Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#290668 - 09/22/18 10:45 PM Re: Martial Law [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I think it will only go in a bad direction.

#290669 - 09/22/18 11:04 PM Re: Martial Law [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
  • No TEOTWAWKI stuff

Acknowledged. I will respect that.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290670 - 09/22/18 11:35 PM Re: Martial Law [Re: gonewiththewind]
Carpal Tunnel

My joke about the zombies was harsh; according to Wikipedia martial law was imposed in America thirteen times. Every situation in America was brief and not the end of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law_in_the_United_States

If martial law is declared in America a fourteenth time, it will for a brief period like the other thirteen times. That is what I want us to put our focus.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290671 - 09/23/18 12:01 AM Re: Martial Law [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hmmm, I stayed out of this thread before the lockdown anticipating a lockdown as threads of this topic are magnets for TEOTWAWKI posts. So other than to say an optimistic, “No worries, it won’t happen here”, I’ll continue to stay out.

Have fun fantasizing.

#290672 - 09/23/18 12:47 AM Re: Martial Law [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
TPTB=The Powers That Be

#290673 - 09/23/18 02:34 AM Re: Martial Law [Re: gonewiththewind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Montanero
I think it will only go in a bad direction.

Maybe I’m an optimist. The group as a whole has made moderation VERY easy for me, especially in the last year or so. This makes me willing to take a risk of making more work for myself.

Montenero, I view your post as respectfully disagreeing with me regarding unlocking the thread, which I sincerely appreciate. I don’t make the rules, I just do my best to enforce them fairly. I rely on all of you to tell me when you feel like I’m making a mistake.

chaosmagnet

#290674 - 09/23/18 03:45 AM Re: Martial Law [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Given that this thread, already on very thin ice and skating toward open water, is now on chaosmagnet's VERY short leash, I will add a small comment or two. And then duck-and-cover under my desk. laugh

Words are important. The words "Martial Law" evoke the deepest of all fears. That's the reason such threads go ugly in seconds flat.

But standing back from such galvanizing words, it's important to recognize that all democracies, by practical necessity, have prior legislated measures available for dealing with a variety of emergency situations. If these are designed to be scalable to the problem at hand, and temporary in duration, and subject to scrutiny afterwards, they are not automatically the soul of all evil. They are nothing more than the best that can be done in a bad situation.

My 2c.

#290675 - 09/23/18 08:26 AM Re: Martial Law [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Thanks for re-opening.

TPTB=An abbreviation for the "the powers that be" avoids tedious discussion as to exactly WHICH official or government department is being referred to.

As regards martial law in the UK, I am not aware of it ever being been declared in recent times.
Likewise in the USA.

I consider it unlikely that martial law will be declared in either the USA or the UK.
It COULD happen though, and without veering into political argument, it seems reasonable to state that government powers are likely to be very considerably in excess of those powers whilst times are normal.

Requisitioning of goods and supplies, restrictions on travel, and the directing of labour are foreseeable consequences.

Disobeying instructions whilst under martial law could be a very high risk strategy indeed.

There is IMHO something to be said for a well buried cache of supplies for use after any serious or major disaster, including but not limited to martial law.
Floods, fires, tornadoes, heatwaves, blizzards, earthquakes, and other disasters are more likely and more worth considering.

#290676 - 09/23/18 12:36 PM Re: Martial Law [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

The place for me to be, in the event martial law is declared, is in our gated community unless we experience a flood.

I know the smart thing to do is to be in our homes and follow all orders given by the military. What if Mom and I are on a road trip in another state when martial law is declared? Do we have to remain in our timeshare or would we be allowed to drive back to Florida?

Jeanette Isabelle

#290677 - 09/23/18 01:27 PM Re: Martial Law [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Do we have to remain in our timeshare or would we be allowed to drive back to Florida?

Probably the given orders will tell you about that. I guess it will depend on the reason for declaring martial law. There may be reasons that demand to contain people where they are (e.g. disease control). There may also be a requirement to obtain paperworks for travelling.
Is there a standard procedure for special incidents in the USA? In Germany a standard procedure is to listen to radio broadcasts refering to the incident and inform people who might not have received the message. Radio stations have to broadcast those messages upon request.
You may also have to consider the case of having to transit through a state with martial law between your timeshare and your home.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.