Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#290456 - 09/10/18 04:05 PM Hurricane Florence
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Yes, another hurricane. We got off easy last year in NC. Just checking all preps and checking all our friends' and neighbors' preps as well. Should not hit until late Thursday or early Friday. Current track is right over our roof, but we are pretty far inland, so nothing significant to worry about.

#290457 - 09/10/18 04:52 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
There could be a lot of rain. Check our this map of the estimated rainfall: https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/wpc_qpf_168h_p.us_ma-1.png

#290458 - 09/10/18 04:59 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm re-checking expiration dates on things...

#290462 - 09/10/18 06:00 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There’s going to be a lot of rain with this one and probably some high winds depending on how far you are from landfall. You never really know what will happen once these storms cross the beach. Do they move on thru and just drop trees, or do they stall and then proceed to drop trees and lots of rain. All you can do is be ready for all of the above.

Fortunately, I no longer reside in hurricane or typhoon prone areas. When I did I was generally less prepared than I would be today. However, the one thing I always did was top off my car’s gas tank. Later, I expanded that to fuel for cooking — camp stove fuel.

Currently I live in an EQ prone area and rather than topping off the tank, I just reserve the lower half of the tank because EQ’s are much less predictable than the hurricane you track for days prior. Cooking wise I keep a full 20# propane tank to use with my Coleman camp stove, as well as a dozen butane bottles for my Gas One butane stove.

** A good amount (lots) of drinking water is always a good thing.

[Sarc on]
If you are near the beach, don’t forget to go surfing just before the storm hits. Awesome waves with plenty of news/weather reporters there to document your stupidity. wink I hear kite-surfing is the thing to do during the height of the storm cool
[Sarc off]

#290463 - 09/10/18 06:14 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am always intrigued by the different ways in which you can prepare for hurricanes (relatively predictable) vs. EQ (predictable only in a broad sense). Like Russ I keep gas in the tank, stove fuel on hand, as well as several stoves, and plenty of drinking water.

Stay safe and keep your powder (and other critical items) dry!

#290466 - 09/10/18 08:07 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Another thing to consider is electricity after the storm passes. I see the NC stores are being cleaned out of all their batteries... rechargeable batteries are a wonderful thing, now would be a good time to top them all up.

My Goal Zero Yeti 400 has a 95% charge and AA’s/AAA’s are at the ready. The AA/AAA batteries are for flashlights, the Yeti is for our cell phones. Cell service may come back quickly, but you need a fully charged phone, so a power bank of some type that you like is also a good thing.

#290468 - 09/10/18 09:39 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
+1 to Russ's comments, especially concerning rechargeables, they are the cat's meow. I back mine up with a couple of solar panels ( GZ Nomad) and store in several smaller power banks. I should be able to keep some lights and cell phones operational. I suspect this is a pretty decent strategy for almost any sort of disaster.

#290469 - 09/10/18 11:32 PM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yep, that small Goal Zero battery charger is a nice little system. That was my first GZ unit and it will charge a cell phone easily if the sun cooperates.

Times like this I’m glad I picked up the second phone that’s not so smart but is rugged, waterproof and has a removable battery. I can charge the battery in the phone and then swap it out with a second battery and charge that one also.

#290470 - 09/11/18 02:01 AM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Montanero, best of luck, Sir... rain in the mountains is something I have no experience with, I'm lucky to be at 32feet, inland 2 miles from the Gulf of Mexico... just a couple of thoughts from Irma last year... a generator reduces a lot of anxiety....in addition to water; tea, coffee, cold soft drink is very welcomed, along with some snacks... a way to cook and not need hot water for clean up makes a small tail gate propane grill look very appealing... cooking on bamboo skewers... 7 day coolers don't need to be roto formed to hold for multiple days, I transfer perishable food to them as soon as the power goes out... bagged ice for drinks in addition to solid frozen water jugs in case... second cooler to transport ice... non potable water to shower and flush... re chargable AA powered radios, headlamps, task and area LEDs....filled #1 propane cylinders and a couple of 25# bulk tanks...

small things... insulated beverage mug...battery circulating fan...trailer hitch ball on riding mower...utility trailer... chain saw...power strip to charge all batteries from the same wall outlet..quick dry nylon clothing if fire is not a potential

at my age a heart attack doing something foolish is more of a potential threat than the storm itself....

run from the water, and hide from the wind (Craig Fugate)

#290471 - 09/11/18 02:03 AM Re: Hurricane Florence [Re: gonewiththewind]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Several months ago I cleverly reserved a beach house for our extended family (5 groups from Georgia to PA) for a week in Corolla, NC starting this coming Saturday. The worst weather there should over by then, but the amount of rain still coming down and flooding the mainland may be daunting. Mandatory evacuations for all of the Outer Banks are in effect, after which the two bridges will likely be closed. If either/both of them are damaged by Florence . . .
And that's just the Outer Banks.
If bridges/homes further south are damaged after over a million coastal residents are evacuated . . .

8^(

In thinking about the force of wind and water Psalms 107:25 and 148:8 have come to mind.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.