Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#290145 - 08/04/18 01:00 AM Good Article on FA Kits
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/first-aid-kits-treatment#1

I ran across this article and i think it is worth reading - basically a basic kit for home and general use and others for specialized situations. The authors point out that you can assemble a good kit quite economically..

#290149 - 08/04/18 08:58 AM Re: Good Article on FA Kits [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
It has been my experience that first aid bags and cases work best because they are compartmentalized for specific items.

In my opinion, for those who are putting one together for the first time, it is best to buy an off-the-shelf kit and modify it for your situation. What you start out with does matter. Therefore, start with a good brand like TRI or Johnson & Johnson.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290150 - 08/04/18 01:54 PM Re: Good Article on FA Kits [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What appealed to me, and what has been true in my experience, is that components are available singly at much better prices than offered in the pre-assembled kits. Starting with the generalized home kit, they then discuss its for more specific situations.

I was struck by their specific inclusion of a lighter for "wilderness" situations, where lighting a fire for signalling and other uses could be critical.

The article seems to be trending toward a FAKASK (first aid kit and survival kit) which rings true in my experience. Once you have tended the fractures, etc. you have to keep everyone in as comfortable condition as possible, until transport to definitive care... Believe me, this can involve everything you have in your pack and then some. Not an issue in urban areas, where the ER is just around the corner.

#290151 - 08/04/18 02:16 PM Re: Good Article on FA Kits [Re: hikermor]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I have several 'kits' that are first-aid in nature but they vary quite a bit. I've been an EMT, dumb kid, street cop, CO, office dweller and am currently a cubical / keyboard old-fart commando in our state Corrections training shop. Computers, rookies, bureaucrats & paper have become my life...

Anyway, I have discovered over time and different jobs that the kit I carry or have at-hand will depend on what/where I am doing things. Work - way different than what is in the car as it is geared for what can happen in an urban office environment and/or if I'm working at a prison site and/or 'on the street' in the field doing training and it has something for GSW (gun shot wound) for example. The car kit is built around vehicle accident concerns and there are not specific GSW supplies there. The Get Home/ready Bag FA kit is a lot more generalized and has more "stuff" in it as well.

Sure, there is a lot of cross-over between them but as I've built them they have evolved to meet more specific situations. As I am usually in a city or very close to substantial medical help I also tend to have stocked things to respond to immediate need and don't have resources for long-term support. If I am going out hunting in the boondocks with my buddy - that kit gets built for the trip and is a unique combination of all the others and has included materials for longer term support until help arrives.

Just thinking out-loud... folks need to start from a baseline of general needs and then flesh it out with what is best for their environment, needs and expected conditions. So, a pre-built kit may be a great starting point but it is just that, a start and should be customized to meet your expected needs and skill set.

Paul -

#290153 - 08/04/18 10:22 PM Re: Good Article on FA Kits [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
What appealed to me, and what has been true in my experience, is that components are available singly at much better prices than offered in the pre-assembled kits.

It has been my experience that if I try to go cheap, I'll either end up spending more money or get something inferior. The exception to that is if I have put a similar item together before or I have a model to copy.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290154 - 08/05/18 06:28 AM Re: Good Article on FA Kits [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Itīs not neccessarily going cheap. Sometimes it is possible to get the items assembled in the kit for a better price. When buying in bulk (e. g. for assembling several FAKs) the price can be significantly better.
In some cases buying the kit can be the better choice. In Germany it is required to have a standardized FAK (DIN 13164) in the vehicle. Typically the kit can be bought around 9€. The items in the kit usually are of good quality. I recently ditch my vehicle kit as the sterile items expired. The adhesives where still good despite of sitting in the car for 5 years.

#290155 - 08/05/18 12:52 PM Re: Good Article on FA Kits [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Itīs not neccessarily going cheap. Sometimes it is possible to get the items assembled in the kit for a better price. When buying in bulk (e. g. for assembling several FAKs) the price can be significantly better.

In the past, when I attempted to build something from the ground up to save money, I end up spending more money than what I saved. But, once I correctly make one unit, I can then make as many as I want for the price of the components.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (08/05/18 12:54 PM)

#290171 - 08/08/18 06:36 PM Re: Good Article on FA Kits [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes I've added a small lighter, photon type flashlight, tweezers, OTC meds, 2" folding knife and exam gloves to my wilderness kit.

#290172 - 08/08/18 07:07 PM Re: Good Article on FA Kits [Re: hikermor]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
We often get the German DIN 13164 standard car first aid kits here in the UK in ALDI's (a german company) for around Ģ6.

They are top notch and make super presents. Well made, durable and no stinting. Worth every penny.

#290180 - 08/09/18 02:15 PM Re: Good Article on FA Kits [Re: Ian]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Just being curious: Those kits come with an inventory list and a first aid manual. Do you get it printed in English?

The kit has the advantage that the content is made to survive the punishing environment in a car for several years. I think that adds some extra value even for EDC and wilderness kits.

There is also a kit DIN 13167 for motorcycles. The are as well made as the standard vehicle kit but come in a smaller zipper pouch with a little less content. I tossed one in my rifle bag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.