The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#290353 - 08/29/18 07:15 PM 2 AA Flashlight
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Looking for a new 2 AA battery flashlight for EDC.

Admittedly, I am not a flashlight geek and never plan to be, so I am not at all, interested in all the geeky details or comparisons of esoteric features I would never understand, etc.

All I need is a simple, yet reliable flashlight with a couple of brightness settings to choose from. Price point is $50.00 - $75.00.

Thanks for any recommendations.

John Lubbock

#290354 - 08/29/18 08:32 PM Re: 2 AA Flashlight [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
https://www.rei.com/product/124307/fenix-fd20-focus-flashlight
The Fenix FD20 would meet your specs. It is available from a lot of online retailers, not just the one referenced above. I am sure there are others, but Fenix is a quality brand, and reliable

I appreciate yur desire for simplicity and utility, but I would suggest you consider lights that run on a single 18650 rechargeable battery. They are about the same size and bulk but with significantly increased capability. You really should put rechargeable AAs in the Fenix light or similar for a variety of reasons, including ultimate cost. This means you purchase a charging station. If you do that, you might as well get one that will handle lithium-ion batteries. i believe you will be glad you did.

I am not a flashlight geek, and I could care less about beam quality and other things that are raved about endlessly on various forums. But I am very happy I am carrying lithium-ion units. Mash on the button and you get light, every time....

#290355 - 08/29/18 08:54 PM Re: 2 AA Flashlight [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I switched to rechargeable AA & AAA batteries because I lost too many electronic devices (including flashlights) to leaking alkaline batteries. NiMH batteries just don’t seem to leak at all.

#290356 - 08/29/18 08:58 PM Re: 2 AA Flashlight [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
https://www.rei.com/product/124307/fenix-fd20-focus-flashlight
The Fenix FD20 would meet your specs. It is available from a lot of online retailers, not just the one referenced above. I am sure there are others, but Fenix is a quality brand, and reliable

I appreciate yur desire for simplicity and utility, but I would suggest you consider lights that run on a single 18650 rechargeable battery. They are about the same size and bulk but with significantly increased capability. You really should put rechargeable AAs in the Fenix light or similar for a variety of reasons, including ultimate cost. This means you purchase a charging station. If you do that, you might as well get one that will handle lithium-ion batteries. i believe you will be glad you did.

I am not a flashlight geek, and I could care less about beam quality and other things that are raved about endlessly on various forums. But I am very happy I am carrying lithium-ion units. Mash on the button and you get light, every time....

Thanks for the link. I did see those lights when I was looking earlier today. As for the AA batteries, I have about 30-40 AA Eneloops, so I am good for awhile for rechargeables and which is why I am specifically looking for an AA compatible flashlight.

John Lubbock

#290357 - 08/29/18 09:12 PM Re: 2 AA Flashlight [Re: Teslinhiker]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'm curious ... How are you carrying an EDC two AA flashlight? They seem kind of big (long) to me for EDC, unless you're carrying it in a bag of some kind.

My EDC is in pocket, so I carry a one AAA ARC light. It is not super bright, but enough if needed. Honestly, these days I usually carry my smartphone, and I've started thinking that with a flashlight app it is actually brighter than my ARC light. Maybe I'd be better using that ARC pocket space for something else (like a tiny compass?).

I've pretty much moved 100% to using LED headlamps (Princeton Tec EOS using three AAA batteries) since they allow me to be hands-free, are amazingly bright at high, just right amount of light in pitch darkness at low (think inside a tent), and allow use of alkaline, nickel metal hydride, or lithium batteries.

#290358 - 08/29/18 09:43 PM Re: 2 AA Flashlight [Re: Teslinhiker]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I've eliminated my EDC flashlight in favor of my smartphone. I might put a CR2032 light back on my keychain, but my keychain is already over gross with two car fobs.

#290359 - 08/29/18 09:50 PM Re: 2 AA Flashlight [Re: GoatRider]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I clip a 1xAAA LED light to the right hip pocket of my trousers for EDC. IMO it’s better to keep the battery in my cellphone available for calls rather than use its battery for light when a simple 1xAAA provides better illumination and doesn’t compromise my comms.

#290360 - 08/29/18 10:13 PM Re: 2 AA Flashlight [Re: KenK]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: KenK
I'm curious ... How are you carrying an EDC two AA flashlight? They seem kind of big (long) to me for EDC, unless you're carrying it in a bag of some kind.

Yes, I have a bag, which nowadays is mainly used for work and contains the usual EDC items. Outside of work, I don't usually carry an EDC bag as it is not too often, that I am not far from home, work or vehicle and I detest carrying anything in my pockets or on my key chain. Of course, any traveling outside our immediate area is a different situation and some EDC is carried.

My EDC is in pocket, so I carry a one AAA ARC light. It is not super bright, but enough if needed. Honestly, these days I usually carry my smartphone, and I've started thinking that with a flashlight app it is actually brighter than my ARC light. Maybe I'd be better using that ARC pocket space for something else (like a tiny compass?).

We have real bad power at work - and no one seems to grab the concept that they should think about having their own light source. And so, the only fear I have against using a flashlight app on my phone is that if I lend my phone out - the borrower drops and breaks the phone. Replacing a standalone flashlight is much cheaper and much less hassle then starting over with a new phone.

I've pretty much moved 100% to using LED headlamps (Princeton Tec EOS using three AAA batteries) since they allow me to be hands-free, are amazingly bright at high, just right amount of light in pitch darkness at low (think inside a tent), and allow use of alkaline, nickel metal hydride, or lithium batteries.

Yes, I have a couple of headlamps that are used for outdoor activities, but sometimes pulling out a flashlight is much easier.

John Lubbock

#290362 - 08/29/18 11:35 PM Re: 2 AA Flashlight [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
... the only fear I have against using a flashlight app on my phone is that if I lend my phone out - the borrower drops and breaks the phone. ...
The simple answer is to not lend out your phone, but you knew that.

Rather than a 2xAA, why not get two 1xAA LED lights. One you can lend if you think the other person absolutely reliable (the answer is “no, otherwise he’d have his own light”. The second light is not a loaner, not ever.

AA flashlights at CountyComm. I have both an older version of the Ti 1xAA and the current version of the Cu 1xAA. Both have the same simple interface, are very reliable and provide enough light — three modes, Low-Medium-High (5, 45 & 205 lumen). There are no strobes, S-O-S or other modes that are rarely if ever used.

#290363 - 08/30/18 12:06 AM Re: 2 AA Flashlight [Re: Teslinhiker]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have had a lot of good luck with Fenix. Durable switches and good form factors. You can find one to fit your needs and it won't cost too much.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.