The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#290547 - 09/14/18 11:27 PM Re: Cooking when the power goes out [Re: Russ]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Our friends in France are more concerned with what you cook when the power goes out. After all, that's not a reason to eat well! Here are some recipes from our Friends, using simple canned tuna. smile note, if not comfortable with French accent, use closed captions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LevWbxhIHhE

#290548 - 09/14/18 11:48 PM Re: Cooking when the power goes out [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
smile I had the opportunity eat at the French mess when the French military hosted us at their base in Djibouti. Regardless, the French mess was like a French restaurant; best dinner I had the entire time I was deployed to the Indian Ocean AO. This was long before the U.S. mil had an established base there and I’ll bet the quality of the food dropped.

#290551 - 09/15/18 03:41 PM Re: Cooking when the power goes out [Re: adam2]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: adam2
Originally Posted By: Ian
We own and use a 'briefcase cooker':

Briefcase Cooker

£9-£10 here and Butane refills £1 each. Very easy and very safe to use. Also an additional gas ring in the kitchen when needed, Christmas dinner, big BBQ, cooking at the table, picnics.

-

A large (huge) vacuum flask may be used as a slow cooker, Pre-warm, fill with rapidly boiling stew, seal and only open when ready to serve.

-

I have found it easy to get large 3-4kWh computer UPSs for nothing. Companies often replace the whole thing rather than just rebattery every couple of years and throw out the old one!!!. I have the heating boiler wired to a standard plug which is simply plugged into the UPS which is then plugged into the wall. It will run our system for some days easily, either bridging the blackout or giving time to set up an alternative

I would be very doubtful indeed about the "briefcase cooker" linked to above.
Apparently they have a very poor safety record, with a number of explosions reported.
The failure mode is said to be leakage of the gas, which ignites and plays a flame over the gas cartridge which then explodes.
I prefer an LPG cooking ring with a large refillable cylinder that is a reasonable distance from the flame.

I have read several rapports from several countries, they all point to the issue of overheating. If you use a pan which is too large (or some places that put a large rock on it), then the heat will reflect back to the fuel canister. This can caus eit to over heat and explode. But most do have a warning about the maxium size pan to use, people just don't read it...

#290556 - 09/16/18 12:42 AM Re: Cooking when the power goes out [Re: adam2]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: adam2
Originally Posted By: Ian
We own and use a 'briefcase cooker':

Briefcase Cooker

£9-£10 here and Butane refills £1 each. Very easy and very safe to use. Also an additional gas ring in the kitchen when needed, Christmas dinner, big BBQ, cooking at the table, picnics.

-

A large (huge) vacuum flask may be used as a slow cooker, Pre-warm, fill with rapidly boiling stew, seal and only open when ready to serve.

-

I have found it easy to get large 3-4kWh computer UPSs for nothing. Companies often replace the whole thing rather than just rebattery every couple of years and throw out the old one!!!. I have the heating boiler wired to a standard plug which is simply plugged into the UPS which is then plugged into the wall. It will run our system for some days easily, either bridging the blackout or giving time to set up an alternative

I would be very doubtful indeed about the "briefcase cooker" linked to above.
Apparently they have a very poor safety record, with a number of explosions reported.
The failure mode is said to be leakage of the gas, which ignites and plays a flame over the gas cartridge which then explodes.
I prefer an LPG cooking ring with a large refillable cylinder that is a reasonable distance from the flame.

The Iwatani version has a heat shield, the GasOne might as well. I've used that style at work and at home for a few decades with no problems. Ymmv. You do have to use it carefully and mind the instructions.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.