Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#270452 - 06/14/14 10:39 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: acropolis5]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
I sympathies ize! But,I must ask the obvious question: If it's not to your taste, why did you move there in the first place?

Living arrangement and the fact my immediate family is moving to Florida. Mom and I are already here in Ocala, Ellie will be moving to Orlando and Brittany and her husband will most likely move to Tampa.

Second question: Why don't you employ your obviously good mind to creating the conditions to move to a more conducive location.

This is the part of Florida Mom liked best after considering different parts of Florida.

If you really want a true big city experience ( in the Classic European understanding of a city) , there are only four real choices: NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, & San Francisco. DC is more a power center than a City. But it's fabulous museums, monuments and arts venues are world class. Runners-up would be Seattle, Boston & Miami. Honorable mention to Portland for its unique walk/ bike cultures. Yes, I know, I left out LA. IMO LA is an amalgam of sprawl, not a real downtown centered city in the classic sense.

Dallas is not well known for the arts but Dallas has a higher percentage of artisans and creative people than other U.S. cities. In the mid 1800s, a community of artists from France moved to the area to start their own town. The area they settled was not fertile so a year after they moved to the nearby town of Dallas because of crop failures.

Dallas has a central hub with trains going out and the rail lines are expanding. Moreover, Dallas has bike trails which too are expanding.

Jeanette Isabelle

#270453 - 06/15/14 02:01 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
If you don't mind driving a little Orlando and Jacksonville, while not as large as DFW, can give you at least a small big city feel. Orlando now has a train and in Jacksonville the bridges are a cool place to look at the lights.

I live just on the other side of Orlando from you. Even though I live here I would make a terrible tour guide of Orlando because I tend to avoid the big city. I would most likely be passing Izzy on 40 or 19 while headed towards Ormond beach to ride the loop and then head back home.

In Ocala you might want to check out the Appleton Museum of Art. I'm sure that there are opportunities for volunteering and it might be a good way to indulge your artistic side.

http://www.appletonmuseum.org/

Edited by RayW (06/15/14 02:03 AM)
Edit Reason: Added link

#270455 - 06/15/14 04:31 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
-Learn a new language.
-Learn a musical instrument.
-Read a lot.
-Play chess in the park.
-Participate in local 5k races or whatever distance.
-Learn how to barbeque really well.
-Sit on your front porch and people watch.
-Sit on your front porch and read a newspaper.
-Ride your bike a lot and talk to strangers more often.
-Become the mayor.

If work permitted, I'd prefer to live in a small town.

#270475 - 06/16/14 06:16 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I live within the boundaries of greater Los Angeles, in Ventura County, so I can partake of many of the advantages and amenities of urban life. That is often very fine and beneficial.

This July I will once more journey to a small(pop. 4000+/-) town in South Dakota (Hot Springs) to dig for mammoth fossils. I have done this for the last fourteen years, and I look forward to yet another season. I really enjoy the change in pace and the different perspective. I know squat about Ocala, but I'll bet the area has its own special advantages. Seek them out.

#270478 - 06/17/14 12:04 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I can almost see the largest mall in our city from my house for the last 6 years and I think I've been in it maybe three times. There should be plenty to do in any city, local parks, libraries, etc.

#270481 - 06/17/14 04:10 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Thanks for putting it in perspective. It is not so much about what I do but where I do it.

I'm surrounded by palm trees, I'm within driving distance from a beach and all I can think of is, "Get me out of here!"

I can't leave because I will be separated from my family.

Jeanette Isabelle

#270484 - 06/17/14 02:28 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Some disaster preps are best kept private. For example large stocks of food, fuel, blankets and other supplies are best not advertised lest one becomes a target for thieves, looters or official requistioning.

In a small town this takes more care since everyone knows everyone and is apt to remember those who purchased large volumes of supplies and perhaps to consider them as "hoarders" who should be "made to share"

In a big city, large volumes of supplies may be purchased for cash in any large supermarket not too near ones home. It is unlikely that the staff will take much notice, and even if they consider the transaction a bit odd, they know not your name or address and will probably never see you again.

In a small town, unusual transactions are apt to be remembered and use of cash rather than plastic cards does not help if everyone knows you.

Stocking up therefore needs to be done gradualy, or at a distant out of town store.
Mail order helps a bit for some goods.

#270485 - 06/17/14 02:54 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: adam2]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Moving supplies from a vehicle to storage on one's property is also something that neighbors take notice of.

#270486 - 06/17/14 02:56 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JI... welcome to the state, even though you are not that enthused about it... do you have any questions on tropical storm supplies?

#270487 - 06/17/14 02:58 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: adam2]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: adam2
Some disaster preps are best kept private.

Well said. Fortunately, in a way, very little in the way of disaster preps can be obtained in my suburb (with the huge exception of groceries). Most everything else I have came from out of town -- I hope my UPS driver can keep what he's seen come to my house under his hat.

Unfortunately, in a way, the CERT I belong to has been significantly increasing our outreach efforts to bring preparedness information to our community. I've been selected by the team leadership as the speaker for all of our largest events.

It's working well for me to contribute my time and efforts to CERT and other volunteer organizations, even if that has a deleterious effect on OPSEC. And with my pistol instruction business based out of my home, many will know that I'm own firearms.

The key, I think you would agree, is to evaluate your situation thoughtfully before saying or doing things that let people know what you have at home.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.