Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#290997 - 11/03/18 01:38 PM Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning
hikermor Online   content
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/...ce?utm_campaign

This article gives an in depth look at the recently activated early warning system, which is now partially functioning - a ew seconds warning is better than none at all...

#291002 - 11/04/18 12:03 AM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SOCAL
I hope that early warning system gives you some small piece of mind, ‘cause it may be needed sooner than you think.
California Hit By 39 Quakes In 24 Hours ...eas Fault"

39 shakes in <24 hours is in itself a warning of sorts.

#291003 - 11/04/18 02:42 AM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: Russ]
hikermor Online   content
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Zero Hedge certainly doesn't minimize the problem, but I prefer the information provided by the USGS; https://earthquake.usgs.gov/. You can read a piece concerning the Hayward Fault which is concerning, without hyping the very definite hazards.

The problem is that earthquakes are, as far as we know now, inherently unpredictable. Sometimes smaller quakes are foreshocks for larger ones, but quite often they are not. One can only be certain after the events have played out. Sometimes smaller quakes relieve strain on a fault system, but they also can increase strain and trigger a big one.

One can be certain that earthquakes will happen, at unpredictable intervals, at unpredictable intensities and that the current best strategy is to be alert and organized.

My gas tank is approaching half full; remind me to fill up tomorrow.

As it currently stands, the early warning system is of limited or no value to the general populace, but enhancements are coming. Developers are warning that there will be inevitable bugs in the system, leading to false alarms, etc. The hope is that these glitches will not cause us to lose faith in the system.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
3 registered (M_a_x, Pete, hikermor), 232 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nova, jackmiller, DaveL, Dale, rac
5267 Registered Users
Newest Posts
California Wildfires- Nov.
by Jeanette_Isabelle
0 seconds ago
I'm Not Coming Home
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 02:44 AM
A Tribute to Stan Lee
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 02:04 AM
fresh motivation to pack a "Go bag"
by TeacherRO
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
How Much is Too Much?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:04 PM
Anniversary
by haertig
Yesterday at 04:13 AM
RSK-G2
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 01:12 AM
Urban Prep Class at REI
by TeacherRO
11/12/18 08:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.