Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#290294 - 08/22/18 01:33 PM Useful Electronic Gadget
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
https://cauldryn.com/

An electronically powered mug that will keep your coffee hot or boil water for actual cooking. When we bugged out last year one of these would have been very handy. Cook inside your vehicle without the complications of carbon monoxide.

Some models have USB so you can shuttle electrons around to lights and phones, etc.

No direct experience, but this looks intriguing....

Edited by hikermor (08/22/18 02:11 PM)

#290295 - 08/22/18 04:44 PM Re: Useful Electronic Gadget [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
They don't advertise the wattage of the heating element. At least I couldn't find that on their website. Without knowing that, you have no idea how long it would take to boil water. If it's not a powerful heating element, it could be like putting a pot of water in your oven set to 212 degrees. You would be waiting a LONG time for that to boil.

They have 12v immersion heaters:

https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Chocolate-...8SZA9R7VMG2FN4T

But I would use great care with one of these. First, your car's cigarette lighter plug may not power the thing (you possibly/probably could blow a car fuse). You might need to hook it directly to the car's battery, not via an outlet.

150 watts (as this immersion heater advertises) at 12v equals 12.5 amps. You might melt those thin-ish looking cables on the device at that amperage. And you might need an oven mitt to handle it. Is your cigarette lighter plug wired/fused for 12.5 amps? It's probably fused lower than that!

Notably, this immersion heater doesn't declare itself to be "UL Listed". I wonder why...

The original mug discussed in this thread advertises a separate 5v LiIon battery to power it. If the mug's heating element is, say, a measly 100 watts, lordy lordy, that would require 20 amps! You wouldn't even need a heating element to warm your coffee at that level. Drawing 20 amps out of one of these small LiIon batteries would heat it up so much that the battery alone would heat your water. No need for an external heating element. Just short the battery and drop it in your water directly.

#290296 - 08/22/18 04:47 PM Re: Useful Electronic Gadget [Re: hikermor]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Makita make a cordless coffee maker. Seems to make better sense if already have invested in batteries. Though says a 5Ah battery is just good for three 5 ounce coffees, each taking 7 mins.

Edited by Ren (08/22/18 04:48 PM)

#290297 - 08/22/18 05:57 PM Re: Useful Electronic Gadget [Re: Ren]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Call me old fashioned, but I started using the pour-over method for making coffee when my last coffee maker died. I can boil the water any way I like and then pour it over the coffee grounds using the same carafe and #4 filter as I used with the coffee maker. I’ve use this every day; last time we had a power outage I brought out the butane burner to boil the water and had coffee quicker than on the 220VAC stovetop burner.

That’s for making coffee. As for keeping coffee hot all day... who does that? Geez, if the coffee is so old you need a powered carafe to keep it hot you are taking too long. Make a fresh cup, your taste buds will thank you. This looks like a solution in search of a problem.

#290298 - 08/23/18 03:19 AM Re: Useful Electronic Gadget [Re: Russ]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Russ, we r with u. We use a Melita single cup top pour thru and #4 filter, every day. Often several times a day. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

We’ve been thinking of purchasing a butane single top cooker for blackouts & other electric interruptions. Did u research ur buy or was it spur of the moment. What model do u recommend?

Edited by acropolis5 (08/23/18 03:20 AM)

#290299 - 08/23/18 03:44 AM Re: Useful Electronic Gadget [Re: acropolis5]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Mine is similar to the Gas ONE GS-1000 Portable Butane Gas Stove except it came with a stainless steel body.

If I were to buy one today I’d look at the Iwatani 35FW Portable Butane Stove. It gets good reviews, but it’s a bit more $$$.

A couple words of warning. Watch the ventilation, it is a gas stove. Do not use a pan/pot that extends over the fuel canister, it can cause excess heat in the canister and that might be seriously bad.

OTOH, an MSR Pocket Rocket can boil water. That and a copper kettle (old Revere ware) are in my truck kit.

#290300 - 08/23/18 06:47 AM Re: Useful Electronic Gadget [Re: haertig]
M_a_x Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: haertig
They don't advertise the wattage of the heating element. At least I couldn't find that on their website.

I could not find it either and they do not list a time to boil the water. I think that is kind of suspisious.

Originally Posted By: haertig

The original mug discussed in this thread advertises a separate 5v LiIon battery to power it. If the mug's heating element is, say, a measly 100 watts, lordy lordy, that would require 20 amps!

Actually they do not. The USB output has 5 V (which is USB spec). Nominal voltages of LiIon batteries are multiples of 3.7 V. The ratio between battery capacity and Watt hour rating for the battery that comes with the mug indicates a single cell LiIon battery (which would be a nominal 3.7V). Typically an optimum discharge current would be at about 3 A and a high current while maintaining medium battery life at about 10 A. 10 h battery life (presumeably for keeping it warm) do not indicate a great insulation.
I would not buy this mug.

#290303 - 08/23/18 06:27 PM Re: Useful Electronic Gadget [Re: Russ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
Mine is similar to the Gas ONE GS-1000 Portable Butane Gas Stove except it came with a stainless steel body.

If I were to buy one today I’d look at the Iwatani 35FW Portable Butane Stove. It gets good reviews, but it’s a bit more $$$.

A couple words of warning. Watch the ventilation, it is a gas stove. Do not use a pan/pot that extends over the fuel canister, it can cause excess heat in the canister and that might be seriously bad.

OTOH, an MSR Pocket Rocket can boil water. That and a copper kettle (old Revere ware) are in my truck kit.

- My teardrop camper has one very similar to the above with about 8,000 BTU. The problem with butane is that is only good to about the freezing point. Butane bottles in packs are relatively economical.
- My MSR Micro Rocket I believe is about 8,200 BTUs on IsoButane. IsoButane is NOT economical but definitely convenient.
- My old Coleman Xtreme running on propane/butane mix has about 14,000 (I still have a box of fuel canisters for that beauty! Its perfect for the winter months but when I run out, I am out forever.)

#290304 - 08/24/18 02:36 AM Re: Useful Electronic Gadget [Re: Russ]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Russ: Thanx for the quick response. I’m thinking of purchasing this as an emergency back-up for power outages. I read the reviews on both stoves u mentioned. They both are highly rated. But the Iwatani is almost triple the price of the Gas ONE. I respect ur opinion. Please tell me why u favor the Iwatani over the Gas ONE.

#290305 - 08/24/18 02:45 AM Re: Useful Electronic Gadget [Re: acropolis5]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Purely subjective I suppose and that’s if I was buying one today. The Gas ONE is a great stove and meets all my needs in that class. The Iwatani seems to be built more to commercial standards and if I were in the market today, a year from now I wouldn’t miss the extra $$$.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.