Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#290425 - 09/07/18 09:08 PM Re: Giving paper matches another look [Re: clearwater]
Ratch Offline
Journeyman

Live in north, so wide swings from summer to winter. In future, going to have uco matches, fire steel.

#290426 - 09/07/18 10:14 PM Re: Giving paper matches another look [Re: Ratch]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Ratch
Live in north, so wide swings from summer to winter. In future, going to have uco matches, fire steel.

Like any mass-produced item, there are a small percentage of Bics with a valve that is not 100%.

But they are so cheap and lightweight that there's no excuse for not having several within reach. And it's wise to check your gear every year.

I tend to have redundant fire starting methods, though. I think your approach is a good one. But don't automatically give up on Bics.

#290428 - 09/08/18 03:49 AM Re: Giving paper matches another look [Re: hikermor]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
I have to wonder if they have not toned the recipe of the match mix over the years due to liability issues. Maybe some idiot had a pocket full and they ignited.

A little research however turned up part of the problem. Strike anywhere matches are considered hazardous material for shipping purposes, at least one manufacturer discontinued the product because of the outrageous shipping charges associated with the product.

But that only explains the decreased availability of the product. Not the sub-par performance, which as I noted, has likely been dialed back. The fact that they are used by meth cooks probably has not helped the problem. (Anyone try to buy sudafed these days?)

Without a doubt, the do not ignite as easily and certainly seem to deteriorate in no time.

Edited by WesleyH (09/08/18 04:10 AM)

#290436 - 09/08/18 03:26 PM Re: Giving paper matches another look [Re: clearwater]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Zippo Typhoon Matches

Standard disclaimer, just a customer. I did want to see how well this container help up.

The matches work as they are advertised, much like the UCO and REI stormproof matches. They are probably manufactured the same way. Do not try to light them the way most people try to light matches. It is better to push them across the striker rather than drag them sideways. They will break, like any other matches.

The case does float, and the seal on the match compartment keeps the water out even when completely submerged. I was more worried about the strike pad under the bottom cap. It is not a screw cap with an O ring like the match compartment. However, 20 minutes submerged a few inches under water, it did not allow any water to reach the strike pad. I am pleasantly surprised. I have used the UCO and REI stormproof matches a great deal, and these perform just as well.

Do be aware of the form factor and size of the container. It is great for a backpack or large pocket, but too large for most survival kits.

#290450 - 09/09/18 09:40 PM Re: Giving paper matches another look [Re: clearwater]
Ratch Offline
Journeyman

We need to do survival time capsules. For it to have statistical significance, say 24 persons to stash away uco matches, a couple of bic lighters, etc. dig them out in ten years and see what works. Or sadly, see who’s still here (said the 70 year old guy).

#290553 - 09/15/18 05:57 PM Re: Giving paper matches another look [Re: clearwater]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Interesting read re paper matches. So my questions are: 1) Are all paper matches of the same quality? 2). Is there a “superior” brand or type of paper match, e.g. one that is more water resistant or burns longer? & 3) Is one brand or brands better than any other(s) and if so, where can you buy them?

#290554 - 09/15/18 07:17 PM Re: Giving paper matches another look [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I don't think I have ever seen paper matches for sale by them selves. Usually they are distributed free with logos, as advertising. One exception might be those that are included in MRE/C ration packages. They probably have to meet some mil-spec or another and are perhaps supposed to be somewhat waterproof.

The military paper matches I recently played with were quite old and didn't seem to very good (Not everything gets better with age!)

If you want a good dependable single match, go for the Uco/REI type with lots of ignitable material on the stick; they seem to do quite well.

#290555 - 09/15/18 07:28 PM Re: Giving paper matches another look [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I ordered the Zippo Typhoon Matches Montanero mentioned and they are huge. They look similar to the UCO Titan Stormproof matches available at REI and elsewhere. Is one better than the other? Probably very similar in performance. I’ll carry a few of these with my Bic lighter and put a check next to “Fire” on my list.

#290557 - 09/16/18 12:45 AM Re: Giving paper matches another look [Re: Russ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Russ
I ordered the Zippo Typhoon Matches Montanero mentioned and they are huge. They look similar to the UCO Titan Stormproof matches available at REI and elsewhere. Is one better than the other? Probably very similar in performance. I’ll carry a few of these with my Bic lighter and put a check next to “Fire” on my list.

The UCO matches are a lot better which surprised me. Despite being slightly smaller than the Zippos they actually burn longer and much more fiercely. The UCO are also much harder to extinguish.

#290562 - 09/16/18 04:06 PM Re: Giving paper matches another look [Re: acropolis5]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Interesting read re paper matches. So my questions are: 1) Are all paper matches of the same quality? 2). Is there a “superior” brand or type of paper match, e.g. one that is more water resistant or burns longer? & 3) Is one brand or brands better than any other(s) and if so, where can you buy them?

I haven't used a paper match made after about 1985, so I can't comment on the state of the current ones. I do see bricks of them in restaurant supply stores and dollar stores. Watch out, though: the modern trend is to make everything so cheaply that it's almost useless. (I may pick some up just for testing.)

For wilderness/survival use, paper matches are not adequate IMO. Go with reliable methods: Bics, lifeboat matches, and ferro rods.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.