The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#290580 - 09/17/18 01:34 AM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Knife Rights has an email out that links to a Washington Post article and explains in detail how the interview was arranged and conducted. Many here will probably receive the email. For those who don’t, the webpage at: “Knife Rights Featured on The Washington Post Front Page!”, replicates the email.

And in answer to my question a previous post, yes, DR’s knife was carried legally.

#290581 - 09/17/18 03:10 AM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, that's the first whopper just to set the tone. In the article I linked the author accused Doug of a crime in the second sentence! Could be worse, he could have lead with it. wink I'm not an expert on knife laws but if you're going to toss accusations at someone that is you damn sure better have your facts straight.

So for me that got the piece off on the wrong foot. If I'm introducing bias of my own in reading it, well, that's an issue we all have to be careful of. I imagine I get a little defensive because while I've never met him in person, Doug is "one of our own." It seems the the author injects subtle digs wherever possible. I suppose though it's as Doug said- it could have been worse.

Apropos of nothing and speaking for myself, not Mr. Ritter, the knife laws I find the most egregious are the ones like the "Gravity Knife" laws of NYC. Incredibly even their State Supreme Court can't figure out the facts. There really is no reliable means of determining if a knife is legal to carry. While I don't have a link right now I know of a case where a guy had a couple of different cops test his knife to see if would open with a flick- it would not and was deemed okay. But eventually he came across a bionic robocop that was able to flick it open and he went to jail. If you happen to be stopped by an Olympic-level knife popper maybe even your SAK is a gravity knife. It's asinine IMO, and a violation of our civil rights. Plus as the linked article points out those arrested are usually browner than I am.

Edited by Phaedrus (09/18/18 11:45 PM)

#290588 - 09/17/18 09:57 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: hikermor]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I note that the article was linked here already, but here you go: https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/wapo/

The WaPo reporter never exactly lied, but he also never quite told the whole truth. To some that's an art form that allows them to escape libel, while biasing the story the way they want. To those of us who prefer our news reasonably truthful and somewhat balanced, it is annoying.

As an example, as noted, he said the knife I carried was illegal to carry concealed, which, indeed, it is. He didn't lie. That this info is irrelevant to telling the story and is there just to lead an ignorant reader to the wrong conclusion is just a tad bit dishonest.

The article above notes some of the more major issues, there were many others. If it was easy, anyone would do it. Such is the advocacy game when you are successful enough to attract the attention of the big dogs. It beats being unsuccessful, at least most days. wink

It was bound to be a hit piece, given the paper's political leanings and the sordid track record of the reporter, the only question was to what degree.

We can only hope he ends up as successful as the WSJ reporter who set me down the path to founding Knife Rights in the first place: https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/knife-rights-was-born-10-years-ago-today/

Thanks to you all for you kind words and support.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#290590 - 09/17/18 10:29 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Reading the subject article "cold" for the first time, I thought you and Knife Rights looked pretty good. I was more worried about your cholesterol level than anything else! Granted that there is that thing about your drawing your knife.

More important is your statement that kitchen knives are the most common "weapon" - that definitely should have been included.

I thought of weaponized kitchen knives last night as I was washing dishes, cleaning Mrs. Hikermor's favorite tool, a nice pointy 5" paring knife, and gazed at our cutlery, including my grandfather's 14" butcher knife, a sacred totem. As with most kitchen drawers, lots of potential mayhem there...One wonders, are most knife crimes involved with domestic confrontations?

All in all, I thought you came off rather well in the article, as did the objectives of KR. If this is the worst job you ever receive from the media, you are fortunate. I have been involved in far worse....

#290592 - 09/17/18 10:47 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: hikermor]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Certainly not the worst. But, the one with the most reach and potentially causing us the most serious problems.

Yes, according to our best information, domestic violence is by far the most common situation where knives are used criminally. Where to many domestic arguments start and what is immediate at hand?

The FBI stats are pretty much useless since they lump any edged item used as a weapon into the same category.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#290594 - 09/17/18 11:03 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That's the tool/weapon dichotomy of so many everyday items. At a little league game you'll see a stack of baseball bats and it alarms no one. If a half dozen people are carrying the same objects down the street at 1:00am they're clubs and people panic. Very often I'll be toting my work knife case to or from the car on the way to work; within it are ten blades, most of them in excess of 180mm with one being 300mm or around 12". Few would bat an eye to see a guy wearing a chef coat carrying chef's knives.

The same applies to many other tools. In common law there's no problem with a contractor having a crow bar in his work vehicle, but if you're walking down an alley late at night with a crow bar in your duffle bags you may be in possession of "burglary tools".

The problem with the laws, at least IMO, is that the objects are being treated the same regardless of context.

A knife can make a fearsome weapon, that's true. But it's also a valuable tool, in many cases a life-saving one.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.