Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 16 of 57 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#283879 - 02/26/17 08:28 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I agree with you to some extent, but experience is all too often a harsh teacher,and the final exam can ofttimes be entirely too brutal. It is often instructive to heed the experiences of others (one of the justifications for this forum) and learn from collective, shared experience. This has definitely worked for me.

The one problem I see is, it is hard to personalize a situation when all we do is read about it. It would be like expecting others in this forum to EDC gear used for overnighting in a house without electricity and water based on my experiences.

On the other hand, when Mom twisted her ankle when she stepped off the porch, I then prepped as if the same could happen to me. Because I used the same porch thousands of times, I was able to personalize it and saw the need to prep.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283880 - 02/26/17 08:41 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
To some extent you can run what-if scenarios and prepare for those situations. Much of what we discuss here are just that in the sense of: "what if" that happened to me?

Be the situation a hurricane on its way, a tornado, wildfire or earthquake, the needs afterward are very similar in the way of shelter-water-food. The preps for one often suffice as preps for the others, basics are basics. Get the basic shelter-water-food for a hurricane and then expand for your specific what-if's.

Take the experiences of others here and use them, don't think of them in the abstract, think of whether those experiences apply to you.

#283881 - 02/26/17 09:55 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I agree, Russ. Many of our needs are remarkably similar regardless of what the specific SHTF event is, and we can learn a lot from the experiences of others.

My experience is pretty limited, in terms of actual emergency situations lived-through, but I feel better prepared for potential future situations because of the first-hand knowledge shared by others. I'm not here on ETS to impart wisdom, but to soak it up. wink

I understand what you mean, though, Jeanette Isabelle. Something that works for one person may not be well-suited for someone else. "Hike your own hike" as they say, or "Prepare your own survival plan", but it always helps to learn from others as we do that.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283882 - 02/27/17 04:23 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Years ago, when I came to Arizona and discovered mountain hiking and climbing, I started out very ill equipped and fairly clueless. I fortunately hiked with some very experienced people, who managed to keep me from dying. Also, being an earnest scholar,in my rumblings about the university library, I discovered the annual publications of the American Alpine Club, "Accidents in North American Mountaineering."

By the time I had finished a few volumes, it was clear that problems can occur whilst rambling about the hills, and that there are measures one can take to resolve the problem (be able to seek or improvise shelter, build a fire, treat injuries, signal for help). I gradually began to carry a bit more and started to do longer trips and more ambitious projects. Eventually I blew it, facing an unplanned night bivouac out alone in deep snow and bitter cold. Fortunately, I had just enough (dry socks, a small stove, a bit of extra food) to pull me through without injury or frostbite. But all this preparation started by reading about the misfortunes of others and what could have prevented their problems.

We do learn from experience, but reading thoughtful analysis of problems and what might have prevented them is a much less painful way to acquire expertise. The final exam comes when you are in the soup and must keep it all together.

"Thoughtful analysis of problems" is the key phrase......

#283885 - 02/27/17 02:17 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
To some extent you can run what-if scenarios and prepare for those situations. Much of what we discuss here are just that in the sense of: "what if" that happened to me?

Be the situation a hurricane on its way, a tornado, wildfire or earthquake, the needs afterward are very similar in the way of shelter-water-food. The preps for one often suffice as preps for the others, basics are basics. Get the basic shelter-water-food for a hurricane and then expand for your specific what-if's.

Take the experiences of others here and use them, don't think of them in the abstract, think of whether those experiences apply to you.

I consider scenarios such as a tsunami, damaged infrastructure stopping products from getting to the stores, an EMP attack or some other attack on the power grid, war, the collapse of the economy and needing to get out of Dodge with nothing but what we can carry. Other than organizing and inventorying the pantry, I don't know how to prepare for those scenarios. For that reason I look at my pasts experiences for guidance and prep for those.

