Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#290525 - 09/13/18 03:19 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In hurricanes, most fatalities occur from the flooding and storm surge, not from damage due to high winds.

After all, cat 2 is a mere 100 mph, something I have never experienced. I know it is hard to keep my footing in a 55mph "breeze."

#290538 - 09/14/18 04:03 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Looks like the winds have mostly subsided to around a max of 80 mph - which can still cause damage.

Lots of social media vocalizing that the hurricane did live up to the big hype and are questioning the call to evac as many areas received very little to no flooding nor wind damage.

John Lubbock

#290541 - 09/14/18 04:15 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

On the other hand,there were media reports of requests for rescue from people who stayed behind in low lying areas that were immediately flooded.

It is a matter of probabilities and there is no way, yet, to be extremely precise about when and where the maximum damage and disruption will occur. You must assess your situation, look at the possible consequences, and determine your course of action.

I experienced one hurricane years ago when I was in coastal Georgia on a training assignment. Our classes were suspended for a day, although we eventually had nothing more than heavy showers and moderate winds - nothing that kept from doing a six mile run while school was out.

As it turned out, we were on the edge of the storm, which passed rather quickly, but we were not square in the path nor in the NE quadrant.

#290552 - 09/15/18 04:31 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Montanero has gone dark for the past few days (for some odd reason!). I hope that he will return shortly as the power is restored and the creeks recede, with a lot of positive, uplifting war stories about Flo....

#290567 - 09/16/18 05:49 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Power just returned a few minutes ago. We lost it for almost 3 days, which is unusually long for here, but not bad considering.

The wind has lost strength but is still blowing, and there is more rain to come. Flooding has not reached its zenith as of yet.

Our efforts to help others prepare did pay off, and everyone was self sufficient during the storm. We did not lose water, so a lot of the problem from hurricane Mathew 2 years ago did not occur with this one.

We are still looking at helping evacuees, with more evacuations likely to come.

#290571 - 09/16/18 06:59 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Now the water treatment plant is flooding, so now we could lose water. I have about 75 gallons stored, so we are good.

#290574 - 09/16/18 08:13 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Ironic! Record setting floods, and water may be scarce.

"Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink...Water, water everywhere and all the boards did shrink..."

Glad you and your neighbors are getting through OK. It is calm, about 70 degrees here in la-la land, with no smoke in the sunny sky (yet...).

#290583 - 09/17/18 11:46 AM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Thanks for the updates Montanero.

#290608 - 09/18/18 09:40 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Flooding should crest within the next 24 hours, people still being evacuated.

I spent the day working in a Red Cross shelter for those who had already evacuated, and they are expecting more people tonight, though some have already left for other safe havens.

People expect too much from the Red Cross too fast, they need to be self sufficient for at least 72 hours; until the supplies begin rolling in.

Many (most) brought nothing with them to the shelter. There was plenty of warning and time to prepare, and those living in areas that flooded were the same ones who had to evacuate 2 years ago in hurricane Mathew.

The Red Cross could disseminate information on specific shelter needs more broadly and effectively. More could have been done sooner and alleviated many problems.

The community as a whole has been extremely generous with donations of all necessities. Businesses and community organizations brought large amounts of supplies to the shelters.

Just some observations.

#290613 - 09/19/18 09:33 AM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: Montanero

Many (most) brought nothing with them to the shelter.

Perhaps they could be introduced to the concept of a 'Ticket'.

Entry to many venues requires you to tender a ticket before entry, this may be bought beforehand or at the door.

In this case, and for people expecting to shelter with me, it means bringing something useful: food, drink, batteries, ham radio, whatever. It would be more acceptable if the 'Ticket' were enough to exceed their expected stay but anything showing an acknowledgement of their use of resources is acceptable.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.