Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290080 - 07/27/18 09:57 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I am still baffled by these designers who make a light default to high power mode. There are no situations in which I can imagine anyone in need of a general purpose utility light would ever want it to turn on in the brightest mode.

#290081 - 07/27/18 10:18 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The zebralight UI is complex. They generally will turn on to the level last used. But if you press the button and hold, they ramp from low to mid to high. You can adjust the intensities of the mid and high levels. And somewhere in there are strobes and SOS modes, barely useful.

Mostly what I care about - when I hit the button, there is light. Fiat lux!

When I activate mine, i simply hold the button until I get to the mid level - great for reading at night. When caving, the high beam is frequently useful, as is the very lowest level. It is nice to have the variable levels and it is good to see that as a common feature.

There have been plenty of occasions where I have wanted all the light possible, and right away. And i am a fan of using adapted night vision as much as possible, with minimal artificial lighting - often none at all with a starry sky or moon out.

Edited by hikermor (07/27/18 10:26 PM)

#290083 - 07/27/18 11:29 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: amper
Thanks. I looked at the YouTube video for the Rev 1 AA, and the switch does go low/med/high. I hope that still holds true for the Rev 2 model.

It does. For some reason, the CC Maratac AAA lights start at Medium, then Low, then High. The AA lights start at Low, then Medium, then High.

I’m like you, I prefer the light to start at Low when it’s dark. For that reason the CC Maratac AA lights with the Nichia 219 (warmer-neutral) work well. The latest AA Ti uses a Nichia 219BT, and the word “cool” is in the description (as in “Whiter / True Color - Neutral White - Cool”), but so is neutral, so I don’t know what that means. I have the previous version.

#290085 - 07/28/18 01:48 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
--whoops-- I just re-read your post and noticed you want a AA battery and my recommendation below is AAA. I will leave the post anyway.
----------

I prefer a fenix E05. Now about $20 or less. Runs on one AAA cell and is not much bigger than the AAA cell.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/e05-fenix-flashlight/

Setting Lumens run time
Low 8 15h
Medium 25 4h 15min
High 85 45min

I have carried this light for years and have found it to be well suited to my needs. It has a twisty tail turn on, which many folks do not like. However it find it very reliable and although not as convenient as a push switch, it has not failed in years of constant carry/use.

I use enloop rechargeables which I swap for a fresh one at least once a week just cause it is easy to do and that way I have a fully charged light.

I find the low setting (default at turn on) to be more than adequate although sometimes I put my finger over most of the lens to reduce output w hen I need a very low light level like when using it close to others who are sleeping.

The high power setting is enough for most "need a bright light" applications. This light will get me to my stash of really high powered lights should I need one.

It rides on my key ring, attached with a small "S" 'biner which makes it very easy to remove. I added a pocket clip which I use to clip it to the brim of my hat when I need a headlamp.

On medium power it is bright enough for me to use as a headlight when riding my bike at night.

Bottom line is that for me, it has performed very well over several years and has become so much a part of my EDC that I am never without it. I have several stashed in various kits.

Nomad

Edited by Nomad (07/28/18 01:53 PM)
Edit Reason: Noticed OP looking for AA, not AAA.

#290087 - 07/28/18 04:21 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Welcome back...

I KNOW this doesn't 'meet' all your criteria but I EDC a minimag solitaire. Yes I know AAA and only one level (approx)35 lumen.

I have found it to be VERY suitable for the EDC roll it plays for me. PLENTY of light to work by. VERY compact. VERY affordable (about $15). Easy to obtain (Walmart/Target etc). Standard size battery.

I've been using (I don't abuse but I'm NOT gentle) it for several years now... I REALLY like it.

Just my 2c.

#290088 - 07/29/18 01:19 AM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Welcome back. My EDC flashlights are key chain carried. Main light is a Fenix EO5 with a lithium battery. Back-up ( two is one, etc...) is a Photon Freedom with a yellow LED, carried backwards in its neck dangler, to prevent accidental “on”. This combo has been my “ go to” for many years in a highly urban environment.

Like you, I also keep handy, an Infinity Light, albeit a later Gerber version. I use mine i at home, at night, when I don’t want to light up the room or for various in-home chores. With a lithium battery, it lasts for 6+ months of daily intermittent use, at a minimum. NB: if you ball-up a bit of aluminum foil as a filler, the Infinity will run on a AAA battery.

#290095 - 07/30/18 04:01 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: acropolis5]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
+1 Acropolis

Primary also Fenix E05 (one on each keychain)

Found a neat little Fenix UC02 that is on my work lanyard rechargeabel via USB, 35 minutes on high (130 lumen) # hrs 50 min on low (10 lumen); only 1 inch long.

I have an E01 in my winter coat too...

#290096 - 07/30/18 08:30 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: CJK]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

I gave up on Mag-Lites after the switch on the AA LED unit I bought stop working. I do have one old AA unit in a toolbox, and I did have another with a Nite-Ize upgrade pack and tail switch, but I left it at a friend's place in CA.

But my bigger issue with Mag-Lites is their low runtime, because they lack effective regulators.

#290097 - 07/30/18 08:30 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: hikermor]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

I checked Zebralight's specs for every model that seemed to be in the class I want, and all of them went hi/med/low.

#290098 - 07/30/18 08:48 PM Re: Flashlights, bit of a rant/need recommendations. [Re: amper]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: amper
But my bigger issue with Mag-Lites is their low runtime, because they lack effective regulators.

I haven't had that problem. I get eighty hours of 168 lumens from my MAG-LITE.

http://www.maglite.com/shop/flashlights/full-size-flashlights/maglite-3-cell-d-led-flashlight.html

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.