I don't know what I would do if I had to sleep in a tent. My experience of roughing it is on the floor of a house with no water or electricity.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283886 - 02/27/17 02:17 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: M_a_x]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
For stuff that needs to be gathered a physical checklist with items and storage space is helpful (I do that for e. g. my CAS equipment). It avoids chaos and ensures the things are there. It makes collecting the items as team easier to.

Your BOB list has Thermarest in it. Those pads do not react well on being stored rolled up for a long time. There might be better options.

Your BOB list is fairly long. Do not only make a thought exercise. Try to actually fit the equipment into the available room in the car. The bug-out scenario is not the time to discover that the items claim more space than is available. It also gives you an idea about the required time.
Create a packing sequence (maybe reflected in the check list). You may wish to have some items available without digging through a lot of other stuff.

Great ideas, Max, thanks! My organization needs to be better organized! You're exactly right that this needs to be more than just a thought exercise - and it is!

My intention is to figure out how to store this all together in the house - and actually do it! - but your suggestion to test the actual bug-out packing process is a great one! We practice living out of our packs and the pantry, and we also practice getting out of the house as quickly as possible in the event of a fire. Putting the two together is a fantastic idea. How quickly can we get into the car with everyone and everything we need? Challenge accepted!! Thank you!

#283888 - 02/27/17 02:51 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

I don't know what I would do if I had to sleep in a tent. My experience of roughing it is on the floor of a house with no water or electricity.

Jeanette Isabelle

You would probably fall asleep after a bit. I have slept on a variety of house floors and numerous tents in all sorts of conditions, and sleep conquers all, eventually. A well pitched tent, with a comfortable pad and a suitably warm, cozy bag is far better than most houses. Best of all is the pad and bag combo in an open outdoor setting, perhaps within a rock shelter (in case of rain). Open air and the beginning of rosy fingered dawn to start a new day. Beats a stuffy old house any day....

#283889 - 02/27/17 03:08 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Mountaineers take a similar approach to safety as that of NTSB investigators. When I was active in Naval Aviation we often read accident /incident reports. The reports were of other people's mistakes and they were brutally honest. Sh*t happens, learn from it.

The idea is to use the experiences of others so that mistakes are not needlessly repeated. This website is similar in some ways as we discuss preparedness -- what works and what doesn't. Learn from the experiences (often failures) of others.

#283890 - 02/27/17 03:32 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Jeanette Isabelle

You would probably fall asleep after a bit. I have slept on a variety of house floors and numerous tents in all sorts of conditions, and sleep conquers all, eventually. A well pitched tent, with a comfortable pad and a suitably warm, cozy bag is far better than most houses. Best of all is the pad and bag combo in an open outdoor setting, perhaps within a rock shelter (in case of rain). Open air and the beginning of rosy fingered dawn to start a new day. Beats a stuffy old house any day....

During the last extended power outage in these parts, a friend in a rapidly cooling apartment building resorted to pitching his tent on his bed to create a warm and cozy microclimate. He said a lot his rough it in the woods gear was put to use for a few days - right inside his apartment, while his neighbours bugged out to go find warmth elsewhere.

#283891 - 02/27/17 03:45 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I consider scenarios such as a tsunami, damaged infrastructure stopping products from getting to the stores, an EMP attack or some other attack on the power grid, war, the collapse of the economy and needing to get out of Dodge with nothing but what we can carry. Other than organizing and inventorying the pantry, I don't know how to prepare for those scenarios. For that reason I look at my pasts experiences for guidance and prep for those.

Jeanette Isabelle

Jeanette Isabelle, tsunamis and hurricanes are not on my personal list potential threats, but one of the on-line resources (other than ETS) that I've learned a lot about preparing for the worst is "Listening to Katrina". It has lots of lessons learned from someone who was in that predicament, and the results of their experience - some planning proved out, others served as examples to learn what NOT to do. Hugely instructional for any prepper. Here's the link: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons

Page 16 of 57 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.