Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#290711 - 09/24/18 09:14 PM Re: Science behind Survival kits [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For my part, the distinction between a survival kit and a home preparedness kit is fairly trivial and I did not make a distinction in formulating the title (mea culpa).

Honest question - Does the difference lie in the distinction between "bugging in" and "bugging out"?

I prepare for either mode. If I stay, as I might in the aftermath of a severe earthquake (primarily because travel will be difficult, if not impossible) or leave, say, as in the case of fire (as I have done recently). It takes about ten minutes to sort and assemble the basic modules necessary for a quick departure (actual real world experience). Realistically, I don't think I will be heading for the hills, although that does remain as an option. Again it hinges on the disaster and its nature. Personally I think it important to be flexible and be willing to alter actions as situations evolve.

After all, where will any of us be when a big event occurs? During the 1994 Northridge earthquake, I was on San Miguel Island, and things got somewhat hectic since our mainland support was rather diminished (temporarily, thank goodness).

For several years, i maintained a SAR pack, adjusted with the seasons in southern Arizona, but set with the gear that would be required for either a rescue/retrieval (relatively short term) or a search ( often longer). When an operation came along, at first I attempted to fine tune the pack contents but eventually just grabbed the whole thing and headed out the door. There were situations where I used every major element of my gear. One just can't foresee the future all that well....

#290714 - 09/25/18 04:07 AM Re: Science behind Survival kits [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
some of you may be using the effect of Florence as a teaching moment...let me throw out an exercise I used with my 9th grade science students... one decision making technique I stressed was called "list, cluster, and label"... start with free thinking list off the top of your head on a topic under consideration, draw connecting lines between apparent similar points of your list to an open point in the margin of your paper, then label the termination point of these associated points with the label that best describes the overall concept...

for example, a free thinking list of hurricane problems
food, cooking, water, wind, rain, heat, cell phone, toilet, ice chest, flashlight, no power, cold drinks, no shower, pets, elder relatives, special needs, clothing, CAT 3+, flood zone

clusters and label
food + cooking + water + ice chest + cold drinks = cooking and food

wind + rain + heat + CAT 3 + flood zone = shelter or evacuate

toilet + no shower + clothing = sanitation

no power + flashlight = light

pets+ elder relatives+ special needs individuals = special needs

this allows you to identify specific decisions you need to consider, as well as those individual survival tools you might need, and consolidate them to a common shelf, bag, or location within your home

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.