It is possible to escape disaster with only a SAK or even a multi tool - they may be more versatile and useful than a fixed blade knife for many (not all) situations.

#291310 - 12/05/18 07:10 PM Re: Belt knives [Re: Ors]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I strongly prefer stainless steels. Carbon steels have their advantages, to be sure, but I'd rather have a high-end stainless for most purposes.

#291312 - 12/05/18 09:28 PM Re: Belt knives [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Not to say that a knife meeting the OP's specifications would not do a perfectly satisfactory job, but really, "the knife you have with you is the knife with which you will survive".

I have been in a fair number of "borderline' situations, and frankly, I can't recall any where a knife was absolutely essential, whereas the ability to produce fire and heat, or find and render water potable, was essential.

If I had to choose between carrying a good topo map or a knife, I would take the map in most situations..

#291314 - 12/05/18 11:50 PM Re: Belt knives [Re: Ors]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Let me clarify...

I’m wondering, from those knowledgeable about knife grinds if the high flat grind on the RSK Mk 2 is easy to maintain in the field...with a whetstone let’s say.

I am also curious from a RSK Mk 2 owner if the spine is 90° or not.

Thanks!

#291315 - 12/05/18 11:58 PM Re: Belt knives [Re: Ors]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm not a fan of scandi grinds at all. I'll happily tolerate them on a Mora due to the cheap-and-cheerful nature of that brand but I prefer a full flat grind for almost every purpose. When it comes to steels I feel they all have a place. Stainless if fine (or semi-stainless) for most purposes but 3V and O1 are also good. Really even the venerable 1095 works very well when the HT is good.

I'll confess that you'll almost never see me actually wear a knife on my belt. Certainly there will be at least a couple in my pack and I'll always have a folder in my pocket if I'm wearing pants. It's such a rare occasion that I need a fixed blade available at a moment's notice that I almost never carry it that way. When out in the woods I will sometimes have an ESEE Izula/Izula II on my neck, secured with a necklace of gutted paracord with a breakaway section to prevent strangulation.

It certainly doesn't bother me to say someone carrying a fixed blade on their belt but the other reason I don't is that there's virtually always a sidearm there. As a righty the best spot to conveniently access a knife is the same spot where it's handy to access a firearm. If I do the need the firearm the need may be more urgent than the need for the knife.

#291316 - 12/06/18 12:55 AM Re: Belt knives [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For some reason, when I carried a fixed blade it was on the left (weak) side. These days a larger fixed blade will stay in my pack. I have a Dozier Companion that rides in a mostly horizontal kydex sheath just left of my belt buckle — very handy when needed, but small and very unobtrusive.

#291318 - 12/06/18 01:51 AM Re: Belt knives [Re: Ors]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

http://www.equipped.org/devices6.htm

See the above for Doug Ritter's views on survival knives; he seems to prefer a flat grind, no surprise, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

#291319 - 12/06/18 03:12 PM Re: Belt knives [Re: Ors]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Knives likes that usually have a second bevel grind i. e. the shiny part of the blade has a slightly bigger angle than the coated part. That kind of grind is fairly easy to maintain, if you have some pratice. It also allows to sharpen the knife without taking the coating off.
I use a Fallkniven DC4 for maintaining my blades. It´s small enough for carrying.
Sharpening a knife is an aquired skill. If you have not done it already, you might want to find someone to show you how to do it and get some pratice with it.
I do not know whether the RSK MK 2 has a 90° spine. However at 57 HRC you could just use the cutting edge close to the handle for scraping the ferro rod without too much fear of damage. That will allow you to hold the knife the way it was designed - which may be safer anyway.

#291320 - 12/06/18 04:15 PM Re: Belt knives [Re: Ors]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I seem to recall that my Mk2 has a 90deg spine. I’ll be home tonight and will double check.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.