Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#291032 - 11/08/18 08:36 PM check your canned goods!
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
like lots of folks I have a gray metal shelf in the basement filled
with canned foods.not so much for survival but bought on sale to stock up.in the early fall I was wondering why I had so many house flys down there and wrote it off to flys coming in as it got cold out.
wrong.getting a can out for dinner I freaked out when the can was stuck to the shelf!!.lots of stuff there and most hidden by the goods in front and I don't use canned food a lot so what was a nasty mess
was hidden from view.a can of ground meat that I got way to long ago for possible camping was forgotten and must of rotten and burst the can.the as i pulled the rest of the cans off i found a dry puddle of crud covered in dead maggots.....
i lost about half of my stock as they had rusted bottoms from sitting in the goop for weeks.in the summer i cook outside on the grill alot and we have fresh food so it was out of sight-out of mind.
i won't go into detale but i had to replace the wood shelf below also!

i walk by that self a few times a day when i'm at my work bench or
sorting camp gear and never thought to do a quick look-see at the storage,what could go wrong?
so if you have canned goods put away check them now!!!!

#291033 - 11/08/18 09:15 PM Re: check your canned goods! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
BTDT - Found some cans that were years past their best-by dates; but the cans were in good shape and the food itself was fine considering it’s canned food.

#291038 - 11/09/18 02:08 AM Re: check your canned goods! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
...a can of ground meat that I got way to long ago for possible camping was forgotten and must of rotten and burst the can.
....if you have canned goods put away check them now!!!!

Hi
Was it a square can of meat?
With an easy open tab?
Not in a cardboard box of same cans ?
With stacks of other types of cans on top it?
Previously banged around in bag or backpack?

#291040 - 11/09/18 03:33 AM Re: check your canned goods! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I still have some cans on a shelf in the basement marked Y2K! I'm not sure I dare eat them. Also on those shelves are a few of those blue box Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Dinners. Those will probably still taste the same as new...

#291041 - 11/09/18 06:44 AM Re: check your canned goods! [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
it was a round "tub" shaped can and not soup can shape with no tab

opener.sold as cooked ground beef and from a company in my area,which is why i bought it.just out of the bag on on the shelf where it stayed.

from the label it was sold for camping and hunters as it had a outdoor type label with a deer on it.i have not seen in the store latey.
thinking about it maybe the wood shelf attracted damp and that
started the problem.i'll put shelf paper down.

#291044 - 11/09/18 01:28 PM Re: check your canned goods! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you have the space, it really helps to have access to the rear of your storage shelves... load from the rear, remove from the front...

that being said, I don't cook at home (I'm retired and single) other than an occasional sandwich, so my stored pull top cans make it through about 3 tropical storm seasons... I donate them about 6 months prior to the use by date to local food banks...I replenish when Publix has a BOGO sale, and for $25 I get a couple of weeks of fresh entrees

#291051 - 11/10/18 05:12 PM Re: check your canned goods! [Re: LesSnyder]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
...I donate them about 6 months prior to the use by date to local food banks...I replenish when Publix has a BOGO sale...

That's a great idea! My church and various other organizations I associate with often have canned food drives. And we always go out to the store to buy new stuff to donate. It makes sense to rotate those purchases through your personal stash first, before donating them (as long as they don't expire). Seems so obvious when someone points it out to you, yet I never implemented this simple process.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.