Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290443 - 09/09/18 12:40 AM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It depends on how old the dynamite is. Some VERY OLD dynamite could be set off with a flame or spark and was based on nitroglycerin. Anything she likely had was newer than that, as the nitroglycerin tends to sweat out of the wrappers and form pools on the surface it is resting on. Very difficult to clean up. So unless the dynamite had a blasting cap and time fuse inserted, it likely did not actually detonate.

#290444 - 09/09/18 06:44 AM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
You think you'd know that candles don't have fuses but on the other hand you don't generally expect to find explosives in the basement (unless your home is more interesting than mine).

#290446 - 09/09/18 03:25 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My reading of the article is that it was a very large firework, rather than some kind of professional explosive device stored fused with a blasting cap. Given the power described I stand by my original comments regarding storage of explosives.

#290447 - 09/09/18 04:13 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: chaosmagnet]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Storing explosives properly is always a good idea even if it just is fireworks. In Germany they usually air warning spots on TV between Chirstmas and new year´s eve to encourage people to be careful with the fireworks (e. g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z8DFh9Jp-0&t=160, they blow up a dummy hand so viewer´s discretion might be required).
Fireworks bear an extra risk as they usually are stored fused.

#290448 - 09/09/18 04:46 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
My reading of the article is that it was a very large firework, rather than some kind of professional explosive device stored fused with a blasting cap. Given the power described I stand by my original comments regarding storage of explosives.

The article cited speaks of "dynamite," which of course could be a generic term (anything highly flammable) used by the reporter; it might well have been a road flare, signal flare, or some such which could cause damage if handled carelessly, as this one evidently was.

Reminds me, I have a couple of nautical signal flares that I should dispose of properly - take to the local FD, most likely.

#290449 - 09/09/18 08:23 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Whether it was a large firework (very likely) or dynamite (almost zero possibility) doesn't really matter much. What matters is that Darwin is still at work here. Even my dog would have recognized that thing was not a candle based on pictures I've seen of it - allegedly - on other websites. It makes me sad that someone could have obtained the age of 30 and still be so ignorant. She didn't deserve to be injured so, but man, was she dumb. She finds something like this in her basement, unknown, and from the previous tenant, ... and decides to light it off in the house???!!!

#290452 - 09/09/18 11:34 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I guarantee that anyone here, blindfolded and in total darkness, could ID the differences between a candle and any of those fireworks or explosives.

#290455 - 09/10/18 02:04 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: haertig]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: haertig
She finds something like this in her basement, unknown, and from the previous tenant, ... and decides to light it off in the house???!!!

For an amateur magician is it not so surprising.
  • time lapse: after a few seconds they do not remember
  • directing expectation:she was looking for a candle and the find matched enough parameters
  • experience: they probably did not put explosives in the basement so it should not be there

After seeing what an audience will swallow, mistaking fireworks for a candle is totally believable.
It would be safer to just dispose of things that a previous tenant left - especially if there is no immediate use for it or if it cannot be readily identified.

#290459 - 09/10/18 05:05 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Have you ever noticed that white gas fuel bottles look alot like a water bottle in the dark...?

Label everything

#290464 - 09/10/18 06:45 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Have you ever noticed that white gas fuel bottles look alot like a water bottle in the dark...?

Label everything

Pee bottle when camping?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.