Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#290219 - 08/15/18 01:00 PM Re: A SAR Travestry [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
AKSAR — Could the winch mission have made sense in this case from a training perspective? Especially since the helo was onsite due to the search?

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/15/18 01:00 PM)
Edit Reason: Word choice

#290220 - 08/15/18 02:10 PM Re: A SAR Travestry [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am skeptical about the need for winch use in this case, but I believe AKSAR has nailed an important consideration - justifying the capability.

This applies to more than just helos and their winches. It is also a consideration for rescue organizations (and their wenches). If the outfit is called insufficiently, members lose interest and acquire other priorities. Regular exercise is good for organizations, as well as individuals....

Every request for assistance should be treated as an emergency, with prompt response, but I think that in this case, response by a ground team would have been fine.

I am reasonably familiar with the back country in question, and it is pretty mellow terrain. In fact, I am genuinely puzzled as to how the victim became disoriented. It is summer here in SoCal - temps are moderate and there are no storms of any consequence. But thank heaven he did not light a signal fire......

I agree that helos are wonderful tools, but they do have their hazards. The only SAR-related memorial service I have ever attended was for a pilot and copilot who crashed while returning to base from their last mission of the day. They had just dropped off two of our group.....

Edited by hikermor (08/15/18 02:14 PM)

#290221 - 08/15/18 06:21 PM Re: A SAR Travestry [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
AKSAR — Could the winch mission have made sense in this case from a training perspective? Especially since the helo was onsite due to the search?
Possibly. That's how the AF and ANG rescue teams (PJs, Pavehawks, and HC-130s) justify doing civilian rescue. The USCG is mandated to do civil SAR, primarily maritime. They can easily justify maintaining winch capability on that basis. The USCG gets enough maritime missions to keep them in practice. The AF SAR folks mission is only to rescue military personnel, and they can justify maintaining the capability on that basis. But the AF/ANG wouldn't get as much opportunity to actually do it, at least when they aren't deployed down range. So for them, doing civil SAR missions is easily justified as training.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am skeptical about the need for winch use in this case, but I believe AKSAR has nailed an important consideration - justifying the capability.
This is really the crux of the issue. How much of this sort of capability do we need in any one area? Too little, and you won't have it when you really need it. Too much, and you start using it in questionable cases. I can easily see that Ventura County could justify having a basic helo. But do they really need their own winch capability that bad? Or could they call on nearby USCG or AF assets when they really need it? I'm asking the question. I don't know the answer.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The only SAR-related memorial service I have ever attended was for a pilot and copilot who crashed while returning to base from their last mission of the day. They had just dropped off two of our group.....
Ditto for me. A helo pilot and State Trooper died, on a mission that was probably not necessary.

#290223 - 08/15/18 08:25 PM Re: A SAR Travestry [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

[quote=hikermor] I am skeptical about the need for winch use in this case, but I believe AKSAR has nailed an important consideration - justifying the capability.
This is really the crux of the issue. How much of this sort of capability do we need in any one area? Too little, and you won't have it when you really need it. Too much, and you start using it in questionable cases. I can easily see that Ventura County could justify having a basic helo. But do they really need their own winch capability that bad? Or could they call on nearby USCG or AF assets when they really need it? I'm asking the question. I don't know the answer.

Good question. We have lately been having problems with big fires and mudslides (Montecito) and I believe there were some hoist ops at Montecito. Of course,this is earthquake country, and when the Big One arrives, doubtless we will be hoisting and dropping in aplenty. and there is a big ocean at our doorstep, and hoisting comes in handy there,as well.

It seems to me that hoisting helos are more generally in use than was the case thirty or so years ago. I just need to keep up with the times.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.