Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290829 - 10/10/18 02:05 PM Re: Winter preps -- Time for the switch over [Re: Tjin]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tjin
On the subject of winter tires; what do the Canadians recommend for the maximum age of winter tires?

I don't worry about age, only tread wear. After a certain amount of wear, the fine ice-gripping surfaces wear off. With more wear, the harder rubber substrate of the tire comes to the surface. At that point, I really notice the difference on ice. They are still better than all-season tires, but nothing like new ice/snow tires.

#290830 - 10/10/18 02:56 PM Re: Winter preps -- Time for the switch over [Re: dougwalkabout]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
On the subject of winter tires; what do the Canadians recommend for the maximum age of winter tires?

I don't worry about age, only tread wear. After a certain amount of wear, the fine ice-gripping surfaces wear off. With more wear, the harder rubber substrate of the tire comes to the surface. At that point, I really notice the difference on ice. They are still better than all-season tires, but nothing like new ice/snow tires.

Some say to replace the tires because the rubber compound starts to harden en you lose some of the grip provided by that soft rubber. This is just not something the manufactures actually states. Something everybody here does agree on is to replace winter tires with less than 4mm tread (for winter performance).

Some people want to squeeze the remaining life out of the winter tires by driving from 4mm to 1.6mm (legal limit) in summer. A quick calculation of increased cost in fuel tells me it's cheaper to just toss them and put wear on the summer tires. It also performs poorly in summer...

#290833 - 10/10/18 08:04 PM Re: Winter preps -- Time for the switch over [Re: TeacherRO]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
In the UK there is an upsurge in 'cross climate' tyres. Good in fair wether and foul.

I have not tried them at all but many people report they work well.

I suspect they are neither fish nor foul or jack of all trades and master of none but the UK does not get the extremes seen elsewhere in the world but conditions can quickly change, good to bad and bad to good so it avoids constant tyre changes.

Thoughts?

Michelin

Review

#290835 - 10/10/18 10:31 PM Re: Winter preps -- Time for the switch over [Re: TeacherRO]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Dear me.... it has been SO long.... I forgot we use to have to change over to ‘snow tires’. We’ve been in FL TOO long!

#290843 - 10/12/18 02:53 AM Re: Winter preps -- Time for the switch over [Re: Tjin]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Some say to replace the tires because the rubber compound starts to harden en you lose some of the grip provided by that soft rubber.

I suppose the question is: how deep does that hardening go? I have no hard evidence on that, though my tire guys say it is only skin deep -- as soon as you run on clear asphalt or concrete, the hard skin is worn off.

Some people want to squeeze the remaining life out of the winter tires by driving from 4mm to 1.6mm (legal limit) in summer.

I have done that on occasion. As you say, there is a cost in fuel efficiency. Handling is affected also, though not so much that a capable driver cannot compensate. It helps to increase the tire pressure to the maximum listed on the tire itself. Still, it is a compromise, and from a survival point of view, tires are a terrible place to compromise.

#290844 - 10/12/18 03:01 AM Re: Winter preps -- Time for the switch over [Re: CJK]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: CJK
Dear me.... it has been SO long.... I forgot we use to have to change over to ‘snow tires’. We’ve been in FL TOO long!

I agree, the changeover is an unavoidable nuisance.

Watching the news, though, it does seem that nature regularly tries to wash FL back into the sea, which I imagine has its own attendant nuisance factor...? whistle

EDIT: Though I'm responding to a little friendly chaff with a little chaff of my own, I am also mindful of the impact of Hurricane Michael. Hope everyone is staying safe out there.

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/13/18 01:33 AM)

#290967 - 10/25/18 07:02 PM Re: Winter preps -- Time for the switch over [Re: TeacherRO]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
1) Changed to Snow Tires
2) Reloaded and Double Checked my Duffel Bag in my Vehicle
3) Removed a Lighter Jacket and Added a warmer Down parka in the Duffel
4) Ensured my Vehicle Maintenance was up to date and checked the Block Heater, Battery Blanket and Trickle Changer on the Battery
5) Cutting down on evening and night driving as it now gets darker faster and we have less light
boreal.net

#291125 - 11/16/18 06:30 AM Re: Winter preps -- Time for the switch over [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Snow In NYC today; will send report tomorrow

#291130 - 11/16/18 01:19 PM Re: Winter preps -- Time for the switch over [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I haven’t had a chance to unpack and repack the emergency kits yet, but I did put my ECWSS back in the car. This act brought to my attention that I may have too much prep stuff in the car; I’m going to go through everything and see if there are places that I can reduce redundancy.

#291133 - 11/16/18 07:04 PM Re: Winter preps -- Time for the switch over [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

ABC News report on the storm

A good reason for watching the weather, having a warm EDC kit and a reminder that Winter is here

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.