Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#291004 - 11/04/18 04:03 PM Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'.
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Think this 'Alone' series has been mentioned here before, so apologies if it's old news. Maybe it never got shown in England, but somehow I missed it.

> 'Day 1 Shelter and What I Brought for Clothing To Patagonia (87 DAYS Episode 2)':

https://youtu.be/8lgjMtqBJ6I

"The jacket I picked out was a cheap piece of junk" lol. And so many think they need a $600 knife and the most expensive of everything. Fowler was broke when he was equipping. The only expensive items he brought; the Sorel boots, were a terrible dissapointment.

The 10 items chose:
'Alone: Fowler's 10 Items (Season 3) | History':

https://youtu.be/QHfLI1DK7cs

Note the winner was the only one not to bring a knife.
qjs

#291005 - 11/04/18 04:50 PM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"Note the winner was the only one not to bring a knife."

But he apparently had a Victorinix multi-tool, which I believe does include a blade. I would think that to be perfectly adequate, rendering a large bladed, SERE style, macho cutting tool unnecessary.

I like blades that are tough and small, like a DR PSK Mk 5, as well as a good multi-tool (either Skeletool or Wave).

This isn't strictly survival related, but on Tuesday (Election Day in the USA), as part of the election staff, I will be roaming between 9 or 10 polling places, troubleshooting and dealing with issues, which often include equipment breakdowns and malfunction. I will be packing both my Skeletool and my Wave, equipped with Bit Kit and a small adjustable wrench. It is always good to have versatile tools handy to deal with unpredictability.

#291006 - 11/04/18 06:21 PM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

> which often include equipment breakdowns and malfunction.

Really; I know american democracy is a very complex, complicated, controversial subject, but I can't help thinking the UK 'put an x against the option you want' is a lot less hackable. There is a paper slip for every vote. Any candidate who wants to object is welcome to see the actual votes.

qjs

#291007 - 11/04/18 06:35 PM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Voting system vary across the USA, according to the individual county. Our systems (Ventura County, Caliornia) uses a paper ballot which is electronically scanned and recorded. The paper ballot is retained in case of the need for a recount until the storage space is needed for the next election. The tallying, and all phases of the casting and processing of ballots is open to public view. It is mostly like watching paint dry...

Not all systems rely on paper ballots and there are recent stories of unaccountable glitches in some systems, which is a really serious problem.

I have been working as a part time employee in elections for nearly two decades and it has been really gratifying to see the strenuous efforts to secure an accurate count of the ballots, time after time...

Anyway, a good multi-tool rules, whether in the wilderness or in the polling place....

Mods: I know this is inching toward the forbidden "P" word, but the intent is to make these comments strictly non-partisan

Edited by hikermor (11/04/18 08:01 PM)

#291008 - 11/04/18 08:02 PM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Mods: I know this is inching toward the forbidden "P" word, but the intent is to make these comments strictly non-partisan

So far so good.

Voting is good. If you’re eligible to vote, please do so.

Election security is offtopic which means that here, in Campfire, is the right place to discuss it.

chaosmagnet

#291009 - 11/04/18 08:45 PM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Fowler is a semi-regular poster at another forum I'm on. As evidenced in his videos he seems to be a zany guy! One of the "items" that probably helped him was a gut- he was pretty portly when the show started. But pretty skinny when it ended.

#291010 - 11/04/18 09:13 PM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
He did have my favorite multitool, the Victorinox Spirit X, which has a pretty good large SAK blade. Along with the axe and large crosscut saw I'd say he was well covered for cutting tools (ie 30% of his items!).

#291011 - 11/05/18 07:27 AM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

phaedrus wrote:
> One of the "items" that probably helped him was a gut- he was pretty portly when the show started. But pretty skinny when it ended.

Since all you have to do is stay there the longest to win, one could sneak in tons of spare calories by gaining 150 pounds and almost guarantee winning.

He said he didn't regard it as a survival situation it's a homesteading situation.
Well yes; if you don't mind your homestead coming with a 6 month life expectancy......

wikipedia:
'The third season premiered on December 8, 2016. The winner, Zachary Fowler, had lost 70 lbs (a third of his starting body weight) before the end of his stay. The person who stayed the second-longest, Carleigh Fairchild, was pulled out because, at 101 lbs, she had lost nearly 30% of her starting body weight and had a BMI of 16.8. Participants were automatically "pulled" at a BMI of 17 or less. The fourth longest stayer, Dave Nessia, was pulled out when, due to inadequate caloric intake, his systolic pressure barely exceeded his diastolic pressure (80/60 mmHg), putting him in danger of death due to inadequate perfusion of the internal organs.'

Like all the Survivorman episodes I've seen. Trying to survive in the wilderness seems to be basically a slow death sentence.
qjs

#291012 - 11/05/18 02:10 PM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Interesting stuff...Are you really 'alone" when a medical team comes by to check your BMI and you can end the experience at any time, your option? I think this shows the basic artificiality of these "reality" shows. They don't reflect real life at all.

Consider an actual WWII survival story-Poon Lim adrift for 133 days in the S Atlantic in 1942. He was the sole occupant of a life raft with food and water for 50 days, but did the rest of his stint surviving in rainwater and fish. He was reported to be in good physical condition when rescued and I'll bet he wasn't overweight when he began his ordeal.

If I am ever stranded, you can bet a significant effort will be made to make my presence known; I won't be attempting to prolong the situation. I am not that good a hunter or fisher....

#291013 - 11/05/18 06:22 PM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: hikermor]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
Yep look for the large smoke signals, I am to skinny to stay very long

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.