Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#290102 - 07/30/18 09:32 PM Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit [Re: TeacherRO]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
As I was saying in another thread:

Quote:
I keep my usual backcountry ditty bag in my handbag, right next to my makeup bag. I used to have just the basics in my makeup bag, but decided recently to carry more.

I have a Victorinox Rambler, Bic mini Bic, and Fisher Bullet Space Pen, a Storm whistle, a small PackTowl, an Inova X1 flashlight and spare battery, a LMF Swedish Army FireSteel, and a DiaSharp card, along with a few odds and ends like a couple of blanket pins, a couple of ponytail elastics, and a small vial of acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and diphenydramine, plus a 1 oz spray bottle filled with 70% isopropanol for hand sanitizer.

All of that goes in an IKEA fabric sandwich bag. I'm looking for a new pouch, though. There's a few things that need to be added/replaced, like a simple compass and a bit of cordage, those are on my shopping list.

On top of that, in my handbag is *always* a full set of Snow Peak titanium flatware (knife, fork, spoon, spork) a pair of Keith titanium chopsticks, and a fixed-blade Buck Diamondback for cutting baguettes, because those are all my EDC for lunch.

And then there's my vintage Gerber AirFrame folding knife.

My makeup case always has a compact in it that has a mirror that could be used for signalling, if necessary. Also, lip and eye pencils make good tinder, or a carpenters' pencil, if you don't wear makeup.

I'm having to rethink my idea of a first-aid kit, since I've recently discovered that I have developed a severe allergy to adhesive bandages, and have had terrible reactions to four different brands. It started to develop last year, but I didn't realise what it was.

But, really, my philosophy these days is more "stay out of trouble" than "be prepared for the apocalypse".

Just what I have in my handbag on a daily basis would enable me to get by in most situations. Usually, I'm carrying a 1 L Nalgene bottle, too, for lunch.

Because I live in a mountainous area with many dirt roads (New England), during winter, I keep a sleeping bag and MSR Rapidfire stove in my truck, as well as my Husqvarna/Hultafors axe, a Fanno Saw Works 30" log saw, a 36" DeWalt demolition bar, and a 15000 lb tow strap.

Edited by amper (07/30/18 09:40 PM)

#290400 - 09/04/18 01:29 AM Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've added some cordage - either dental floss or 50# fishing line, some rubber bands and larger safety pins

#290985 - 10/30/18 07:03 PM Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

More things I need to add are cash, writing paper and a pen.
And still keep it under a pound.

#291303 - 12/05/18 06:33 PM Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

for the wilderness/boating kit, I've added a pocket fresnel lens and a tiny signal mirror

#296378 - 06/12/20 08:38 PM Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am adding some bug wipes - foil pouches with bug repellent.

#296383 - 06/14/20 06:45 PM Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I'm experimenting with a Wazoo Cache belt to potentially replace part of my PSK. It has a lot of potential as an altoids tin alternative. Insufficient on it's own, but as a supplement to an EDC has potential.

I very much like the idea of being able to carry a couple of 1 liter water carriers and purification tablets (among other things) even when I don't have a cargo pocket, such as when wearing jeans.

I was able to fit a space blanket in there, so I will try again with a more durable SOL blanket. I do wish it was a 1.75" belt rather than a 1.5"... I may have to experiment with making something of my own.

#296403 - 06/16/20 06:58 PM Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Have you considered just adding a pouch? Something the size of a cell phone holder would work.

#296406 - 06/17/20 08:02 AM Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Definitely an option! I generally wear my shirt untucked though and I'm not a fan of pouches or anything that really sticks out on my belt.

#296407 - 06/17/20 06:02 PM Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit [Re: TeacherRO]
GoatMan Offline

@Burncycle

How much velcro is on the inside of the Wazoo Cache belt to actually hold it closed? I also think a 1 3/4" width would have been better. I like the concept as long as it isn't over stuffed. I would assume the space blanket took up most of it, isn't pratical. Easier to just put it in a pocket and put the variety of backup necessities in the belt.

Curious of any other feedback you have on it.

#296409 - 06/17/20 08:05 PM Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Looks like they used .5" velco that serves as a flap to hold items against the inner side of the belt, but actual contact area when packed is about half that since it bulges a little.

The space blanket does take up most of the available space, only about 1.5" left on either side for items, so I'd probably just stick it in a pocket as you indicate.

Otherwise though I rather like it.

I've picked up some 1.75" webbing and will see if I can find someone with a heavy duty sewing machine to DIY a test article, but that little bit of extra room looks like it will make a big difference.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.