The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290430 - 09/08/18 04:58 AM Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
BRIDGEPORT — Bridgeport police said a woman was seriously injured after a quarter-stick of dynamite blew up in her hand.

Police said that after the family at 1248 Lindley Street lost power during a thunderstorm Thursday night, they tried going to Home Depot for emergency lights. Home Depot was closed.

The family then remembered that when they bought the house two years prior, there were a couple of what they thought were candles in the basement, left by the previous owners of the home.

https://fox61.com/2018/09/07/bridgeport-woman-blows-up-hand-mistaking-dynamite-for-a-candle/

John Lubbock

#290433 - 09/08/18 01:48 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Good argument for visiting the local big box before power outages occur.

We are getting ready for a "maintenance power outage" planned to last about six hours this afternoon.Good opportunity to see how we will do without electricity (no internet, no ETS!! Oh no!)..

Power outages are common events these days - a routine emergency, if you will, and they are fairly easy to prepare for:

Step one: Eat all the ice cream before it melts....

#290434 - 09/08/18 03:13 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
It’s also a really good idea to make sure that if you keep explosives, you store them safely, under lock and key, and well-marked.

#290435 - 09/08/18 03:20 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Naw, I keep my explosives in my dresser for easier access!!

it would be helpful if they could identify a candle first, and see that what they had was not made with wax and a wick. A fuse does not look like a wick, dynamite does not feel the same as a candle. This was just idiocy.

#290437 - 09/08/18 05:49 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Idiocy may be too strong, definitely ignorance. There’s probably some form of cognitive dissonance at play with her needing to believe she was holding a candle, while she should have realized that what she was holding was not a candle — perception meets reality. Since she needed a candle, she lit the match.

#290438 - 09/08/18 07:01 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I suspect that lighting in the basement was deficient, and in order to see what she was holding, she lit a match.....

But blasting caps are set off by a momentary spark. Did the dynamite really explode, or just burn vigorously?

#290439 - 09/08/18 07:50 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Good question. I’ve never had the opportunity to work with dynamite, but as I recall the active ingredient is nitroglycerine in an absorbant base with stabilizers. Another question is what exactly was the “wick” she lit? How are the caps normally activated? I’m assuming not with the <1” wick you’d normally find on a candle; so how long was the wick on this “candle”?

Still, a stick of dynamite is not something of which most people have any experience, so her not recognizing it for what it was is almost understandable. That said, Montanero’s terminology may have been correct — idiot, both the victim and the idiot who left it for her to find.

#290440 - 09/08/18 08:29 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Russ]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Basically there are two types of blasting caps. One is electric and the other uses a burning fuse. It is somehow fishy that the stick seems to have been stored with cap and fuse. So it is hard to tell how long the fuse was. On top there are fuses with different burning speeds. A short fuse may burn for several seconds.
Most people should have experience with candles. If it does not feel like a candle it may be a bad idea to set it on fire in the first place.

#290441 - 09/08/18 11:42 PM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: Teslinhiker]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
This may be use of a regional term to describe a firecracker: we used to buy "quartersticks" for July 4th. They were cardboard tubes, usually red, with epoxied ends, a green fuse sticking out through one end, filled with...whatever they fill M-80s with. These were about the diameter of a 50 cent piece and maybe four inches long.
They look nothing like a candle.
I've seen the damage a handheld M-80 does--I would expect the damage described in the article, from one of these "quartersticks."

#290442 - 09/09/18 12:29 AM Re: Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite [Re: UncleGoo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

My experience with dynamite and blasting caps dates from, literally, fifty years ago.When transporting the materials, we had the caps and dynamite in different, separate vehicles. They never met until the dynamite was armed with the cap. My mentor instructed me to always know where the plunger was at all times, preferably in my hip pocket, and disconnected from the wires.

We did not blast during lightning storms...needless to say. Scholarly, mild mannered archaeologists does not usually employ dynamite, but when it absolutely, positively, must move, nothing beats a half stick.

Edited by hikermor (09/09/18 12:30 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.