The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#290042 - 07/25/18 11:21 PM I'm Not Coming Home
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Arguably the biggest challenge in preparing for a permanent bugout is deciding what you will leave behind. I'm perhaps the youngest member; at thirty-two, I have my share of memories in the form of tangible items. How do I choose which memories to leave behind?

Photos can be digitized, if they are not already, and placed in a USB drive. What if the USB drive is taken out by an EMP, damaged in some other way or I have limited computer access? I can't put all of my eggs in one basket.

Some memories are in the form of hand tools. That is an easy decision to make because tools serve a practical purpose.

In the end, it comes down to the individual. There are complexities in the decision-making process that can't be quickly put into words. How does one decide?

Sending things ahead of me is not possible at this time.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290045 - 07/26/18 03:21 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I've posted this before, but not sure if you have ever acknowledged reading the post... it prompted me to purchase a small utility trailer,(1)to have the means to transport some items if necessary, and (2) offer an off ground platform on which to pitch a temporary shelter if I needed to rebuild my house

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

#290047 - 07/26/18 11:17 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: LesSnyder]
Carpal Tunnel

I've read that before. I didn't think it was all that helpful. I'll reread it just in case I find something valuable the second time around.

You mentioned a utility trailer. I don't have the luxury of having that much with me. It may come down to what I can check in before boarding a plane.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290049 - 07/26/18 01:17 PM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Many bug out situations might be long term, but few would have to be truly forever.
Therefore considering burying valuable or useful items with a view to possible later retrieval.

Even if you return years later and find that your home has been burnt, looted, or destroyed by nature, buried caches would probably survive.
A wide range of watertight containers are available.
Burial is better done in plenty of time, not during the panic of an emergency. Make certain that you can locate your cache, perhaps years later.
Large trees make good landmarks, even if destroyed by fire or cut down for wood, the stump should be recognised.

Contents could include
20 year shelf life dried food
Water filters.
20 year shelf life batteries.
Candles, matches, lighter fluid.
Ammunition, preferably in sealed tins.
Small tools, a hatchet, a saw and so on.
A few gold coins.
Photographs and other sentimental items.
Synthetic cord and rope.
A tarp, or two.

#290051 - 07/26/18 01:56 PM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: LesSnyder]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I've posted this before, but not sure if you have ever acknowledged reading the post... it prompted me to purchase a small utility trailer,(1)to have the means to transport some items if necessary, and (2) offer an off ground platform on which to pitch a temporary shelter if I needed to rebuild my house

Like that page. Big fan of data backup.

Jeanette_Isabelle

I have a few technical issues with his backup solutions, but agree with ideas behind them.

IDEA- While his method may not work for you, I think the philosophy applies to most of us.

IDEA Data: back it up!
APPLICATION Data: When he did his writeup, the cloud did not exist. I have all my documents/photos on my PC, on a NAS, on a paid, ENCRYPTED Cloud service. I like USB, but it is not enough. If my house blew up, I still have 90% of our data. My resume is on cloud, in email; heck, I have a copy at work.

IDEA- PLAN Jeanette_Isabelle Your plan may not be HIS plan, but in this regard, while your plan and his are not the same, you both PLAN.
Application- PLAN you are already doing it.

IDEA STUFF- What can you not live without, or what do you need to rebuild?
APPLICATION- Stuff- This is tough. I have insurance, with riders for expensive stuff. I need the stuff that will get us out and keep us comfortable. I have a trunk of "Oh Crap" in the garage (reminds me, the clothes need updating- Darn kids keep growing) Basically a glorified suitcase, but bigger. In MY case, If I have the kids, the wife, Ideally the dogs, and a few days of stuff until the shock wears off, everything else is a push. Wife's Van will hold us, plus stuff, with range of 400 miles on full tank. That gets us to local relative, or Minneapolis for distant relatives.

#290054 - 07/26/18 04:33 PM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: adam2]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: adam2
Many bug out situations might be long term, but few would have to be truly forever.

I'm preparing for the Seven Seals and the Seven Trumpets mentioned in The Revelation of Yeshua Messiah. Once I leave home, I will never see it again.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290066 - 07/27/18 01:59 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: LesSnyder]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder

I'm rereading it. It's good to refresh because one of the things he drives home is getting a laptop. A laptop is something I'm considering; I can't afford to buy one at this time. I believe I will in two years.

I'm still left with a question that I don't think anyone here can answer. How do I choose which memories to leave behind?

Some things I want to bring with me are Stagebills of operas and other theater productions I have seen. I have the book The Shepherd of the Hills, autographed by the cast of The Shepherd of the Hills.

https://theshepherdofthehills.com/drama/

I have my eighteenth birthday gift, an original drawing by the cartoonist Bill Holbrook. I'm keeping the original; here's a digital copy:

I have a limited edition CD set by The Sounds of Christmas Orchestra and Chorus.

I'm going through comic books by Isabel Marks to decide if I should keep them or not.

http://namirdeiter.com/

My favorite is Best of Dealing With It, her autobiographical comic which is no longer online. When I ordered it, Isabel included buttons of my two favorite characters: Joy and Gabby.

I'm keeping my diploma and the tools that tell a story; I probably need to leave behind the dream catcher that my Native American friend, Raven Child, made for me.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290067 - 07/27/18 02:25 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If all you need are the memories, buy an external hard-drive. Something like the WD - easystore® 4TB External USB 3.0. That’s just one, there are a lot of ‘em. Load up all your documents and digital media, pictures, videos — and just take the hard drive with you.

#290068 - 07/27/18 02:35 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
If all you need are the memories, buy an external hard-drive. Something like the WD - easystore® 4TB External USB 3.0. That’s just one, there are a lot of ‘em. Load up all your documents and digital media, pictures, videos — and just take the hard drive with you.

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Photos can be digitized, if they are not already, and placed in a USB drive. What if the USB drive is taken out by an EMP, damaged in some other way or I have limited computer access? I can't put all of my eggs in one basket.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290069 - 07/27/18 03:13 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
All memories are fleeting, even my memory of earlier posts in this thread. wink

However, do what you can. It may fail to an EMP or some other casualty, but at least you will have tried. There are methods of protecting devices from an EMP, smaller devices are easier. As for limited space and doing a triage of sorts wrt what to take and what to leave behind, can’t help you with that.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.