Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Wow, that looks pretty useful! Bookmarked for further study. cool

#289208 - 06/05/18 11:31 AM Re: new Garmin mini-InReach [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Color me skeptical...i don't go into the wild to transmit my position back home at ten minute intervals and i want relief from checking my email, etc.

But it is a really useful item in an emergency...

#289212 - 06/05/18 05:04 PM Re: new Garmin mini-InReach [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Color me skeptical...i don't go into the wild to transmit my position back home at ten minute intervals and i want relief from checking my email, etc.

But it is a really useful item in an emergency...
You don't need to use those features if you don't want to. You can turn the thing off and stash it in your pack. Only when and if you get into trouble then turn it on.

The advantage over a PLB is that besides transmitting an SOS with your GPS location, one can communicated details of ones predicament to rescue teams. The disadvantage over a PLB is that InReach requires paying a monthly subscription fee.

#289231 - 06/06/18 03:59 PM Re: new Garmin mini-InReach [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

As I understand it, a good many of today's emergencies are handled and announced by cell phone, which provides far more info than we had back in the old days. My data is incomplete, fo some one more informed is welcome to correct.

Of course, cell phones do not reach everywhere and that is where the new gadgetry comes into play. Knowing details of the emergency could run the risk of making SAR work entirely too easy and routine - where is the challenge?? (sarcasm alert...)

Still, in the old days (60 years ago), when we went out on a trip, we went with the realization that SAR was non-existent and we would have to deal with problems ourselves.

I remember one trip where one of our party took a wrong turn, heading down the wrong side of the range. he was strong, reasonably well equipped for a day hike, and resourceful, so we thought 'If he is not back by Wednesday, maybe we should call the sheriff or something.." he was back by late Tuesday. Our response might have been diferent had he been a winsome blonde....

You have a different mindset if you are planning for a situation where rescue is not possible or will be long and intricate (say, for instance, if you have a problem deep within a cave). My attitude still has traces of my old mindset, and i just haven't gotten around to purchasing a PLB or similar device, preferring to upgrade my current gear. Talk about a dinosaur.....

#289233 - 06/06/18 04:59 PM Re: new Garmin mini-InReach [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
You have a different mindset if you are planning for a situation where rescue is not possible or will be long and intricate (say, for instance, if you have a problem deep within a cave). My attitude still has traces of my old mindset, and i just haven't gotten around to purchasing a PLB or similar device, preferring to upgrade my current gear. Talk about a dinosaur.....
I try to maintain that mindset, even with the new gadgetry. It is always good to self rescue if possible.

The newer devices such as InReach do have some applications besides calling for rescue. For example, on remote fly in trips in Alaska it is now possible to alert your air taxi that you will be late for a scheduled pick up. In some cases this will prevent launching an unneccessary SAR.

We have also used these devices on SAR missions, to communicate with field teams in areas which can't be reached by radio or cell phone.

#289234 - 06/06/18 05:21 PM Re: new Garmin mini-InReach [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Two way communications is never a bad thing, it depends on how you use it.

#289242 - 06/07/18 12:29 AM Re: new Garmin mini-InReach [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Pre cell phone and PLBs, a SAR operation usually began with a phone call stating that "johnny is overdue from his hike," along with more or less precise information about his route and plans. So many operations began as searches which might become rescues, with wildly varying outcomes ranging from benign to tragic.

Today, operations more often begin with a call from the scene, along with information about the situation. That definitely enables a more effective response.

#290461 - 09/10/18 05:14 PM Re: new Garmin mini-InReach [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone tried either the regular or the mini yet?

#290465 - 09/10/18 06:47 PM Re: new Garmin mini-InReach [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

It also pairs with the new Garmin 66 series of handheld GPS receivers (announced last week) to transmit coordinates but I think you need a Iridium subscription too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.