The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 43 of 57 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#299892 - 09/03/21 08:18 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: M_a_x]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Two of my flashlights have replaceable bulbs. The others have a built-in LED.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299893 - 09/03/21 10:16 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
General rules for EMP:

The longer the wire or antenna is, the more susceptible a device is to damage from an EMP. Battery powered devices without antennas should be more resistant to EMP damage than those with antennas, and much more than those plugged into a power outlet.

Simple semiconductors tend to be more resilient than complex semiconductors. An LED flashlight should in general be more resistant to EMP damage than a laptop CPU, for example. A flashlight that uses direct drive (which I think all the Maglite LED models do) is likely to be more resistant to EMP damage than one with a more complex driver.

A Faraday cage is pretty easy to construct, and if constructed correctly provides very robust protection against EMP damage.

#299894 - 09/03/21 11:19 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
EMP is likely to come from a nuclear detonation. So I would assume that if you & your kit is affected by the EMP, you'll be dead or in very bad shape by either the shock waves or radiation.

#299895 - 09/04/21 12:56 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Ren]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ren
EMP is likely to come from a nuclear detonation. So I would assume that if you & your kit is affected by the EMP, you'll be dead or in very bad shape by either the shock waves or radiation.

There's more than one way to create an EMP.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299896 - 09/04/21 01:08 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Light sticks have pretty limited utility but I keep some around. They're cool and nonflammable so they can't start a fire. They don't need batteries and they keep for quite a while. On the other hand their output is low and the "burn time" is short(ish) depending on your POV. They're inexpensive enough and compact enough that I keep some for the limited range of things they work well for (mostly camping for use as markers).

#299897 - 09/04/21 01:34 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Light sticks have pretty limited utility but I keep some around.

On the other hand their output is low and the "burn time" is short(ish) depending on your POV.

I tested one in the middle of the night, and it was bright enough to get the job done.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299899 - 09/04/21 06:37 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
paulr Offline
Addict

Do they actually still make them? I thought they had mostly been replaced by similar looking tubes with LED lights inside. Do the real ones you have, have date stamps? Their shelf life is just a few years, and they break easily in storage, and it's not really possible to check one for breakage without unsealing it and diminishing the shelf life even further. I'd worry about getting old or busted ones, so I'm glad that the one you tested worked.

Regarding EMP, one of the tales associated with it was that the advanced (for the time) US fighter jets of the cold war era were vulnerable to it, because of their IC-based electronics. The opposing Soviet fighter jets were less advanced and used vacuum tubes, and that turned out to be an advantage because of less EMP vulnerability.

Remembering that makes me think incandescent flashlights are likely to be pretty invulnerable. I still have a few and I guess I'll keep some of them. Simple LED lights (direct drive with a resistor ballast) may also be less vulnerable than lights with voltage converters, microprocessors, etc. I do like my direct drive lights and continue to use them now and then.

What did I do today to prepare? I'm not sure it helped prepare for anything, but I spent a ridiculous amount of time researching tiny headlamps, partly in response to a thread that Doug opened. I posted some findings there and have a few more to post.

Edited by paulr (09/04/21 06:38 AM)

#299900 - 09/04/21 07:00 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Cyalume sticks are good long after the "expiration date". I've used sticks that were three or four years past without issue. Maybe they don't glow quite as long, I didn't time them, but it wasn't enough less that I noticed.

#299904 - 09/04/21 12:20 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: paulr]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: paulr
Do the real ones you have, have date stamps?

The batch I have is said to expire on April 2026.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299906 - 09/04/21 04:35 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

I talked to a nurse, asking for natural ways to combat COVID-19. She says I need Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, and Zinc.

Today I decided to start a daily regimen of Emergen-C Immune Plus. I checked both the original Emergen-C and Emergen-C Immune Plus. The Immune Plus, not the original, has 1,111% Vitamin C, 125% Vitamin D3 and 91% Zinc.

Disclaimer: I'm not giving out medical advice. I'm stating what I'm doing.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 43 of 57 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.