The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#290142 - 08/03/18 02:08 PM TSA Confiscated Item Auction
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
If anyone knows where the TSA auctions off confiscated items, I just had an RSK Mk.2 confiscated out of my bag at JFK airport. I didn't realize it was in my carry-on when I got to security, and I knew there was a problem as soon as I saw the look on the x-ray machine operator's face..

Agents were firm but respectful, and when they saw how pissed off my wife was they actually took some pity on me and started cracking jokes.

They would have allowed me to take it back to my car, but I would have missed my flight, so into the confiscation bin it went.

Expensive mistake learned - check my bags VERY CAREFULLY before heading to the airport. Not the first time this has happened, but first time I've had to abandon the knife.

(At least it was not one of the out-of-production Ritters. I should have a new one waiting for me upon my return!)

#290143 - 08/03/18 03:25 PM Re: TSA Confiscated Item Auction [Re: Jesselp]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I always COMPLETELY empty my carry ons before I leave for the airport. I have learned the same lesson the hard way. I will empty it, turn it upside down and shake it out. I put my hands in all of the cracks, corners and pockets. A good knife is a terrible thing to lose.

#290144 - 08/04/18 01:00 AM Re: TSA Confiscated Item Auction [Re: Jesselp]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Govdeals.com has a TSA and other sources of confiscated items

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Ma...amp;category=30

#290146 - 08/04/18 01:07 AM Re: TSA Confiscated Item Auction [Re: Jesselp]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
I had the same problem once at the Harrisburg, PA airport when I forgot to check my Swiss Army Knife when deploying to Haiti after the 2010 earthquake.
A helpful police officer at the TSA checkpoint asked me for $5, went to the nearest airport shop, bought me a mailer, and on the spot I dropped my knife into the mailbox. It was home when I arrived back home.
Makes me wonder if being really prepared is keeping a stamped padded mailing envelope in our carry-ons at all times is what being really prepared requires.
8^)

#290147 - 08/04/18 01:31 AM Re: TSA Confiscated Item Auction [Re: Famdoc]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Famdoc
Makes me wonder if being really prepared is keeping a stamped padded mailing envelope in our carry-ons at all times...

Maybe you said that half in jest, half seriously, ... but I'm going to do exactly that. Great idea!

I'm a pretty anally-retentive personality, so the prospects of me accidentally ending up with contraband at a TSA checkpoint are about 1 in 27.3 trillion. But the REST of my family, ... not so much!

#290148 - 08/04/18 02:35 AM Re: TSA Confiscated Item Auction [Re: Famdoc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Noted a lot of approx "seven pounds of Leatherman multitools." that is an assemblage to which I have contributed in the past - c'est la vie!

#290152 - 08/04/18 02:38 PM Re: TSA Confiscated Item Auction [Re: Jesselp]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

Happened to me, too, in Boston. Fallkniven F1 that lived in my EDC daypack that became my carryon. I had a good outcome, however.

The X-ray tech pointed to the image and asked, "What's this?" I said, "Oh gosh darn it to heck" (something like that) immediately when I realized what it was. The tech walked me out of the inspection area to a kiosk which had shipping envelopes. The knife went into the envelope with credit card info.

I thought the odds were no better than even that I would ever see it again. But it arrived home about three weeks later. What surprised me was that it came from North Carolina. Apparently there is a company there that gathers and returns such stuff.

With all the (often deserved) bad press that the TSA gets it is nice to be able to report extra effort good treatment.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.