Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290789 - 10/06/18 08:47 PM Re: Preparing less [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
Which is one reason that people should always have a Plan B. Like all emergency situations which require evacuation, most people will not decide to leave until after the planes stop flying.

Unless you decided to leave early because you and a remnant were able to interoperate the writing on the wall.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290791 - 10/06/18 09:18 PM Re: Preparing less [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

How else are we supposed to flee outside the country?

Jeanette Isabelle

Perhaps you just have to face the fact that there might be situations when you can´t.
The USA (+Canada) is such a large continent that if something happens to make you want to leave (where? To Europe? To Africa?) one might suspect it is such a large thing that you can´t escape it anywhere on the planet.

Edited by Herman30 (10/06/18 09:22 PM)

#290831 - 10/10/18 03:09 PM Re: Preparing less [Re: Tjin]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

> I'm quite surprised by some discussion about certain gear.

As my mother says, "Everyone needs a hobby."

Discussing, buying, trading, collecting, playing with gear is FUN, at least for some of us.

For myself, I try to put gear into 3 categories: preparedness, entertainment, and paranoia.

All three are legitimate categories, it's just important to make sure which is which.

Yet another flashlight, knife or multitool to add to the dozens I've already got? Ok, folks, let's be honest, that's entertainment, we're way out of the preparedness category. I like flashlights. If I want to spend $20 on my birthday for another one, that's just fine.

Accumulating geiger counters and iodine pills and fallout shelters, given I'm a few miles from a major city, i.e. target? For ME, I'm going to call that paranoia. Others may disagree, and that's fine, too. Do I plan to survive a nuclear war? ("No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die.") But if it helps you to sleep knowing that you have a Geiger counter, that is justification for buying one, as long as you can afford it.

Storing water reasonable amounts of water?: Preparedness.

And as anyone who has looked at expensive backpacking equipment knows, going lightweight and lean can sometimes be an expensive hobby of its own.

I think it's great to hear about everyone else's outlook on preparedness. Even if I would put something in a different category (entertainment, preparedness, paranoia) than someone else, I enjoy learning about different approaches.

#290832 - 10/10/18 04:48 PM Re: Preparing less [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"And as anyone who has looked at expensive backpacking equipment knows, going lightweight and lean can sometimes be an expensive hobby of its own."

Well, yes and no on this statement.

I am fortunate in that my backpacking gear often was used in job related field work tasks, giving it a double justification.

I would also make the point that doing light weight does not necessarily entail buying expensive gear, but is more of a process of determining your basic, fundamental needs, and searching for gear that is versatile, often filling more than one function, and developing a system that works for you. It well might not be a system that works for me. We are all individuals.

In buying gear, careful thought is necessary. Quality gear is not for sale at cheap prices. But I learned long ago, that good gear, carefully chosen, gives outstanding value and service, especially if it is versatile and multi-use. It is usually more economical to buy a quality item, say a sleeping bat, once, and use it for twenty plus years than to buy a succession of cheapo items which wear out quickly and that don't work as well.

Most of the gear that I will depend upon in a survival situation is repurposed outdoor gear, just slightly redeployed when raw, screaming wilderness arrives at my doorstep.

#290836 - 10/10/18 10:32 PM Re: Preparing less [Re: Michael2]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Michael2
Yet another flashlight, knife or multitool to add to the dozens I've already got? Ok, folks, let's be honest, that's entertainment, we're way out of the preparedness category. I like flashlights. If I want to spend $20 on my birthday for another one, that's just fine.

Are you able to write me a note excusing me from flashlight-related discussions? For Mrs. chaosmagnet?

#290837 - 10/11/18 02:08 AM Re: Preparing less [Re: chaosmagnet]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

I'm just a Stranger in this town - I don't think I dare write a note for the Sheriff!

#290838 - 10/11/18 12:01 PM Re: Preparing less [Re: Michael2]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Michael2
I'm just a Stranger in this town - I don't think I dare write a note for the Sheriff!

She doesn’t know that!

When I use this color for my text I’m speaking ex cathedra as Blast’s deputy. Otherwise I’m another participant. Fortunately, the workload moderating ETS is quite light.

#290839 - 10/11/18 12:56 PM Re: Preparing less [Re: Tjin]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Jeanette Isabelle wrote:
> How else are we supposed to flee outside the country?

The US has two long land borders with other countries.
Florida where you are is only 60 miles from the Bahamas.
qjs

#290840 - 10/11/18 07:06 PM Re: Preparing less [Re: quick_joey_small]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small

That would require a plane or a ship which goes back to my original question.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290841 - 10/12/18 02:34 AM Re: Preparing less [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small

That would require a plane or a ship which goes back to my original question.

Jeanette Isabelle

It seems the OP has been hijacked.

Perhaps this conversation should have its own thread?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.